Menu

What are you doing for 8th grade

I need some ideas for next year.

I have two 13 yrs girls, one 11yrs girl, one 5yrs boy and one 2yrs boy.

The last two have autism and the last one is nonverbal and may have apraxia in addition to autism and uses sign language to communicate right now.  My days are filled with therapy sessions: ABA and speech. 

I am also now a new grandma by my 18yrs old 

We are with a charter school that helps with purchasing some of the curriculum but then they have their "requirements".

So far we have been using Moving Beyond the Page and I like it a lot. I like that my older girls can use it independently and are actually reading books and thinking about them more indepthly. I like the literature component but haven't used the history and science much. There are a lot of hands on activities and some of them seem like busywork and too complicated. Some requires me to buy even more supplies. 

We also use Attuneup for writing, Math in Focus, Singapore Challenging Word Problems (have a Skype tutor for that). 

They use Zingy, Waggle (all three of the older ones) and one of them uses Lets Go Learn Math for remediation for 5th. 

I also got JiJi math from UC Davis MindInstitute for the 5th and Ker. 

Ker uses Reading Eggs, Math Eggs, Logic of English Foundations, Handwriting with out tears and Moving Beyond the Page Prek (helps with history and Science). I had him signed up with Science 4 Us but really didn;t take to it. He struggles. 

Analytical Grammar worked well from my older daughters. 

FLL 4 right now with 5th grader is moving slowly. 

For Science mostly this year Education Exploration for the older three girls. Not the Ker. 

I need something inspiring and I feel overwhelmed. Kind of all over the place. 

The thread title says 8th grade so here are my plans for my dd13.

Excellence in Literature, WWS2, Vocab from Classical Roots

Aops Pre-A/Algebra 1

Physical Science (Derek Owens?)

The Medieval and Early Modern World (OUP)

Spanish 1 (tutor?)

Band (flute)

Cross country/archery

• Like 2

What is Excellence in LIterature?

I am jealous you have your kids so close in age.....

The gap kids are what is killing me. Huge gap kids. 

Dealing with near high school kids and toddlers UGH! 

Then phone calls from my 20yrs old about job problems or my 18yrs old about breastfeeding issue and my 16yrs old about her boy issues. Calgon Take me AWay!

If it helps, what we did for 8th grade (some of it was spread from summer prior to 8th and into summer after):

math: Saxon algebra 1 at your own pace online with the Virtual Homeschool Group (free)

history: Modern world history using Hakim's The Story of Us as primary spine, k12's History Odyssey at home and a current events discussion group through co-op using Scholastic's Upfront magazine

English: outsourced class using WriteShop 2

Science: Holt Physical Science at home

Foreign language: outsourced  online Spanish 1 with Spanish Clicks (through the Virtual Homeschool Group)

health:  Our Whole Lives 40 hour human sexuality class through our Unitarian Universalist church and a Glencoe health textbook at home

elective: "The Effects of Inequality on Literature and Culture," outsourced online free lit class through the Virtual Homeschool Group) and a classics book club through them as well.

elective:  Biblical literacy with text "The Bible and Its Influence" from the Bible Literacy Project (secular textbook designed for use in public schools) at  home (this was summer prior to 8th)

art: Intro to theatre and performing arts class put together from working backstage in a 10 week production of "South Pacific'' with local community theater, material from Digital Theatre Plus, weekly drawing class including working on set painting with art teacher (who did set design for the show)

did a 14 week discussion class intro to psychology through co-op that we treated as an extracurricular, since she had no output other than discussion required (fall) and an SAT/ACT test prep class with them (spring).

• Like 2

This looks good too.

So the Excellence In Literature Curriculum looks great but my daughters need it to be a class based, online or they would never get it done. The classes seem to hold them accountable otherwise their minds wander and they are off doing other things not what they should be doing. 

So are there any online classes teaching Intro to Lit based on Excellence in Literature Curriculum?

I have an age spread of 13-2 as well. We also have a fair number of outside appointments.

I view 8th grade as a transition year. My child next year will be doing:

Algebra I

WWS2 (he's been a bit slow in writing), Voyages in English 8 (grammar portion)

PH Science Explorer Physical Science

Spanish

history--still up in the air--most likely researching and writing on various topics or Omnibus I

computer programming--most likely Scratch 2.0

I arrange an hour or so after lunch to meet with him daily and touch base and answer questions.

• Like 1

This looks good too.

So the Excellence In Literature Curriculum looks great but my daughters need it to be a class based, online or they would never get it done. The classes seem to hold them accountable otherwise their minds wander and they are off doing other things not what they should be doing.

So are there any online classes teaching Intro to Lit based on Excellence in Literature Curriculum?

Somewhere on the website there is a tutor mentioned that helps with grading/critiquing which I hope to use, but I don'the know of any online classes. I'm sorry. One of the skills that it advertises as learned through the program is time management. Lol
  • Like 1

I was going to highly suggest MBTP's LA but I see you're using it!  Mine are sailing with this curriculum.  Just omit what you consider busy work and go to the next thing.  Same thing with materials you might not have on hand.  We didn't care as much for the Science, the Social studies is pretty good, but we *love* the LA.  The rest is in my siggy. 

• Like 1

I will have an 8th grader next year, and I'm pretty set about curriculum as it's mostly a continuation of what we're doing this year! I can't say that what I'm doing is inspiring per se, but it is a good fit for my kid and easy to organize & implement. He's successful and that in itself is inspiring, you know?

Math: Holt Course 3. It has online instruction, printable worksheets, and cumulative review after every chapter. (We are doing Course 2 this year)
Science: Holt Science & Technology physical science. The printable resources make this so easy to implement. (We are doing Life this year)
History: Bookshark 8 History (We are finishing up world history with K12's Human Odyssey series this year)
Writing: Essentials in Writing 8 - using the essay writing lessons to write about literature and history (We are doing 7 this year)
Literature: MBTP 12-14 LA (We are doing MBTP 11-13 LA this year)
Grammar: Exercises in English H (8) by Loyola Press

Technology Elective: Game Design 1 & 2 from Youth Digital

PE, chess, robotics and maybe art will be outsourced.

• Like 1

We are also continuing a lot of this year:

English: Glencoe American Lit, Window to the world, They say, I say, novels

History: American Odyssey, Reading like Historian, history portfolio, crash course, lots of videos

Math: Geometry (going to try Saxon)

Science: General Science Review (Galore Park Science 2 and videos)

French: ( Still not sure!)

Ballet (currently at 14 hrs of class/week... Hoping not more!)

• Like 1

These are my plans for 8th grade in fall:

Math: MEP Year 9

English: Climbing to Good English 8

Vocab: Vocabulary Cartoons

Writing: outlines, rewrites & lit. essays (a la SWB)

Science: Apologia Physical science

History: mishmash of modern and Canadian using a large variety of books/texts

French: continue L'art de Lire levels

Logic: Fallacy Detective

And we'll see if he wants to continue piano lessons or not.

• Like 1

For 8th grade, we're planning:

* Updated May 2015 *

• Writing With Skill 2 (currently following SWB's "second progression" ), Killgallon for style, Mosdos Gold, continue working slowly through Hake Grammar 7, then find something for grammar review to continue into high school                                    DS requested a new approach to writing, so we're planning a high-school-ish Intro to Literature and Composition course. We'll focus on improving essay-writing skills, writing mostly about literature and adding a few history-related essays. We'll build this around skills learned from The Lively Art of Writing, Writing With a Thesis, and The Elements of Style.
  • continue Foerster Algebra I with Math Without Borders videos
  • Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science   Physical Science: Concepts in Action
  • K12's American Odyssey with Luckymama's schedule/supplements: http://nowisthebesttimeofourlives.blogspot.com/p/american-history-with-the.html (Luckymama, thank you so much for sharing!)
  • finish Art of Argument and World Religions (finished World Religions sooner than expected)
  • continue outsourced piano and art lessons, HS PE class, YMCA membership
  • Like 3

Here's what i have lined up tentatively:

1) math: Algebra 2 Wilson Hill.

2) science: physics with clover creek

3) writing: attuneup

4) history: continue with modern history and K12 American Odyssey.

5) geography with WTM Academy?

6) Spanish: either online or continue Breaking the Barrier

tae kwon do.

• Like 1

We started our new school year in January (we're really off-schedule).  My 13 year-old is doing:

1.  Lial's Algebra 1 (she's about a third of the way thru this already - we are moving very slowly, because I want her to really know what she's doing)

2.  Easy Grammar Plus (she's about halfway thru this - we'll never finish this thing)

3.  Daily journaling/notebooking

4.  She must have one work of literature going at all times - she's reading The Yearling right now.  Before that, she read Animal Farm and Julie of the Wolves.

5.  Self-directed learning - this is our trial year to see if this is how high school will look.  We are basically studying whatever she wants.  So far, we've watched MacBeth, she's about halfway through The Iliad and we're reading The Cartoon Guide to Genetics together.

I have started some serious record-keeping now.

• Like 2

This year for 8th grade ds is doing:

English:  Short stories and poetry by Shel Silverstein

Math:  Saxon Algebra 1

Science:  Holt Physical Science (Science & Technology Series)

Social Studies:  Informal study of 20th century American history 

Plus:  Tons of field trips and homeschool group classes (5-7 per month), computer self-study (programs, applications, coding, and creating tutorial videos), nutrition & fitness research, and Confirmation classes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my plans for next fall:

MUS--she's working behind level and I really want her to get through preAlg. next year

LLATL--7th grade book (I placed her behind last year since she had just read one of the 7th grade books and I didn't feel up to Shakespeare)  :blushing:

MOH combined with extra readers

AIG God's Design series--not sure which books yet.

Luther's Catechism--this is mostly review for her, but we study it as a family

Charlotte Mason style studies with family

piano

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We are considering this 8th grade for now, but it may become 7th eventually.

Dd11 will be doing some new things and some continuations.

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Writing: WWS II

English: We are thinking off MCT. We were going to use ML I, but it was recommended we do Voyages first. Voyages is on its way. We'll see how it looks.

Literature: Free reading and Prose and Poetry along with literature in

ToG for Social Studies: Year one - We will be floating between D and R levels depending on the week.

Latin: Wheelock's

Some kind of Economics unit

Some kind of logic

I'm open to suggestions

Activities: Piano, TKD, soccer

• Like 1

My plan isn't firm yet, but this is what I'm considering:

Foerster Algebra 1

English/Composition- R&S 8, Windows to the World, Vocab from Classical Roots, WWS2 (maybe WTM online class)

Science - Biology Exploring Life (just because I have it), Mr Q Advanced Chemistry

History - Modern History using A Light to the Nations Part 2

Geography - maybe WTM academy class

Latin - finish Henle Latin 1 with Memoria Press guide

Logic - need to figure this out

piano, swim team, currently looking into trying martial arts

• Like 1

here are my plans:

Apologia Bible
Math u See pre algebra
EIW 8
BJU grammar
MP Lit guides
SWO H
AIG science with siblings
SOTW 4 with siblings

Band (clarinet) with local private school
Piano lesson
Voice lesson
Basketball with local private school
Choir at church
Activities at our church's homeschool group I just started..yea me !! Lol

• Like 1

My oldest will be 8th grade next year.  So far, this is the plan:

English:

• Jump In Writing
  • 2nd half of Giggly Guide to Grammar
  • All About Spelling 5 (yes, we're still slogging though spelling)
  • Literature (still deciding)

Math:

• Finish Life of Fred Beginning Algebra
  • Begin Life of Fred Advanced Algebra
  • Balance Benders Book 3
  • Understanding Geometry

History

• Modern History (written by me to use K12 Human Odyssey end of vol 2 & vol 3)

Science

• Quirks and Quarks Biology

Latin

• Lively Latin 2

I think that is all of the academic classes.  She'll be combined with siblings for Art & Poetry.  She also participates in chorus and PE.

• Like 1

I've written it out before, but it's changed since then. I've started ordering now, in the hopes that I won't change again, lol.

Second half of Algebra 1, and Algebra 2. I have no clue what we'll use. She's sick to death of CLE, so she wants to ditch it next year. She loves the looks of AOPS, but I'm not sure she can swing it - it's reading heavy, she's dyslexic. We don't have a ton of time left before high school for flopping around in math programs. She does best with a spiral math program, but there's nothing for that after Algebra 1.

Literature: Mosdos Press Grade 8

Science: She's requested conceptual genetics. I'll do that, with literature, and I'm requiring she do chemistry alongside it (Ellen McHenry).

Government/Economics: Our Lady of Victory School's Civics program, alongside the Uncle Eric Series, and American Voices by Notgrass.

Religion: YOUCAT confirmation prep, saint stories

Spelling: Apples and Pears B or C

Composition: we aren't. We're going to concentrate on building stamina, grammar, and spelling. We'll use Blackbird and Co's "Intro to Composition" the summer before high school.

Grammar: Second half of CLE LA 6

Latin: Latin Alive 1

Logic: The Art of Argument

So as not to overwhelm her, Monday-Thursday will be only our cores: Math, Literature, Spelling, Latin; rotating religion and grammar; rotating government and science (so Monday and Wednesday, Grammar and Science; Tuesday and Thursday Religion and Government/Economics). I also plan for government and economics to take two years. Fridays are an enrichment day for her younger brothers, and will be for her, too - games, logic, catch up on any assignments that aren't completed; her brothers have geography, logic games, religion enrichment, and science/nature study on Fridays.

• Like 1

I have lots of age gaps with my younger kids.  My 9th and 7th graders can be mostly independent, so I'm thankful for that.  Here's what my current 7th grader will be doing next year for 8th:

MOH last 3 quarters of Volume II and some of Volume III - Medieval up through the North American explorers - I read the lesson and discuss with everybody, then he'll do some extra reading from Human Odyssey and History of US and write a research paper on a topic of his choice

Figuratively Speaking and 1 Progeny Press literature guide (Crispin)

Video Text Algebra - I'll watch the videos each day with him (about 15 min or so) and then he'll do the exercises

Piano

Artistic Pursuits

Apologia Physical Science with a science fair project added in

Analytical Grammar Season 3 (I'll spend about 20 minutes a day for about half the year with him on this)

Wordsmith Craftsman

Vocab from Classical Roots

Misc. career exploration websites and books

Codyear.com

Reading list:  King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table, Arabian Nights, Nordic Gods and Heroes, Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, Call It Courage, Robin Hood, Adam of the Road, Single Shard, Door in the Wall, Joan of Arc, Trumpeter of Krakow

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also have kids ranging from 12 to 2 - always makes science and history interesting!

The plan for 8th grade:

History - Heavily supplemented SOTW4 (with Human Odyssey and more)

Math - Saxon Algebra 1/2 and Algebra 1

Physics - Exploration Education

Grammar - R&S 8

Writing/Literature - WWS3 and Excellence in Literature

Latin - Second Form Latin (probably online at Memoria Press)

Economics/Personal Finance - (haven't decided yet)

Logic - Traditional Logic II

Catholicism - in depth study of the Mass/History of the Church

Piano/Voice Lessons

Vocal Performance - statewide 4H singing group

Homeschool Co-op - (hopefully drama)

Whew! Busy!

• Like 1

Next year in 8th grade we are planning (for DD 12 - soon to be 13):

- Saxon Algebra I (with Singapore as a supplement)

- Hewitt Conceptual Physics with Exploration Education for hands-on activities

- MP Second Form Latin

- French with a private tutor (and the Valette Red Discovering French book)

- History Odyssey (Modern World), along with "History of the Thirteen Colonies and the Great Republic"

- Rod and Staff English and spelling , along with literature and poetry from the Modern Era

- WWS II

• Like 1

These are our plans so far.

Geometry - geometry sections from NEM 1 and NEM 2 supplemented by Geometry: A Guided Inquiry G.D. Chakerian

Grammar - Warriner's 2nd course 

Literature - Elements of Literature 2nd Course, Windows to World Literary Analysis

Writing - Write with Skill 3 or Elegant Essay?  Daily Paragraph Editing

History - History of US Books 6-9

Spanish Paso A Paso -  Found an online Spanish Immersion Program, but I haven't used it yet  yabla.com

Science - Dd wants to study botany  The Botany Coloring Book, Botany in a Day by Thomas J. Elpel,  - I think this will take 3-4 months

Robotics using a programmable robot from Home Science Tools - I think this will take 4-6 weeks

The rest of the year I think we will use Physical Science for Middle School by CK12 unless there is a different topic she takes on interest in

logic Fallacy Detective and puzzles

Assigned Reading

The Westing Game

The Third Chimpanzee for Young People

Flowers for Algernon

The Outsiders

The Once and Future King

The Diary of Anne Frank

To Kill A Mockingbird

Alice in Wonderland

Alas, Babylon

The Bean Trees

The Secret Life of Bees

The HitchhikerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Guide to the Galaxy

• Like 1

Math -- DM 8B and prep for Grade 9 exam to be able to skip to grade 10 math

English -- WWS3, CLE Literature, finish R&S Grammer 7

History -- MOH 4

Science -- Apologia Physical Science

French -- L'art d'ecrire and Rosetta Stone

Bible -- Most Important Thing You Will Ever Study -- New Testament

Music -- Violin (lessons, ensemble, orchestra...)

It will be his last year homeschooling before heading off to high school -- I hope he is ready!

Julie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have two middle schoolers and a 2 y.o.

My 8th grade son will be using:

Math Saxon Algebra 1/2

English SWR, AG, English Lessons Through Literature 5 I really like the looks of this, but as I was writing it out in my planner, I think it might be too much to add to what we are already doing. Depending on how it goes, I may change my mind and add it back in. 

Lit: Teaching the Classics/WttW

History Classical Historian American

I have high hopes for this. I like that this is taught once a week and they work on their assignments throughout the week. It teaches "the tools of the historian", so they will learn to do research and write essays about what they are studying.

Civics Our Constitution Rocks & One Vote by Ben Carson, possibly volunteer for a presidential candidate

Geography North Star Geography I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t decided if I will do this in one year or use the two year plan.

Science A Beka Academy Earth & Space? Not sure on this. I still have to check it out at a materials display.

Piano lessons, nutrition, Chinese, starting career exploration

Interest led: Stock market IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m still looking for resources to use for this.

• Like 1

I'm finishing writing a book around designing your own curriculum.  I went into the project based on writing it around something a young man once told me he would have liked to do.  So I was designing it with him in mind.  Mid-way through my 7th grade dd asked me if she could do it next yr.  (I have to say I was floored b/c she is a girly girl and this is very much something my sons would have loved.  But, her dad and her oldest brother have talked to her about doing some of the things with her like orienteering, sailing, camping, etc so I think that is part of the attraction.)

Anyway, for 8th she will be doing a list of classical lit combined with a King Arthur study/history of England, WWI, astronomy, cartography, navigation/orienteering, geography (all of those are woven together) and Foerster's alg and the 2nd half of Wheelock's.

• Like 1

Our plan for next year:

L.A.:  

K12 Literary Analysis and Composition (includes Diary of a Young Girl, Antigone, Romeo & Juliet & various short stories + poetry)

finish Hake 8 Grammar

Scripps Spelling Bee spelling lists and vocabulary

Maths:  Saxon Algebra II with Geometry (I think - she tested into this and Advanced Maths so I am just :willy_nilly: )  Saxon Algebra II and Advanced Maths with Art Reed DVDs

History:  K12 Human Odyssey, volume 2

Science:  Physical Science:  Concepts & Connections with Dive CDs + QSL MicroPhySci lab kit

Foreign Language:  Spanish with charter school + something else (Athena conversational Spanish, maybe?  Middlebury, maybe?)  Not sure if she will continue French.

Computer Science:  Java Android Programming Amplify AP Computer Science

P.E.:  Ballet

• Like 1

I am surprised where we ended up with my Ds, 13. For 8th :

Jacobs geometry

Notgrass America the Beautiful

Long list of American lit

Apologia physical science

Easy Grammar Plus

IEW SWI-CC B

Reading detective

Fallacy Detective

English from the roots up/vocab for classical roots

Online: office applications, foreign language overview

Haven't decided on Bible or physical activity

• Like 1

I'm updating my plans...I've changed quite a bit once I actually starting putting it on paper!

MUS: I'm still hoping to get her through pre Alg. by the end of next year

ELTL level 5

History: SCM's Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation

Science: SCM's Learning About Birds with Thornton Burgess, Exploring Planet Earth, Chipmunks on the Doorstep, 365 Starry Nights, and various nature studies (focusing mainly on birds, trees, and the night sky)

Luther's Catechism--this is mostly review for her, but we study it as a family

Charlotte Mason style studies with family

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Latin: Memoria Press

piano lessons

• Like 1

Ds will do these as 8th grader

Bible

Listen to Bible, fighter verses app, biweekly youth group

Math

Jacobs Elementary Algebra last 1/3, then onto Foerster Algebra 1 to solidify algebra. May go on to Jurgenson Geometry or Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition

English

Rod and Staff 8 grammar

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop

Figuratively Speaking

Pen Time 6 Cursive

WWS 2 second half and some Attuneup online writing

Literature from Sonlight world history 2 and from MOH 4

History & geography

MOH 4 with supplemental reading

Evan Moore Daily Geography Practice 7

Science

Apologia Physical Science outsourced class

Latin

Latin Alive or Henle Latin (we have done GSWL followed by Lively Latin 1 and 2)

Which Latin is better? opinions?

Spanish

Have done GSWS and Duolingo. Don't know where to go next.

Chinese

Continued sabbatical???? Will we ever get back to it?

Logic

Art of Argument

Music

Classical guitar with dad

Computer

Programming with dad

Hobby pie baking

Boys scouting, swimming

• Like 1

Math -- DM 8B and prep for Grade 9 exam to be able to skip to grade 10 math

English -- WWS3, CLE Literature, finish R&S Grammer 7

History -- MOH 4

Science -- Apologia Physical Science

French -- L'art d'ecrire and Rosetta Stone

Bible -- Most Important Thing You Will Ever Study -- New Testament

Music -- Violin (lessons, ensemble, orchestra...)

It will be his last year homeschooling before heading off to high school -- I hope he is ready!

Julie

Julie,

We have a few overlaps. By the way, how are you using MOH 3? How are you planning to use MOH 4? Do you know what your oldest will do for history in high school?

This year we focused on MOH with lots of supplemental readers. Then we went on to MOH 3 with just me reading aloud the textbook. We are done with 40 lessons and will finish the second half of MOH 3 during summer. In the fall we will do MOH 4 more in depth with supplementle readers.

• Like 1

I am pulling 2 of my kids out of school next year to homeschool. I think I finally have most of it figured out. Here is what my 8th grader will be using: 

English:

Essentials in Writing 8

Fix It! Grammar Book 1

Apples and Pears Spelling B

English From the Roots Up

Need something for Literature

Reading for Bookshark 8

Math:

Not sure yet. I have no clue where he is at with math and he's taking his time finishing the placement tests.

History:

Bookshark 8 History with Reading

Geography:

Knowledge Quest Expedition Earth 

Science:

Elemental Science Earth and Astronomy

Extras:

He is going to attempt to start learning Japanese.

Typing Instructor

He wants to learn photography.

Art, using various things from the internet and a Usborne book I have.

• Like 1

Can't wait for summer break! Here's the plan so far for 8th grade in the fall:

finish Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra, start TT Algebra

Editor in Chief grammar CDrom

competitive speech writing

The Phonetic Zoo

North Star Geography

Apologia Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology

Notgrass Uncle Sam and You

Spanish II with local teacher

Modern history and literature

Bible with mom/bro

workout classes at local gym

worship band at church

touring theater group for a week each semester

• Like 1

here are my plans: Already making some changes

Apologia Bible

Math u See pre algebra - dd has already started this so she will start MUS algebra 1 when she is done with this

EIW 8 - Thinking about Winning with writing 8 to mix things up a bit

BJU grammar - I'm kinda over BJU grammar, but don't know what to do instead :(

MP Lit guides

SWO H

AIG science with siblings

SOTW 4 with siblings

Band (clarinet) with local private school

Piano lesson

Voice lesson

Basketball with local private school

Choir at church

Activities at our church's homeschool group I just started..yea me !! Lol

• Like 1

Here's what i have lined up tentatively:

1) math: Algebra 2 Wilson Hill.

2) science: physics with clover creek

3) writing: attuneup

4) history: continue with modern history and K12 American Odyssey.

5) geography with WTM Academy?

6) Spanish: either online or continue Breaking the Barrier

tae kwon do.

Are both ds doing BtB Spanish? Do you use the app version?

My younger ds doesn't want to do the "dead" language Latin anymore. He likes Spanish more. Older ds doesn't complain about doing both. I wonder if I can just let them part ways and do one each. Chinese is dropped. :-( It is the hardest language to teach and to learn, especially when they are not interested.

• Like 1

So far, our plan is...

Algebra I (Aops and Singapore) with the WTM Academy

Expository Writing II (also WTM)

Intro to Biology with Miller and Levine text (we want to do an intro Bio in 8th as our high school science sequence will be Fr: Conceptual Physics with Hewitt, Soph: Honors Chem with Tang?, Jr: AP Bio with Campbell, Sr: AP science of their choosing)

Some form of logic (maybe the Compass Classroom program?)

Possibly German I through OSU (although we may wait a year on the class and just do Transparent program with Deutsch Aktuell text) (off topic: why oh why did my boys decide the one language they want to learn is one I have NEVER wanted to learn?? I do have German blood, but really think the language is not so pretty:-)

History/Lit/Church History: ToG, year 4, logic stage

Analytical Grammar

WordBuild vocabulary

Bible: Positive Action Curriculum Life of Christ (we used their Wise Up study of Proverbs this year and it was phenomenal!)

He will also be taking Study Skills for the Logic Stage with the WTM Academy to help him focus a bit as we are ramping up for high school

Extras: tennis, Knights, piano, guitar, sailing, youth group, possibly speech (but our club requires a bunch of parental involvement, and I don't know if that will work for me next year. This stinks, because the kids LOVED it this year. I just don't think I have it in me to do another year:-(

Whew. Now I need a nap :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

Julie,

We have a few overlaps. By the way, how are you using MOH 3? How are you planning to use MOH 4? Do you know what your oldest will do for history in high school?

This year we focused on MOH with lots of supplemental readers. Then we went on to MOH 3 with just me reading aloud the textbook. We are done with 40 lessons and will finish the second half of MOH 3 during summer. In the fall we will do MOH 4 more in depth with supplementle readers.

Sorry -- I just saw this!

We mainly read the text for MOH3 and did a narration card for each lesson (maybe 5-8 sentences).  We did some of the mapping, most quizzes/tests, and an extra activity about once a week.  I plan to do the same for MOH4 although I hope to have him use the topics for some of his writing for WWS 3.  

He will be attending a Christian high school which means he will do Geography in gr. 9, Canadian History in Grade 10, and then I think either World History or US History or Physical Geography after that.

We have completed SOTW already so I feel like he has a very good knowledge base in history.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

That it so true about Chinese, JadeOrchidSong. I am about to just drop my kids off in China and have them survive! We had a great tutor and they were starting to read and write sentences but then tutor ended up flaking because she said her college courses were too hard for her. We had another tutor before her and she was horrible and just had the kids watch Garfield movies in Chinese. The other two were just as bad. I don;t think they learned anything from them. I am finding out that the best teachers for Chinese are people who learned Chinese. They understand the process of what it takes for a Westerner to learn the language and how we think, process and what motivates us etc. 

Anyways I am digressing....back to 8th grade plans....

I am revamping everything after everything I have read.

So 8th grade plans

Grammar- Analytical Grammar

Vocabulary-Vocabulary Workshop

Writing-Teaching the Classics/Windows to the World combined syllabus with the Creative Writer ( over the summer )

Reading/Literature-Finishing up the Moving Beyond the Page curriculum (over the summer), Intro to Literature Excellence in Literature. 

Handwriting-Continued with Character Handwriting Without Tears

Typing-Typing.com

Math-MIF Course 3, Forester Word problems, AOPS prealgebra and Paper Patty Geometry  (over the summer)

History-Story of the World or A living History of the World or something else...maybe Big History Project because it is free.

Science- Finishing up Exploration Education (over the summer), Derek Owens physical science

Logic-Art of Argument 

Geography-Mapping the World by Art (summer)

Stem-Something from Youth Digital. 

piano for one, certificate Merit program

guitar for other

Garage Band Academy for all the kids-Family band with dad as drummer and other sister as vocalist. Partridge family....hahaha

For the summer: 

considering Minecraft Homeschool

Sewing

Cooking

Summer reading program for speed reading for one of my daughters

ASL immersion camp and teen camp

Maybe church camp, vacation bible camp 

• Like 1