Menu

Today I'm that mom

PIE!

I order Girl Scout cookies to support my co-workers kids, and then keep all the boxes at work for myself. I am not ashamed of this in the least.

Hahahahaha you don't even bring them home? Brilliant.

Little bit just caught me and knows the latest hidey hole for the chocolate chips. Time to find a new spot. Y'all keep the ideas flowing.

Be careful, mommas! I know somebody who used to search out her momma's stashes. She told me that she would sneak little Snickers bars from the nightstand drawer and from the tall mixing bowl up on the second shelf in the kitchen cabinet. Just sayin'. . . 

Now that she is the mom, I think she just keeps her stashes in plain sight now, with threats of death to anyone who might snitch from them. It helps when they are 90% chocolate that nobody else likes. Her kids are pretty sure she is a hypocrite.

Yeah, I knew a mom once who kept bags of snack-size snickers bars in the back of her filing cabinet. But her brilliant, perceptive, equally chocolate-loving daughters easily discovered this hiding place. And one of them grew up to home school her children I believe.

Well.. I hit the Jack pot the other day. I hid a bag of homemade chocolate dipped biscotti from Christmas in the cupboard over the drier behind the big bag of kitchen sponges from Costco. And I found it yesterday. Oh, heavenly days! I ate it when the kids were at Awana. A lot of things happen when the kids are at Awana.

Well.. I hit the Jack pot the other day. I hid a bag of homemade chocolate dipped biscotti from Christmas in the cupboard over the drier behind the big bag of kitchen sponges from Costco. And I found it yesterday. Oh, heavenly days! I ate it when the kids were at Awana. A lot of things happen when the kids are at Awana.

*Gasp!* you actually did that? We are just telling of people we know who do those things, but you actually do those things. Interesting.

Adding you to our list...

;)

*Gasp!* you actually did that? We are just telling of people we know who do these things, but you actually do those things. Interesting.

Adding you to our list...

;)

Oh.... did I say "I" did that? No, that wasn't me.  I meant to say, my neighbor was telling me that she did that. I would never do that.  I snack on celery sticks and carrots while the kids are at Awanas and then I ride my exercise bike for 20 miles while reading "The Iliad" in the original Greek.

Today I'm the mom who tells her kids that if they want a treat they can munch on frozen grapes while I'm sneaking off to my room with an ice cream bar. It makes me wonder how often my mom secretly did unhealthy things she told us not to do.

When I was 18 my mom admitted to us that she had Coca-Cola every single day and moreover, ate fast food / junk food for lunch at work, though she fed us whole wheat tortillas and this was in the eighties when nobody but the health food store sold whole wheat tortillas and they were nasty.

That's okay. At the time, I spent my lunch money at the vending machine at the mechanic's shop just a block from the school.

A lot of things happen when the kids are at Awana.

This made me snicker. I BET they do. That's how church people make more church people.

Today I'm the mom who tells her kids that if they want a treat they can munch on frozen grapes while I'm sneaking off to my room with an ice cream bar. It makes me wonder how often my mom secretly did unhealthy things she told us not to do.

Grapes are food for children or adults, but wine is for adults. If we don't feel bad about not giving our children adult beverages, why feel guilty or hypocritical about not sharing other adult treats?The problem, as I see it, is that you sneak children's treats.  (Unless, you're speaking of an ice cream bar like Dove or Haagen Dazs, which are clearly adult treats because they're expensive.) 

Avoid sneaking foods that feature cartoon characters on the box, add florescent food dyes, or advertise with childish jingles.  Beyond that, we can use our discretion with adult treats.

DH may have just bought home leftover chocolate cake from work and *possibly*mentioned something about sharing it. I can't remember really because I was too busy shoving it behind the milk so the kids won't see and then there will be less for me.

Another example of an adult treat.  He brought it home from work, so allowing children to eat that cake might be prohibited under child labor laws.

I know someone who kept a half-eaten bag of miniature chocolate bars in her closet, and would go in there and hide and eat them while her children were doing their schoolwork.

She must not be very smart, though, because she missed a wrapper when she was destroying the evidence, and was eventually found out when she sent a child into the same closet to get something for school.

When I was 26 my 11 year old stepdaughter moved in with us and after a month or so I started calling my mom to say I understand.  One of them was "I understand why you hid peanut m and ms under your bed"  She was so happy! LOL.

I know some parents who charge their kids 90% tax daily on all acquired candy for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, Birthdays...

All tax is to be paid immediately upon acquisition in the form of candy and / or chocolate.

These parents have been seen at campgrounds on Halloween weekend during the month of September, just so that they can charge aforementioned Halloween tax multiple times!

I have this friend who keeps her stash of Cadbury Mini Eggs in her filing cabinet with all the school work in it.  Her kids had no idea they were there until the baby of the family asked his oldest sister to get him some Easter eggs out of the drawer, because "dat's where Mama keeps it!"  She replied that she didn't know how to open the drawer.  No problem.  The baby walked over, pushed the sliding button and opened the drawer.  Now I have to  my friend has to find another, better place to hide them.  And remember that the baby is always watching.  :sneaky2:   

Hmm...I know a homeschool mom who tells her kids she's doing laundry, then hides in the laundry room and eats the last drumstick. It's altruistic, really--there is no way to evenly split a pre-made ice cream cone. I am saving them the feelings of persecution that result from getting the cone part instead of the ice cream part. :)

Grapes are food for children or adults, but wine is for adults. If we don't feel bad about not giving our children adult beverages, why feel guilty or hypocritical about not sharing other adult treats?The problem, as I see it, is that you sneak children's treats.  (Unless, you're speaking of an ice cream bar like Dove or Haagen Dazs, which are clearly adult treats because they're expensive.) 

Avoid sneaking foods that feature cartoon characters on the box, add florescent food dyes, or advertise with childish jingles.  Beyond that, we can use our discretion with adult treats.

They were indeed grown-up ice cream bars. I rarely buy junk for the kids. We are a healthy family after all. ;)

Hmm...I know a homeschool mom who tells her kids she's doing laundry, then hides in the laundry room and eats the last drumstick. It's altruistic, really--there is no way to evenly split a pre-made ice cream cone. I am saving them the feelings of persecution that result from getting the cone part instead of the ice cream part. :)

:lol: This reminds of a scene in a book by Jim Gaffigan about parenting. He talks about how it has taken him a long time to learn how not to be selfish and how to better handle parenting situations. For example, he had four kids, but when he looked in the freezer for dessert he saw there were only three Eskimo pies, and his first thought was, "Well, looks like I'm eating three Eskimo pies!" 

Good parents protect their children from potential inequity like that. Yep. It's true.

I made my kid an omelet for breakfast while stuffing my face with the best gluten free donuts I have found in 5 years! I justify it as I have not eaten donuts in 5 years if I wanna eat 5 boxes in a day that's on my thighs! LOL

What kind of donuts?

I know a mom who has Jelly beans located near the washing machine. It keeps her from getting low blood sugar while doing laundry. I wouldn't want my friend to pass out on the concrete basement floor!

This might be the best thread I've ever read here.

I know a mom who buys one package of the crunchy vegan chocolate chip cookies for the kids to share, and one of the single $2 a piece chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies for herself.  She distracts the kids with the crunchy ones while she hides the soft one behind the cream of wheat to eat after everyone is asleep.

I know a mom that has a policy that her kids eat as much of their halloween candy as they want, but must eat it only on halloween night. The epic binge of candy prevents her kids from eating a ton of candy over time and having cavities. This mom even makes a big show of throwing it in the trash. Her kids don't know that after they go to bed, she sorts through the trash can and hides the good stuff in an old teapot and snacks on it over the next week.

I know a mom that has a policy that her kids eat as much of their halloween candy as they want, but must eat it only on halloween night. The epic binge of candy prevents her kids from eating a ton of candy over time and having cavities. This mom even makes a big show of throwing it in the trash. Her kids don't know that after they go to bed, she sorts through the trash can and hides the good stuff in an old teapot and snacks on it over the next week.

:smilielol5:

OK, so, today I know a mom who told the kids, who are having a small sleepover, that they could have berries and fresh, homemade (low sugar) whipped cream for their dessert. They were disappointed, because they usually get Oreos and ice cream, but the sleepover mom and the other mom are trying to implement some changes, so they held their ground. Then that mom went out to get some dinner supplies and cream for whipping. And now she has a container of coffee chip gelato hiding behind the frozen peas to enjoy with her DH when he gets home. 

:w00t:

I figure there isn't any hope for me.  I'm already damaged and destroyed.  May as well put my hope in the next generation.  (Then I go and hide with the chocolate!)  :)

HA! Honestly this explains so much about so many people's parenting, LOL!

Well, and then there are some moms, I just can't even believe people do this.... they go out to the garage to say... Get something out of the freezer for dinner, or throw something in the recycling, or pet the cat, or make sure the door to the van is closed so the cat doesn't sleep in there, or check to make sure the registration isn't expired on the minivan, and they....

they sneak a chocolate chip peanut butter cookie out of the freezer every time they go out there. It's really just appalling.

I know a mom who noticed that the ice cream maker insert in the back of the freezer has room for a pint container of ice cream WHICH WOULD THEN BE INVISIBLE TO THOSE LOOKING INTO THE FREEZER.  Yes, she noticed, the ice cream maker insert would still appear to be empty EVEN IF there was a pint container of Ben and Jerry's double cookie ice cream in it.  And those who sought ice cream would inevitably be distracted by the large one gallon container of generic vanilla right in front of said ice cream maker insert.  Not that this was on purpose or anything like that.  Just a set of lovely coincidences.