Menu

Can someone please come over and teach my five year old to write?

I know he's young, I know he's a boy, I know all my dc had fine motor skill delays, but I would really love to hear some encouragement from those who have gone through this. My older two went to school for pk-4th and 2nd respectively so I really didn't have to deal with it. He's a bright kid so I've been letting him use the computer to type out answers for math and spelling, that's probably not that right thing to do, right? :o He does a sheet of copy work, one sentence or phrase of less than 10 words, and a few letter formation practice sheets a week, and it's torture. I guess I need to just keep on truckin' huh? Or I could send him to school for the rest of the year and then bring him home :rolleyes: Just kidding, kind of. I'm rambling.

help.gif

I know he's young, I know he's a boy, I know all my dc had fine motor skill delays, but I would really love to hear some encouragement from those who have gone through this.

Yes he is young; but look at ALL he is doing!!

He does a sheet of copy work, one sentence or phrase of less than 10 words, and a few letter formation practice sheets a week, and it's torture.

Sheets? At 5yo my boys would do maybe 2 sheets of 5 words/week. All math was ORAL,

spelling, didn't do it. We did buddy reading instead.

I guess I need to just keep on truckin' huh? Or I could send him to school for the rest of the year and then bring him home

No, please don't send him off to school cause it sounds like things are working just mom needs to relax just a little :). He's bright, have him read to you and ask him to tell you the story back--narration. If he isn't reading yet, (and 5 is young to be reading), have him narrate the story back to you after you read it. Narration is a writing skill! Really.

And to help those fine motor skills have him practice writing letters in sand, or rice. Have him copy words onto a white board using a HUGE marker, have him build with legos, little legos, have him cut and paste, have him string beads,...

Have fun too. Five is so fun I would love to be back there. My 6th grader this year is starting to write big time, finally, without complaint that his hand hurts. But he can write; we did copywork, narration and around 3rd grade started dictation work. We did the vast majority of his school work in those early years orally, whenever possible. It works,....really!

Five is LITTLE. And that is a lot of handwriting. When my boys were this age, they did one penmanship sheet per day, and I gave them lots of crayons and told them to draw at various times during the day. And they didn't do much of that, frankly. They were too busy doing Legos.

Which are also good for fine motor skills.

If I were you, I'd halve the amount of work he's doing and give it two years before I panicked. :)

a few posts back you were telling us how imaginative he is. Right?

I would go with that. The rest will follow. He sounds just like my dss both 9 and 5, both hate to write but their imaginative play is astounding!

I would feed this play with stories of ancient history (SOTW) and other wonderful topics. He will eventually learn to write even if it is to draw his own maps or write his own historical documents.

Hang in there!

Adrianne :)

O.K. everyone thank you. I was committing homeschool no-nos numbers 4 and 8:

Don't panic, drop by drop the bucket gets full.

Don't compare your dc weaknesses with the strengths of your homeschooling friend's children.

Karen :o

P.S. Do you think I should stop the typing? He likes that though, but will it interfere with his writing down the pike?

My kids liked their typing program when they were little. It wasn't Mavis Beacon back then -- some Disney character.

I let them do it because they liked it and I thought it would help their typing skills down the road and because I thought it would help improve their fine motor skills.

I have 4 kids. All but one of DC has beautiful handwriting. The remaining DS has great typing skills and since he is nearly 14 yo, will probably always have chicken scratch handwriting. He's also the one child who had fine motor skills difficulties.

I don't think using a typing program has any drawbacks for little kids.

RC

IF he likes typing than don't drop it. In today's world keyboarding skills are more important than writing.

And IMNSHO there is no reason for a five year old to be writing *anything*, except maybe his name. Work on those fine motor skills by coloring, cutting and pasting etc. There is also a curriculum, Ready Writer, that would help with this. It is basically pre-penmanship skills and consists of worksheets where the child traces lines, and it looks like fun.

Susan in TX

mom of 8 (going on 9), homeschooling 5,

one in college (University of Dallas),

2 in public high school.

O.K. everyone thank you. I was committing homeschool no-nos numbers 4 and 8:

Don't panic, drop by drop the bucket gets full.

Don't compare your dc weaknesses with the strengths of your homeschooling friend's children.

Karen :o

P.S. Do you think I should stop the typing? He likes that though, but will it interfere with his writing down the pike?

Thanks for the laugh!. BTW, what are the no-nos numbers 1-3, and 5-7, and 9-??? cause I'm sure I've committed those many

:D

I too would let him continue with the typing. If he likes it, and he's having fun, why not?

I will share my story of my ds who is now nearly eight. He is my youngest and my first with fine motor delays. I knew he had them which is why I began hsing instead of sending him off to K. That year I was flying by the seat of my pants. I hadn't found the forums or even the WTM book. About midway through the year I was at my wit's end. We had tried everything including HWT that truly can produce tears! I went to a homeschool store after a day of my mother calling asking why he didn't write and how he was behind and i was ruining him. The wonderful woman there asked to help and in near tears I said I need to something that would make him write. In her wisdom she asked me why.Of course then I did cry. She took me to where she kept some of her children's work. I was horrified because her children always seemed ahead of the curve when I went in there. She showed me one of her son's kindergarten work. What little writing in it was his was just like my son's. She showed me the progressing years to when he was about ten. The progress was slow but steady. As of last time I was there his writing is still not great but he can and it can be read. Then she asked what we were doing in math and phonics and history. I said not much since he couldn't read well and he couldn't do math if he couldn't write the numbers. Again she asked me why and called my little boy over to us. She sat down with him and asked if he liked math. He said no it is boring so she pulled out a book and started doing it orally with him. It had never crossed my mind that it wasn't a make or break skill on whether he would ever learn anything.

Fast forward to this week. If you had asked me a couple of months ago where we were with the writing I would have said the progress was barely perceptible but the now we have made some real progress. He is in testing for vision therapy and the first visit two weeks ago he had to write the alphabet both upper and lower case. It took him forty five minutes and it looked like chicken scratch. he was frustrated and I was upset because I hadn't talked to the doctor about his fine motor issues because I hadn't thought of them having him write. Well on Tuesday he had the second part of his testing and when he was finished he offered to write again. The doctor brought it out to show me. He said he had done it quite quickly and it looked good. I was amazed. We have a copy of it on the fridge. He still hates the writing but we have started spelling that we do for our writing. If it isn't a day for writing spelling words he will practice his name or a small phrase.

I guesss what I am trying to say (in the longest way possible) is sometimes it just takes a long time and we because we are in teh thick of it don't see how far we have come.

Good luck,

Melissa

I would encourage all sorts of drawing and painting with various materials. It is a fun way to practice writing skills without actually putting the child off writing. Wait to practice writing until you are very sure your child is physically ready otherwise he may pick up bad letter formation habits and a pet hate of writing.

Laura in China once mentioned she used upper torso physical exercise for her son to overcome writing difficulties. I think this could help all children. I remember, and I am sure most people remember, struggling to write much as a child and hands hurting. Of course I can write pages and pages in letters to friends as an adult and my children gaze in wonder.

I think it is merely a normal developmental issue. You can't make teeth come in early and you can't make little hands work like an adult's. You can help things along with exercise and hand-eye coordination practice. Fun drawing and painting will ensure he isn't doing too much but should motivate him to fulfil his current capabilities.

I love your blog by the way. It is such an inspiration and treasure trove of ideas!

Don't worry! My ds is behind in his fine motor skills because he was born with low muscle tone. He wasn't even READY to school at 5, but was at 5 1/2. He had a hard time with writing. He turned six in the late spring, had the summer off, and in the fall had a much easier time writing. He still isn't great at it at 7, but he's improving.

Even though educational studies may disagree, most piano teachers I worked with when I taught for the Ottawa School Board said that boys usually take longer to develop hand coordination than girls, but they do catch up.