Menu

Explode the code questions

MarigoldHS

I have a 6 year old first grader.  We are finishing up LOE foundations Level C and we are both very tired of it.  It seems I am always fumbling around to gather all of the cards etc.  We both want to change things up and I have been very interested in Explode the Code because of its simplicity.  She is also working through Sonlight Grade 1 readers and this is going very well.  So my questions are:

1) is it a mistake to change phonics curriculum midstream?  in other words, i assume the scope and sequence of these two programs differ slightly and I'm not sure if I would be over-complicating things by jumping ship into a new program.

2) is there a placement test anywhere to help you know what book to get?

2) is this a comprehensive phonics program or just a supplement?

3) is it important to get the Teacher's Manual?

Thanks so much

While I believe strongly children need phonics, I think the experience of reading is typically pretty holistic for kids, so jumping around in phonics programs isn't usually an issue. Think how many people change phonics programs. It's nearly everyone who doesn't have a kid who just suddenly starts reading in my experience. So I wouldn't necessarily worry about that.

On the other hand, I feel like you don't always want to mess with what works. LOE is a great program. ETC is okay, but it's very pared down by comparison. We had a very mixed experience with it. First of all, we loathed the online program, but sort of liked the workbooks. However, for my ds who was a somewhat struggling reader, I feel in retrospect that it was a waste of time. For my ds who fell into reading much more naturally, I do think it helped solidify his sense of phonics and gave him a boost when it came to understanding spelling. On the other hand, now that we're a few years on, I sort of think that time might have been better spent in other ways.

ETC can be a complete program if you're doing reading practice with readers elsewhere. I don't think you need the TM, but it is important to spell out the rules, which are only stated simply once at the top of a new unit. Most of the focus is on practice. There is a placement test, I think, but it costs money. I can't imagine using it. It's pretty clear what's covered in each book. Just get the one that seems right. Note at the 1/2 books are extra practice - you can use them or not. Also note that the skills in book 4 are extra tricky compared to the before and after - a lot about open and closed syllables. I think LOE and AAS/AAR deal with these so much better. But a lot of people do 3, 5, then 4.

I have a 6 year old first grader.  We are finishing up LOE foundations Level C and we are both very tired of it.  It seems I am always fumbling around to gather all of the cards etc.  We both want to change things up and I have been very interested in Explode the Code because of its simplicity.  She is also working through Sonlight Grade 1 readers and this is going very well.  So my questions are:

1) is it a mistake to change phonics curriculum midstream?  in other words, i assume the scope and sequence of these two programs differ slightly and I'm not sure if I would be over-complicating things by jumping ship into a new program.

2) is there a placement test anywhere to help you know what book to get?

2) is this a comprehensive phonics program or just a supplement?

3) is it important to get the Teacher's Manual?

Thanks so much

You might not need ETC at all.

LOE isn't just phonics, though, right? Spelling? Penmanship? It's possible that she has enough *phonics* knowledge not to need anything more; you can focus on her spelling and writing and whatnot.

We have only used it as a supplement.  I don't think I would be comfortable with it as a complete program unless my child was already reading well and I just wanted some extra practice with phonics rules.  The workbooks are fun and both of my kids enjoyed doing them as an "extra."  I have never bought or used the teacher's manuals, so I don't know if they add much.  One possible benefit of having them is that they could help you decipher some of the more confusing pictures.  Some of the pictures were just too ambiguous for us to figure out what word they wanted!

If you are doing Sonlight with the readers, then yes, I think ETC would fit in nicely. I also don't use it as a program to teach kids to read, but once they are reading it is great for practice of phonics rules and even spelling and vocabulary and penmanship. I am not aware of a placement test, but if you look at the table of contents for each book, you should be able to figure out approximately where your child should be placed. Book 1 is short vowels, 3-letter words like cat, sat, bus, etc. Book 2 is much of the same only with consonant blends. For first grade you should be able to start somewhere around Book 3, but again, check the table of contents to make sure. I've used this series with 4 kids now and I've never used the TM.

This is so helpful.  Thank you very much!

Right now, I wondering if it would work to go from Foundations C into a spelling program like Spelling Workout and then maybe add in some explode the code for review/reinforcement.  I intend to follow WTM for language arts as much as possible next year.  Right now she does A Beka penmanship, FLL, WWE, and Sonlight Readers along with Foundations.  So i'm thinking that when foundations C is over, I'll just get a spelling program and maybe do Explode the code.  Would this plan work well or would I be missing something?

Thank you so much!