Menu

Who can help me carry a five year old around :)

PhotoGal

Hi all,

We are very exciting to be adopting again from China! We hope to travel around August or September.

Last time, we adopted a two year old and I carried her pretty much 24/7 in China. My back was KILLING me. And she was very small for her age. I normally have a small amount of back pain in my mid to upper back all the time (since my teens - I think mild scoliosis and bad posture caused it). The little guy we are adopting will be just turning 5 and will probably be the size of an American 4 year old. I don't know if he will need that much carrying, but I would like to carry him some. He has a special need that means he will be in a wheelchair, so I imagine I will be carrying him a lot and helping lift him for quite awhile.

I would like to build strength and reduce upper/middle back pain. Who do I go to for help in this area?  Do I go to an orthopedist? physical therapist? personal trainer? chiropractor? someone else?

Any advice/experience would be great! I want to be well prepared to care for our little guy. :)

Congrats!!!!

I would start with a physical therapist to help you deal with an medical issues and rebuilding your core while dealing with an existing problem.  Once you get around any chronic problems, then a personal trainer and good workout program may be all you need to stay strong and balanced.

I wouldn't expect to be carrying him much while you are there.  If you have to push the chair anyways, it will likely be just easier to have him in the chair. 

Congrats! I think you've already gotten good advice for strengthening your back. You may already know this, but, if you want to have the option to carry him and have your arms free (plus make it easier on your back) what you really need is a good soft structured carrier. Most have a weight limit around 45 pounds, so a 5 year old the size of an average 4 year old should fit just fine. I still carry my 4 year old in mine on occasion when we have to walk long distances and she gets tired. One popular and widely available brand that's good for bigger kids is the Boba.

Are you thinking of holding him so much for bonding? If so, I recommend rocking him. I held my 2yr old and rocked him almost every day for the first year. That was the only way he would take a nap and I knew it was good for bonding.

I hope you can get some solid help with strengthening your back! And congratulations!

We adopted a child who was 4. He didn't want to be carried a lot--he was just too curious about looking around and exploring this huge wide world that had been mostly unseen! He was also enjoying his independence, and didn't want to be regressed in public, I think. However, quite a few years later, he still sometimes mentions a rocking chair we had at the time, and drinking warm, sweetened milk (I know, terrible for the teeth--but great for bonding ;) ) while I sang to him. At the time, I didn't realize it was making such a deep impression, but it obviously made him feel safe and loved.

Kinderpack carrier makes a larger preschool age carrier. This could be helpful if you'd like to carry on your back. There are forums and may be able to discuss your personal concerns to see if it would be a good fit with the pain you have I a addition to the suggestions above.

We adopted a child who was 4. He didn't want to be carried a lot--he was just too curious about looking around and exploring this huge wide world that had been mostly unseen! He was also enjoying his independence, and didn't want to be regressed in public, I think. However, quite a few years later, he still sometimes mentions a rocking chair we had at the time, and drinking warm, sweetened milk (I know, terrible for the teeth--but great for bonding ;) ) while I sang to him. At the time, I didn't realize it was making such a deep impression, but it obviously made him feel safe and loved.

😊 We did the milk and singing in the rocking chair as well. And the teeth issue occurred to me, but I figured it was worth the risk. And as far as the singing, sometimes he told me to stop!! Ha! I'm not the best singer and he wasn't the first of my children to tell me to be quiet. ðŸ˜

Being that he's in a wheelchair, you probably won't *need* to carry him around much because you can just push the chair. I'd also caution that depending on the need, a lot of children in wheelchairs feel much heavier than mobile children of the same weight. It's more like "dead weight" because they can't support their bodies the same. Sort of like how sleeping children feel heavier, because their body isn't sharing the workload with you.

Congratulations!

For the back issues, I'd think a physical therapist - but I'd personally talk to your primary first, since there could be other issues at play.

I love what a PP said about bonding in a rocking chair. I'm sure you have all of that planned for when you don't have to do so much walking.

So happy for you - enjoy every moment, and I hope it's pain free!

Thank you so much for the congrats and well wishes! We are very excited, and trying to live through the long wait. At least I can get stronger in the meantime!

It sounds like the physical therapist is the way to go. I may have to go through the primary care, anyway - not sure with my insurance. It should be fine, though.

The rocking chair is a great idea! Our little one still loves to be carried, but not 24/7 like in China (she actually slept on top of me each night, I really mean 24/7!). She loves the swing, so she would probably love a rocking chair as well.

I have been trying to get a kinderpack preschool, but they are very very difficult to buy right now. The Boba is a great idea! We have a Tula, but I don't know if it would be big enough. It was a life-saver in China last time. Before I started using it, my arms were so weak from carrying her that I needed two hands to lift a water bottle to my mouth! It was an experience for sure. Hopefully this time dh can take turns with me. Our dd was terrified of him when we were in China (now she is a total daddy's girl - go figure!). :)

Congratulations! How accessible is China? We adopted from Ukraine and there was almost zero accessibility. We had a "good" apartment on a third floor in a building with an elevator...that you needed to walk up an entire flight of stairs to get to. That was not so easy with a 30 pounder and 85 pounder who both needed to be carried! There were zero ramps. Every building had stairs and some were very steep and narrow. Accessibility was such a relief when we finally got home.

I do have occasional lower back pain, but it is better when I weigh less. The constant lifting and transferring for my kids got me back in shape very quickly. I would also look at form for lifting him, especially since you will be doing so much of it. I "cheat" on proper transferring sometimes since one of my kids can help more and the other was very small for his age when we brought him home, but I can feel the difference when I do.