Menu

Since we keep talking about TeA

Moxie

In some times and places such behavior was considered deviant and punishable by law.

I thought that the Catholic Church was still against alternate methods of brewing tea. Or maybe it was that they were allowed, as long as the spouses continued on to regular tea. I know the NFP book I read didn't allow alternate tea brewing during times of abstaining.

This thread is fascinating. And it made me think of the current story line on Downton Abbey. I had no idea that diaphragms were available in pre-WWII England. 

FWIW, my mother wanted to have a diaphragm for when she got married.  She went to the doctor and was told that she couldn't have one until she was married.  So not for the wedding night.  My brother resulted (born 1956).  I'm sure that the same rules didn't obtain for the upper classes.

I thought that the Catholic Church was still against alternate methods of brewing tea. Or maybe it was that they were allowed, as long as the spouses continued on to regular tea. I know the NFP book I read didn't allow alternate tea brewing during times of abstaining.

Do you prefer this?  Such activities are, or were, considered deviant and therefore anathema to members of some cultures and religions.   

Yes, the CC is opposed to any kind of tea drinking in which the bag misses the pot. But, the CC is also opposed to pre-martial tea drinking. So it isn't like the people having casual tea were super concerned about the rules of the Church, kwim?

Yes, the CC is opposed to any kind of tea drinking in which the bag misses the pot. But, the CC is also opposed to pre-martial tea drinking. So it isn't like the people having casual tea were super concerned about the rules of the Church, kwim?

From what I've read and heard from a orthodox (as in by the book-not liberal) priest in our area what is forbidden is the completion of the act in anyway except the usual manner but the other acts are permissible assuming there is not completion. 

This thread is amazing.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   

My great grandfather was one of 26 children.  The first wife (his mother), died in childbirth with number 14, and the second wife died in childbirth with number 12.  Can you imagine?  Apparently they had no trouble having frequent tea, and didn't not use any of the alternative ways to brew.

I have the same thought as the OP frequently, and once I voiced it aloud while watching Carrington, and then BAM! She was pregnant in the next scene.

Regarding the Catholic Church and acceptability of forms of tea-drinking: I don't think there's anything written against boiling the woman's pot repeatedly and by whatever (joint, not solo) means, so long as when the leaves escape the bag, it happens in the pot.

I have no idea about pregnancy, but Cillian Murphy might be worth rooting for the "bad" guys. I can't wait for season three.

Please remember there are Aussies on this board.

Over here, rooting is vernacular for TeA drinking of a generally casual nature.

Now reread the sentence above with this knowledge.

:lol:

Yes. Please don't ever say "I'm rooting for you" to an Aussie. There are some things a person prefer to do for themselves.  :scared:

Someone said that to me about a year ago and I'm still not over it. :svengo:

Before we moved to Australia we were cautioned about 'rooting' and wearing 'fanny packs'. 

As an American, I always found it funny when Australians said, "I have relations in (insert name of city/state/country) here."  Where I come from, we have relatives and 'relations' is TeA.

This thread is amazing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My great grandfather was one of 26 children. The first wife (his mother), died in childbirth with number 14, and the second wife died in childbirth with number 12. Can you imagine? Apparently they had no trouble having frequent tea, and didn't not use any of the alternative ways to brew.

I can't imagine!

Australians never say "relations." That's the Brits! We're lazy and say "rellies."  :laugh:

Maybe it's a Canberra thing. But, we had a few friends who would say, "We have relations in America." and I would always say, "I don't want to hear the details."  :crying:

But, I agree, we heard 'rellies' often, as well. 

:lol:  :lol:  :w00t:  :o

although if Mr. Murphy were single too... :blush: