Menu

Well Trained Mind Academy classes for next year are posted

Thanks!  My middle son has done 3 high school classes this year and we're planning on continuing next year.  I've been pleased with how things have gone this year.  It looks like there are some good new classes for next year.

Can you please comment on which classes and what your experience has been? 

My middle girls took middle school classes and will be continuing with those, but I haven't seen many reviews of the high school courses.

• Like 2

My middle girls took middle school classes and will be continuing with those, but I haven't seen many reviews of the high school courses.

He's taking ancient literature, chemistry (not the lab), and rhetoric on the delayed option (so he doesn't have anything to say about the live classes). My son loves the ancient literature class and hopes to take another literature class next year from the same teacher if he can. Rhetoric has been challenging at times but he's learned a lot. I'm definitely planning on his taking Rhetoric II next year and possibly one of the other new writing classes. I would have preferred the lab chemistry, and it looks like that's the only option next year, but it just wasn't practical for us this year. I think he'll do the lab biology next year if it looks like we're going to be able to stay in the US for the entire school year.

He's able to stay on top of the all the classes and assignments on his own. We've really appreciated the flexibility of the delayed classes and the teachers have been helpful when Mexican holidays don't match US holidays. I was concerned that schedule wouldn't be flexible enough for us, but it has worked out well.

I really am very pleased with how this has turned out.

My high school son is in the Rhetoric 1 class (live, not delayed lecture) and it has done WONDERS for his writing!  I am very impressed with the teacher. She goes out of her way to help the students get the best grade they can.  We are definitely in for next year, too.  I also have my middle school daughter in a delayed lecture writing class.  I think if you can do it live, it works better.  We had to do the delayed lecture because of a time issue, but I think something is lost if you are not under pressure to perform in class.  We will be doing as many as we can live next year and only doing delayed lecture for time conflicts.

Oh, the costs is different based on several factors.  I think if you sign up early is it cheaper (you have to commit to the class and pay, too). Also, some classes are only one semester, which makes them cheaper, too.

Hot Lava Mama

New student registration starts next week:

http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/?mc_cid=e6b84e3c0a&mc_eid=bf347e6d51

I've been very happy with T's WWS 1 class. They've opened up some new high school courses too.

Can you tell me a bit more about Expository Writing 1 (WWS 1)? Does it cover everything to be a complete language arts class, or is it necessary to add a literature course (either at home or outsourced) to complete "English" coverage? I watched part of the sample class on the site and there was a slide referencing a Vonnegut work (not sure which); do the students read whole books as a part of the course, or are they working with excerpts or short stories only? I'm just trying to get a feel for what the class is exactly. I'm very tempted...

Wow. They even have an AOPS/Singapore 6 pre-algebra combo course! Awesome!

I thought I was all set on teaching MM 7 at home for pre-algebra, then I read this course description last night. Boom! Plans destroyed.

I wonder if anyone can give a review of the math teacher, Heather Quintero. Terrific, inspiring, wonderful? Or just pleasant and effective? I certainly liked what I read in her bio.

Also, I wonder whether there is a plan in the future to teach anything other than Saxon math for Algebra 1 and higher. I know we will not follow the WTMA sequence, if not.

These questions are probably best answered by WTMA folks. I'm just thinking aloud here.

ETA: Okay, I posed my questions to the WTMA. Here was the response:

"AoPS: Mrs Quintero has taught both Saxon and AoPS for several years and is very excited about the AoPS. It worked much better for her own kids, and she's so enthusiastic to share with others. We hope to grow the program one class at a time to provide students with the next step in the program each year."

• Like 1

Can you tell me a bit more about Expository Writing 1 (WWS 1)? Does it cover everything to be a complete language arts class, or is it necessary to add a literature course (either at home or outsourced) to complete "English" coverage? I watched part of the sample class on the site and there was a slide referencing a Vonnegut work (not sure which); do the students read whole books as a part of the course, or are they working with excerpts or short stories only? I'm just trying to get a feel for what the class is exactly. I'm very tempted...

WWS1 is just a writing class. T is also doing English IV at Landry Academy. That class covers grammar, vocabulary, literature and writing, but is not focused exclusively on writing. The Expository Writing class does focus exclusively on writing skills. Whether or not your student needs a separate writing class depends on their current skills. T needed it, but ymmv.

• Like 2

WWS1 is just a writing class. T is also doing English IV at Landry Academy. That class covers grammar, vocabulary, literature and writing, but is not focused exclusively on writing. The Expository Writing class does focus exclusively on writing skills. Whether or not your student needs a separate writing class depends on their current skills. T needed it, but ymmv.

Ditto.  My DD's are taking English II this year with WWS1.  They will take English III next year with WWS2, and the plan is then to wrap up middle school with English IV and WWS3.  We also do some Lit with TOG so it works well for us.

• Like 1

I think the WTMA classes started out at $400 for early birds last year. The regular price was $500 for a year-long course. I can't remember if there was a discount for multiple classes or a sibling discount.

Thank you! I will try to get in at the early bird time because there are several classes listed I would like to sign my kids up for next year!

DD is taking Medieval History and Medieval Lit.  She really enjoys her history teacher, Mr. Caro.  He's a lively talker and makes the class very interesting.  BUT he is one tough teacher when it comes to tests.  Not that I mind since I think it is making DD improve on her essay writing skills on tests.  

As for the lit, I was expecting more long papers to be assigned.  The verdict is still out on this one.

He's taking ancient literature, chemistry (not the lab), and rhetoric on the delayed option (so he doesn't have anything to say about the live classes). My son loves the ancient literature class and hopes to take another literature class next year from the same teacher if he can.

Can you tell me more about the ancient lit class? Teacher name? Secular class? Reading amount, number of papers, lengths of papers? Do the students know in advance when a paper will be due? (Dd's current English teacher gives them 2-3 weeks notice, depending on the length, which helps her planning.)

DD is taking Medieval History and Medieval Lit. She really enjoys her history teacher, Mr. Caro. He's a lively talker and makes the class very interesting. BUT he is one tough teacher when it comes to tests. Not that I mind since I think it is making DD improve on her essay writing skills on tests.

As for the lit, I was expecting more long papers to be assigned. The verdict is still out on this one.

So what kinds of papers are assigned for medieval lit? How is the rest of the class? What is the reading load like? Does the teacher give feedback about writing? Teacher's name?

Can you tell me more about the ancient lit class? Teacher name? Secular class? Reading amount, number of papers, lengths of papers? Do the students know in advance when a paper will be due? (Dd's current English teacher gives them 2-3 weeks notice, depending on the length, which helps her planning.)

My son has Aaron Wells.  In the first semester they read The Iliad and The Odyssey and had quizzes and turned in summaries of the books. There was one very short paper with plenty of advance notice and a semester exam. It is definitely not a writing-intensive class. There is one class a week rather than two like he has for his other courses. 

WTMA is secular (at least, that's how I read their carefully-worded statement on the FAQs), although I get the impression that many of the teachers are Christian.  We are secular homeschoolers ourselves and my son would notice if one of his teachers was getting religious.  I just asked my son about this and he said that religion does come up in class sometimes because the students bring it up (I imagine the students lean a little more Christian), but the teachers don't bring it up themselves and they deal with students' questions and comments briefly.  Both he and I have been comfortable with all three of his classes at secular homeschoolers.

• Like 2

Wow. They even have an AOPS/Singapore 6 pre-algebra combo course! Awesome!

They meet twice per week, so maybe more people will prefer this over AOPS online Pre-A.

Now if only they can add an alternative algebra class using AOPS and at a slower pace than the AOPS online class.

ETA: I see WTM did respond, so maybe next year, but we wantssss it now.

• Like 3

This is very helpful. I was wondering what class and what level would round out WWS1. What AM I going to be teaching next year?

Well, darn, that makes it difficult to plan, I must say. Thanks for the info.

Agreed.  There's always the delayed option if the timing doesn't work out and this year there was more than one section per class so there was some flexibility with the time, but I suppose that's the drawback of signing up early to get the discount.

Forgive me, how exactly do online classes like this work?

I know when I took online classes in college, we had assignments due by certain dates, some professors wanted us to take tests at the colleges. We read lectures and had assigned postings with other students online.

Are these classes like that?

Or does she need to be in front of the computer at set times, set day(s)?

My daughter may be having surgery coming up, there are times she is too ill to do work on specific days and has multiple doctors appointments. It is the main reason we homeschool.

Thank you

I know when I took online classes in college, we had assignments due by certain dates, some professors wanted us to take classes at the colleges. We read lectures and had assigned postings with other students online.

My daughter may be having surgery coming up, there are times she is too ill to do work on specific days and has multiple doctors appointments. It is the main reason we homeschool.

Thank you

Set times, set days unless you enroll in the asynchronous option. Then you watch a lecture when you can.

I know when I took online classes in college, we had assignments due by certain dates, some professors wanted us to take classes at the colleges. We read lectures and had assigned postings with other students online.

Thank you

This year my dd took Expository Writing I.   We took a 2 month driving vacation and could not always make class.  Her teacher has been great at letting her make-up by watching the recording of her class.  The classes is offered at different times for 5 classes.  My daughter has also attended different sections of the class on days she could not get to her class.  The teacher has been very helpful in working around our schedule.  

:toetap05: I'm impatiently waiting for actual class days and times.  It was hard to schedule all the other online classes tonight (because their registrations include days and times) without having WTMA's schedule.  I left two days a week relatively open with the hope that the schedule is similar to this year with M/W and T/Th classes.  Heck, some of the other online classes we were looking at are down to two or three seats left and it's only February!

• Like 2

I signed my middle son up for Rhetoric II, Biology, that one semester history class whose name I can't remember, and American Lit.  We have no idea what our schedule is for next year, or even if we'll be in the same country for the entire school year, so not having a class schedule is the least of my concerns. :)

• Like 1

I'm going to preregister as soon as I find out whether it will be too burdensome for DD to enroll in WWS1 and LToW 1.

I'm really hoping for an Algebra 2 class using AOPS. I'm not sure I need a year long class of Algebra 1 when we are already in Chapter 8, and if anything, I would just have DD go with AOPS online class for that so that we can go over everything quickly before the end of summer.

I preregistered my two eldest in a couple of the middle school classes: study skills (both of them); Expository I (eldest); and Prep for Expository (2nd eldest). Both of them are also scheduled for 1 online class each through different venues. I do hope the scheduling works out. It would make my planning immeasurably easier knowing the days and times of WTMA.

I am considering WTMA for writing for my younger son, so I looked through several of the class descriptions/syllabi from the current year's courses. I noticed on one (I think it was Expository Writing 2) that the teacher held class on days like December 26th (!) and January 1st (!!). This surprised me. Is it really true? Does WTMA not take such days off? I did see a break for Thanksgiving and a few days before Christmas, but no fall or spring break. Just curious...

I can imagine that my 14 year old son would create quite a stir if he had to attend a live writing class on New Year's Day when his extended family is here...eating, playing cards, and watching football. 

• Like 1

There is a Holy week break and we did not do any work on New Year's Day. I am actually thinking that Steve Otto told me that the class times would be announced at the beginning of April. Not during pre-registration. 

My dd is signed up for Rhetoric 1, Bio with Lab, US History, and Geometry

I signed my ds up for Pre-Algebra AOPS/Singapore and a remedial writing course. 

My son has enjoyed and learned from the Expository Writing I class.  We will continue this series of writing classes if the scheduling works out.  I would like to continue with the same teacher as well, if possible.  My son has Mr. Hummel for writing, and it has been a good fit.  Mr. Hummel is rather laid back in his approach, which was hard for me at first, but good for my son.  Having a male, teach my son writing has proved to be a valuable experience.  I have also found that having an online class twice a week is better, for my son, than a class that meets once a week.

Regarding the question of work on holidays - nope, did not happen.  We had 2 weeks off over the holidays - no classes on holidays.

Our teacher is understanding of absences, and other needs.  A great program and worth the money.

Now, they need to post the schedule and teachers!

• Like 2

Yes, we had two weeks off at the end of December and we'll have the week before Easter.  Classes were cancelled around Thanksgiving- maybe even the whole week, but I can't remember for sure.  We were out of town for 10 days with no internet access at the end of the first semester and all three of my son's teachers were flexible with rescheduling tests and allowing papers to be turned in late.  

It's really a fairly typical US holiday schedule and with the flexibility of being able to watch missed classes later even if you're on the live schedule, it works out nicely. 

My son has enjoyed and learned from the Expository Writing I class.  We will continue this series of writing classes if the scheduling works out.  I would like to continue with the same teacher as well, if possible.  My son has Mr. Hummel for writing, and it has been a good fit.  Mr. Hummel is rather laid back in his approach, which was hard for me at first, but good for my son.  

My dd is in Mr Hummel's Prep for Expo class and I felt the same way. She started out in an Expo 1 class with another teacher and it was too much for her. She's an avid reader but her writing skills were lacking. At first I felt Mr H was way too laid back but I just went with it. Boy has my daughter flourished with Mr H and his laid back teaching approach! She really enjoys his class and writing.