Menu

Pickens Plan

There is a great site out there, at http://www.pickensplan.com/

Its worth reading, and I'm rooting for that guy.

To jump ahead to the criticisms;

1. "He's just doing this to make money"

So what? So he's going to make money, big deal. This shouldn't be in opposition to the capitalism that so many support. Not to mention the fact that I think his motivation goes beyond money. And in either case, people aren't going to do things unless money is to be made, sad fact but true.

2. The plan is not the be-all, end-all solution. It is a stop-gap measure, as we work on the solutions that will really make a difference. But it is a stop-gap measure that makes a lot of sense, and it doesn't even start at home with us little guys, its starts with federal/commercial big guys.

Just wanted to share this site, I thought it was very worthwhile. And I hope we don't have to argue about it. :grouphug:

One of my most favorite, smartest friends in the world is a big fan of Pickens. He noted that this guy is already extremely wealthy; he's not just doing this to make money. It's a change he believes would be beneficial not only to the environment, but to our economic standing in the world market. It's amazing the technological advances they are making in the field of wind power. I'd love to see this become a reality.

I like that he is in it to make money. It needs to be about that for any real change to happen.

Yes, thats the truth, if there's no money to be made then no one is going to do it. But I also think, like genie said, that he is a good guy and he wants to help and its not about the money.

And actually thats the combination that will do the most good: people who want to make money and help in the process.

I said in another thread that I think getting us OFF oil should be the number one political issue. It's killing us economically and making us endebted to countries that want to wipe us off the map along with Israel. I would love to see something like this implemented. Heck, I would even go along with converting everything to electric and converting our electrical plants to coal as a stop-gap measure. Not a long term solution but maybe an ok short-term measure.

Great article no arguments from me. This is not a Dem vs Repub issue, and it's a shame that it appears so to many citizens. It's something that our country should have invested in heavily over 30 years ago, like several European countries did.

It really isn't a partisan issue, Dot. I think we can all agree that we need to stop our dependence on foriegn oil. Wow, I just found our common purpose! ;)

There are several motivations for this plan, and T Boone was at the democratic convention, Obama used some of his points in his speech even. Now he's the republican convention to talk to them.

Move, Washington, Move on this!

But I also think, like genie said, that he is a good guy and he wants to help and its not about the money.

And actually thats the combination that will do the most good: people who want to make money and help in the process.

I was reading up a little more on him and found this:

Pickens and employees of his BP Capital LLC donated $7 million to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The Chronicle of Philanthropy lists Pickens as among its largest charitable givers 2005 and 2006. He has donated nearly a half a billion dollars to philanthropic causes during his career.

So greed is definitely NOT his motivation! :)

Thanks for the link, Parabola. I'll check it out; I've been watching his commercials on TV and looking forward to learning more about it. We've got to do something.

All Best,

astrid

:iagree: My dh and I have been watching these, too. We're both hoping it doesn't get swept under the rug like similar plans did in the '70s.

:iagree: My dh and I have been watching these, too. We're both hoping it doesn't get swept under the rug like similar plans did in the '70s.

Take a drive down I-20 around Sweetwater, TX and you'll see - it's definately not getting swept under the rug. Those windmills are EVERYWHERE. My parent's live a little further north and they've just started building them around there house.

I know this is petty - but I hate that they are spoiling the landscape. I'm glad they are there and I'm glad they are serving a good purpose, but they are so darn ugly. My parents live just off the caprock and its so beautiful with the cliffs and red rock - I just hate to lose that.

But at $12000/year/windmill they are going to have plenty of volunteers to get them on their land. I drove past a farm down there with a windmill, cotton field AND an oil well. Talk about living off the land!

Well I live in Kansas, and I tell ya, there aint much scenery here to ruin. :D

But I do know what you mean, its a shame to lose a beautiful view. It'd be nice to concentrate on the areas, such as Kansas and Nebraska and Eastern CO, Oklahoma, the Dakotas and other parts of Texas, that are just flat plains, little color. And big wind.

Although, to be honest, I like the way a windfarm looks. Rows and rows of giants with blades all turning simultaneously.

I said in another thread that I think getting us OFF oil should be the number one political issue. It's killing us economically and making us endebted to countries that want to wipe us off the map along with Israel. I would love to see something like this implemented. Heck, I would even go along with converting everything to electric and converting our electrical plants to coal as a stop-gap measure. Not a long term solution but maybe an ok short-term measure.

Hey, I want to use this opportunity to agree with you wholeheartedly, :iagree:

I don't think he's in it to make money. I think after all his years in business there is an end to oil. I hope the powers that be get on board and support this.

I recently saw an interview with a farming couple that had put in windmills on their property. They said it was the only crop that always brought in some money and they didn't have to put any work into it.