Menu

Going on day 4 post-due. Please give me your best tip for triggering labor...

I wouldn't be quite so impatient if I hadn't been up the past 2 out 4 nights with contractions. I feel like I'm right there, ready to go into full labor and then they stop...frustration.

Plus, I've been induced four out of five times (my labor just doesn't progress). The one time I went into labor without the help of pitocin was so much easier. I'd love to experience that again.

Taking any suggestions (but.will.not.drink.castor oil - ick)

There is a tincture called B&B Labor Formula. It's a mix of Black and Blue cohosh and other herbs that trigger labor. My midwife carried it on hand. If you can't get that...castor oil, however disgusting, worked for me. Just mix w/ OJ or Root beer (my favorite) and chug it. 3 oz. at least of CO. My midwife always suggests s%x as well, but it never worked for me! Take long walks when you start having those mild contractions, sit and rock on an exercise ball (it might help engage your baby so that it's head is sitting on your cervix to get those contractions going stronger), do some pelvic rocks (again, helps to engage baby). Perhaps do some squats (only if you know your baby is in a good position for starting labor already). N%pple stimulation works as well but you must do it for a while...it does get rather tiring unless you have help, LOL! Good luck...I know it's hard to wait. OH, one more thing, go see your dr. or midwife. W/ my last baby, I was in prodromol labor for days until I couldn't stand it. Went to see my midwife, she checked me and I was at 5cm w/ a bulging bag of waters. I did the B&B stuff, but all she really had to do was break my water and I would have gone into real labor. See where you are as far as dilation and ask you dr. or midwife to break your water. Then walk!

Plus, I've been induced four out of five times (my labor just doesn't progress). The one time I went into labor without the help of pitocin was so much easier. I'd love to experience that again.

Taking any suggestions (but.will.not.drink.castor oil - ick)

I hated being induced.. My second was so much better~I went on my own.

I hope you go into labor soon :)

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, I might be in your position in a couple months :( but I hope not..

We're not allowed to go longer than 2 weeks over if we use OB-Gyn's here. I'm sure I would have gone 44 weeks like my aunt did back in the late 1970s. All I know is that I never once went into labour on my own and was induced to labour once. I wasn't a good candidate for home labour as my first's head was large and in the wrong position. It's not like turning a different kind of breach.

Sex, n*pple stimulation, and all the goodies that go along with?

Here's how I see it:

You go for a nice walk with dh. You put the kids to bed. You have candlelight, something fun for dinner (order take out!), and proceed directly to the above. You get to incorporate all the good suggestions into one evening. Something's bound to work. And, wouldn't you rather try the goodies before you resort to castor oil? :D

Doran

but.will.not.drink.castor oil - ick

Oh, you don't have to drink it! Send Sweetie to the store to buy it, get up and go to the phone to call your Mom to tell her that you're giving in -- and *SPLAT*!

Things will move along nicely after that. ;-)

Doran, dear. Doran, Doran, Doran....deep sigh

When you're 9 months pregnant, and overdue and wanting to get that baby out already, and not sleeping well and uncomfortable with everything about life, do you really expect that poor pregnant soul to think of sex and nipple stimulation as "the goodies"? And furthermore, do you really expect said poor soul, to think of dinner and candlelight as romantic?Oy, I'm not even that far along and romantic to me is dh putting the kids to bed so I can go to bed. Alone.

sign0201.gif

if I led you astray..........there was nothing romantic about the sex when you are 9 months pregnant and trying to get things started (contraction speaking)

In fact we were hysterical with laughter the first time........it really was all about procreation, not entertainment......

You'll know when you get that desperate :)

Oh, by all means, take her advice! I mean, I would because it really does seem to help. But...BUT...I'm just saying it's a pretty big stretch to take the advice and have all the romantic feelings and getting yourself all "worked up" for "the goodies" (which makes me want to shudder at this point, LOL, so I can't imagine how you feel! Ha!)

By the way, I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, so if someone has already mentioned this, I apologize. But did you know there is a pressure point in your ankle - I wanna say it's your right ankle - that is supposed to stimulate labor? Dr's. actually warn about it when getting foot rubs - to be careful with that area. Maybe if you did a search about it, it would result in something?

Keep us posted!!

Oh, by all means, take her advice! I mean, I would because it really does seem to help. But...BUT...I'm just saying it's a pretty big stretch to take the advice and have all the romantic feelings and getting yourself all "worked up" for "the goodies" (which makes me want to shudder at this point, LOL, so I can't imagine how you feel! Ha!)

Did I mention that it's been 11 years since I was last pregnant? Guess it appears I've lost touch (no pun intended) with reality, huh? But, no! I still stand by my advice. I'm speaking from experience here -- because both of mine were more than a week late! And, in my book, there is nothing wrong with a nice dinner (for Pete's sake, you can do squats while you eat for all I care..I didn't say it had to be romantic. Just alone, no other kids, soft, welcoming, and relaxing. And, I don't care what you say, I'd try any of the options on my list before resorting to castor oil! Yack!!! :eek:

Doran

However, just enjoyed some spicy eggplant from the local chinese restaurant. We'll see how that goes. I mentioned to my dh Doran's advice. He loved the idea. First, however, I have to see if the eggplant "takes". After that, I may have to put on some sweet body lotion, light some candles, and go for it! (you have no idea how unappealing that sounds to me right now with this huge belly...the battle of the bulge will take on a whole new meaning)

...After that, I may have to put on some sweet body lotion, light some candles, and go for it! (you have no idea how unappealing that sounds to me right now with this huge belly...the battle of the bulge will take on a whole new meaning)

Don't worry, Amy. Your libido will kick in. After all, isn't that how this all started? ;)

However, just enjoyed some spicy eggplant from the local chinese restaurant. We'll see how that goes. I mentioned to my dh Doran's advice. He loved the idea. First, however, I have to see if the eggplant "takes". After that, I may have to put on some sweet body lotion, light some candles, and go for it! (you have no idea how unappealing that sounds to me right now with this huge belly...the battle of the bulge will take on a whole new meaning)

You'll have had a lovely, memorable time with your dh...right?! Spicy eggplant, eh. Sorry...not being an eggplant fan, that sounds like a cousin to castor oil to me!

I'll be sending all good wishes for labor and a lovely evening (not in that order!).

Doran

p.s. Oh, and did you REALLY think your dh would DISLIKE the idea? ;)

It's becoming laughable at this point. But now that I've come this far, I'm hoping to last till Friday. Tomorrow is my 5 yo ds and 4 yo dd's first day of preschool and I really want to be there for the Open House. Thursday is our homeschooling V-Day party and I'd hate for my kids to miss out on it. Plus my dh has two very important business meetings tomorrow.

SOoo, all this to say that I'm trying to stay positive and rely on God's perfect timing.

BTW, Nancypants and Doran, your "method" of initiating labor does not work :D

It's becoming laughable at this point. But now that I've come this far, I'm hoping to last till Friday. Tomorrow is my 5 yo ds and 4 yo dd's first day of preschool and I really want to be there for the Open House. Thursday is our homeschooling V-Day party and I'd hate for my kids to miss out on it. Plus my dh has two very important business meetings tomorrow.

SOoo, all this to say that I'm trying to stay positive and rely on God's perfect timing.

BTW, Nancypants and Doran, your "method" of initiating labor does not work :D

Why, I think you've just about guaranteed yourself a baby tomorrow ;). But here's to Friday :D!

Praying you go soon. I remember waiting on #4 who was due on my second child's bday and kept thinking I hoped I wouldn't have him on the same day. Well, I went way beyond that day and was in a predicament like you...my dd's PreK picnic was coming up and I wanted to get past that. I did with days to spare and ended up delivering on Mother's Day! God DOES have the perfect plan. Good luck!

Did I mention that it's been 11 years since I was last pregnant? Guess it appears I've lost touch (no pun intended) with reality, huh? But, no! I still stand by my advice. I'm speaking from experience here -- because both of mine were more than a week late! And, in my book, there is nothing wrong with a nice dinner (for Pete's sake, you can do squats while you eat for all I care..I didn't say it had to be romantic. Just alone, no other kids, soft, welcoming, and relaxing. And, I don't care what you say, I'd try any of the options on my list before resorting to castor oil! Yack!!! :eek:

Doran

LOL I agree. Castor oil scares me. Never touched the stuff but have heard enough horror stories! :eek: When we used sex as the thing to make the baby come it usually was a nooner and very quick! LOL One time I remember sending the two little ones for a short nap... I put them in their room, put the gate up and said, "Look at books for 5 minutes okay?!" ten minutes later I was in full swing labor... baby was born less than four hours later! LOL Romance was not necessary... and neither was orgasm for that matter! We just called it "the last hoorah" for daddy because after that it would be six long weeks! ROFL

Yup. Castor oil will definitely do the trick. I would have liked it better mixed with chocolate, though. I had some Coke concoction. Didn't taste so great, but contractions started with a vengeance within 10 minutes. (Warning: This can cause vomiting, so you need to remain well hydrated if using Castor oil.)

I'm still here at 12 days past due. But this am my water broke and now I'm just waiting for contractions to start or the doctor to order me into the hospital, whichever comes first.

I've really been praying to not be induced but so far contractions have been irregular and weak at best.

I'm just not one to have babies naturally. I always require help from that dog-on petocin. I hate that stuff.

Will report back in a few days, hopefully, with news of a healthy baby girl.

Blessings,

Amy

I'm still here at 12 days past due. But this am my water broke and now I'm just waiting for contractions to start or the doctor to order me into the hospital, whichever comes first.

Best of luck with having this baby without Pitocin - I didn't manage it, but he got born in the end....

Best wishes

Laura

Walk around...a lot. Do the stairs, walk up and down your block. Labor will start naturally...don't do Pitocin. W/ my 5th my water broke 24 hours before labor started. Baby could be in an awkward position. Do the stairs and hold your hips at unequal levels. If your baby is facing your back...she'll turn and move into position. Be careful though...she might come quick once that happens. Got an exercise ball? Sit on that and rock back and forth. Try hands and knees and pelvic rocks. Usually water breaks early when the baby is mal-positioned. Mine always were! Try those different positions to see if baby can maneuver into a better position. Good luck..praying for a healthy baby and smooth delivery W/OUT PITOCIN! Yuck!:)