Menu

Ikea bunk/loft beds

saraha

I don't, but I looked at them pretty closely a few years ago. I didn't feel the metal ones were sturdy enough, and they were too high for our ceilings.

We ended up making one from Ana White. It was cost effective, pretty simple to do, and very sturdy. My 14yo dd is happy with hers. It could easily have a bed under it, but we just have a reading area there.

I was consideringetting the wooden loft bed for our daughter.  We went to the nearby IKEA store to check it out and it seemed REALLY flimsy!  I could easily wiggle it with one arm, I didn't feel comfortable putting my child in it unless it was securely bolted to the wall or very strongly reinforced.  

Just my opinion.  

We have a set of metal Ikea bunk beds.  They are holding up fine, but they are squeaky!  Drive me crazy but the boys that use them don't seem to mind.  My husband built loft beds for two of our rooms that are solid as rocks and he's not a talented carpenter at all.  I'll try to remember to ask him where he got the plans and post them later.

We used metal bunk beds for about three years and there was no change in their look or performance over that time.  We have had wooden captain's beds for six years and they are also going strong - the most we have had to do is tighten the bolts every six months or so.  In our current house, the ceilings are too low for bunk or loft beds.

L

My five year old has been in a Kura for three years, and we love it. When my toddler leaves my bed, we will probably put a mattress underneath it and pretend that it's a bunk bed. We bought the bed tent and the smyg wall lamp to go with it. Amazingly, the tent still is intact. We had to replace the lamp, though.

OP, thanks for this thread, it is very timely for me!

We've been looking at Ikea bunk and loft beds....ones on Walmart.com.....building them from plans on Ana White...etc.  I still don't know what we're going to do.  I tell DH if we don't do something soon, the kids are going to outgrow them! :)

We have Walmart metal ones, one that is short with just enought space for a dresser or storage underneath and a tall one. Both are fairly sturdy, both can hold at least over 200 pounds total, and have survived several military moves, being taken apart and put back together several times. They both sway a tiny bit when climbing the ladder but are sturdy overall. For the price they are great.

I have a metal twin/full bunk from Ikea which has held up nicely. It's about four years old (bought while I was pregnant with DS). I cosleep with him on the bottom bunk and DD gets the top. It is a bit squeaky, but also sturdy--I climb up to the top to make the bed without a problem.

We have one of the Mydal bunk beds from Ikea. We've had it for a year and a half, I guess? It's held up just fine. DH has gotten on the top bunk and he is not particularly small. :) I have gotten up there, too, and didn't feel like I was taking my life in my hands. Our kids are still little, but I think it will last quite a few years.

DD had the tall solid wood loft for about 4 years or so between the ages of 10-14/15. She is 5'8" and over 100lbs. She and her friend used to sleep up there all the time, so between the two of them it was near/over 200lbs. She didn't like the ladder in her room, so for quite a while they just climbed the frame. Then it was passed on to dd8 who is NOT gentle on anything.  DD8 used it off and on for about a year, and then it was sold on Craigslist.  It was as solid when we sold it as when we first bought it.  

We are very careful to put IKEA furniture together well.  We make sure to go slow to not strip the fittings. They are lightly tightened during assembly and then we go another round over the project to tighten every thing at the end once it is sitting square.  We use a drill to tighten the pieces.  

I think hers was the STORA loft.  We did cut the legs down a bit due to her height and regular ceilings. It was a simple hack, we just used a saw to cut the legs and ladder where we wanted them. I can't remember if the bed slats come with the frame or not, but if not, we always upgrade to the highest level of bed slats for IKEA beds and buy upper end mattresses. 

DD15 and DS20 both have IKEA beds.  They are the MALM with drawers.  Again, we buy the highest quality slats, and I know their mattress was in the $600 range for a full size.  They are VERY, VERY comfortable beds and they love them.  Very soon, we are going to buy the MALM for dd8 also.  I just want to repaint her room first.

We have a metal IKEA one that a friend gave us when they were done with it - so I'd say it is at least 8 years old, probably 10+.  It is still in great shape.  We did saw it shorter to fit our room (we had lower gabled ceilings in the attic rooms of our old house), so it is about 4 1/2-5 ft off the ground and extremely sturdy.

Glad to see this. Dd saw this and it looks like a good fit for her room.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49023533/

We have two of these. I think they are quite sturdy. I honestly hate loft beds, but these were an excellent solution to 2 kids in a small room. They each have their own bookshelves, drawers, wardrobe, and desk. Which would be otherwise impossible.