Menu

In my day, we got a better quality of troll.

Rivka

I thought she was mad because she was going to die of starvation and the waiter didn't bring the salad immediately but served it just before the main course.

Oh, I think you're right!  The waitress didn't bring the salad until others were getting their food?

Anyway, the first post was a little odd, then a few people responded and didn't completely agree with her and she freaked, completely went over the deep end.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn its!  I miss those CarolfromIL threads!   :laugh:   

The funniest was after all the "I need to ask my pastor about curriculum" threads, she went and left her family and moved to New England to be a cocktail waitress.

But what do I know, I got called a fat mean girl.

We had a doozy of a troll on the old boards who had a dd who got preggo at the age of 12 having done the deed with a boy she met at home school coop in the church bathroom. That was quite a story. She had a lot of people going for awhile. Her other stories were also quite imaginative, and people sent her money, items, ect, and she posed as multiple people on different computers.

That was JGE Mom and she burned a lot of people -- emotionally, but also financially.  It was Butch (Doc) who outed her in a most spectacular fashion.  Unfortunately, it was after she'd grifted many on the boards.  I have never felt the same way about internet interactions since.  That was one painful, hard lesson.

Back when I started homeschooling, one of the books I read recommended that we have our children call us "Mrs. _____ " during school time so that they would take it seriously. They could call us Mommy when we weren't doing school. ETA: There's a good chance I still have that book in my stash in the garage.

I remember that!!!!! My oldest was in an academic co-op at the time and I remember trying to imagine what she described taking place there.

She was a troll of the highest order.

I haven't seen the thread you're talking about, OP, but I have to say, some things wouldn't surprise me if they were true. Now I have to sit down with my Friday beer and think about what I want to be called during school hours...

I remember it well...her name was jgemom and I thin it was Mrs. Mungo that did the research on the IP addresses of jgemom and several "other" posters who were responding to her-it turns out they were the same and she had several different board handles.  Wow.  This was on the old boards and was my first experience with a true crazy person on the internet.  Good memories...LOL.

There was also someone, who shall remain nameless right now, who jumped into 3 different religions within a 2 year span.....all wholeheartedly.

I actually had a friend IRL that did that. All wholeheartedly, with a scorn for the infidels and actually starting to talk with a slight Arab accent in her Muslim stage. :lol:

Whoa, this level of trolling is quite different than the "say something inflammatory and watch the drama ensue" type of trolls I'm used to.  I'm going to have to really keep my skeptic radar going...which is hard... I was voted most gullible at one time in my youth.  Are these just bored people or are they hoping to actually get something out of all this?   Gosh, I can barely keep my own life together, I don't have time to have multiple lives.

I'm used to the inflammatory type too and I try to skip them, but I've been pulled in a time or two.

The storytellers and multiple lives?  One has to wonder what's going on internally/mentally and do their close family members/friends (IRL) know what is going on?  Or do they have such people in their lives?

I know I'd have trouble remembering basic lies if I started using them (who did I tell what about why I can't be there?).  I can't fathom trying to keep track of multiple stories and lives nor could I probably be creative enough to come up with anything someone would actually follow.

I use the same screen name everywhere because there's no way I could remember multiple names!

My memory is going somewhat, but it's still easier to remember real things - at least I think it is...

Wait, the woman being run off the sidewalk by the stroller lady was a troll???

That's one of the stories I always wondered about. Not whether or not it was true, but how it resolved. I figured I had just missed the ending when I hadn't checked the boards regularly enough.

Dang it.

FWIW, I didn't realize she was a troll either.  Now I'm wondering how someone knew.  Did she confess?  Or was she one of those with multiple names?

I actually had a friend IRL that did that. All wholeheartedly, with a scorn for the infidels and actually starting to talk with a slight Arab accent in her Muslim stage. :lol:

Well, I actually called this woman out by PM, which I thought was the right thing to do.  

The PMs started with me calling her out on one thing on the boards and her PMing me and asking me not to question her as it was "too private."  I PMed her back and said, "You need to stop telling half-truths on the board, especially when you have a BLOG in your siggy line that states something OTHER than what you are posting here on the boards!"

She quickly removed her blog link and she deleted quite a bit of her blog after that.

The thing that upset me was that people on her had sent her stuff after she posted she needed X or Y......it was nothing big that I know of, but still.....she was scamming.

I remember it well...her name was jgemom and I thin it was Mrs. Mungo that did the research on the IP addresses of jgemom and several "other" posters who were responding to her-it turns out they were the same and she had several different board handles.  Wow.  This was on the old boards and was my first experience with a true crazy person on the internet.  Good memories...LOL.

I wasn't on the boards yet.....sounds like I missed a doozy!

The thing that upset me was that people on her had sent her stuff after she posted she needed X or Y......it was nothing big that I know of, but still.....she was scamming.

Do people do these sorts of things to get stuff to sell?  Or were people sending money?

I only know the home address of two boardies.  I've met a couple of others IRL and hope to meet more March 12th with a local get together, but beyond that... I know areas where people live, but not actual "could show up in their driveway" addresses.

Oh wait, I probably could come up with more addresses due to books I've sold in the past, but still, that's a bit different - and I'm not really sure records go back that far for me to truly access that info.

Am I way out of the loop and these things are commonly shared?  And if so, I'd willing share my address with some of you who love to clean.  You wouldn't have to send me a thing!   :D

Do people do these sorts of things to get stuff to sell?  Or were people sending money?

I only know the home address of two boardies.  I've met a couple of others IRL and hope to meet more March 12th with a local get together, but beyond that... I know areas where people live, but not actual "could show up in their driveway" addresses.

Oh wait, I probably could come up with more addresses due to books I've sold in the past, but still, that's a bit different - and I'm not really sure records go back that far for me to truly access that info.

Am I way out of the loop and these things are commonly shared?  And if so, I'd willing share my address with some of you who love to clean.  You wouldn't have to send me a thing!   :D

I truly have no idea.

So many on this board are so nice.  I have been sent stuff for free that I really didn't even ask for, I just posted that I needed it.  I have sent some things for free as well, just because I wanted to get rid of it and was so thankful it would be put to good use by someone who actually wanted it.

So, I am NOT anti-helping folks at all.....but I get jaded after some interactions.

I have met a few people from the boards.  Some live near me and some I have happened to meet while traveling.  I would love to meet more.

I thought the stroller story was legit.  I wonder what ever happened to her. 

For the record, I've been accused of trolling here (and later redeemed, thank you excellent WTM researchers), but the sad reality is that my real life just has large quantities of crazy from one particular side of the family.  I'd share to entertain you, but I've learned my lesson. 

My favorite troll was Carol too, and I guess in a weird way I miss her soap-opera-ish drama.  <--- I can't believe I just admitted that, she drove me nuts at the time.

Wait, the woman being run off the sidewalk by the stroller lady was a troll???

That's one of the stories I always wondered about. Not whether or not it was true, but how it resolved. I figured I had just missed the ending when I hadn't checked the boards regularly enough.

To

Dang it.

No, she wasn't a troll. In my post above I listed some of the funny but not necessarily trolling threads. Another mom would intentionally veer her stroller way over to the other side of the sidewalk and barely miss or bump into the WTM poster.

Here's the thread. The OP deleted much of her own content, but you can read most of it in others' posts where she is quoted.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/375192-mother-running-me-off-sidewalk/q

For the record, I've been accused of trolling here (and later redeemed, thank you excellent WTM researchers), but the sad reality is that my real life just has large quantities of crazy from one particular side of the family.  I'd share to entertain you, but I've learned my lesson. 

I WISH I could blame both my never-ending health issues and the deals with MIL and a couple other members of my family (NOT immediate family) on my being a troll.  That would mean I could easily "end" those!

No, she wasn't a troll. In my post above I listed some of the funny but not necessarily trolling threads. Another mom would intentionally veer her stroller way over to the other side of the sidewalk and barely miss or bump into the WTM poster.

Here's the thread. The OP deleted much of her own content, but you can read most of it in others' posts where she is quoted.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/375192-mother-running-me-off-sidewalk/q

So glad you linked the old thread. I now have closure on the crazy stroller lady story.

I truly have no idea.

So many on this board are so nice.  I have been sent stuff for free that I really didn't even ask for, I just posted that I needed it.  I have sent some things for free as well, just because I wanted to get rid of it and was so thankful it would be put to good use by someone who actually wanted it.

So, I am NOT anti-helping folks at all.....but I get jaded after some interactions.

I have met a few people from the boards.  Some live near me and some I have happened to meet while traveling.  I would love to meet more.

I've been thinking about this thread this morning while packing for my around the world trip on a luxury cruise liner we've charted...  :lol:

I've kind of decided it doesn't really matter if something is true.  It can be fun to ponder and discuss anyway.

I wouldn't really be as fond of the medical deals we pray about being faked, but I trust God to know what is true and what isn't.

The trolls who post inflammatory stuff to get a response... I guess those can be fun, stress tests, or skipped too.

Overall, it can be wise to verify before sending anything to anyone.

(And for anyone who didn't put two + two together with the around the world cruise and :lol: ... that part is faked (bummer!).  I am, however, packing for a trip I'm looking forward to immensely  :coolgleamA:  - but I should still be around to stay in touch with trolls and the rest of us.) 

That was JGE Mom and she burned a lot of people -- emotionally, but also financially.  It was Butch (Doc) who outed her in a most spectacular fashion.  Unfortunately, it was after she'd grifted many on the boards.  I have never felt the same way about internet interactions since.  That was one painful, hard lesson.

That was just before my time, but I've heard the stories. She was the kind of troll who hurt people and like you said, colored your (and many people's) view of online interactions.  :sad:

I do remember Carol and the lake house and the stroller lady. Those at least were fun. It was especially fun to see them getting called out. Fun times. :D

As far as I can tell, some trolls seem to actually have Munchausen. The false identity attention seekers? They're the ones. Drama instigators don't bother me unless they're harassing membering individually, since everyone chooses to respond to their obviously bated post-bombs. But I definitely think low grade mental instability is part and parcel of some of these people's constitutions.

Yes, there was an online article years ago about this. It chronicled the entire story of how the person pulled in a group of women on a mom board. The article then went through how her false story was uncovered and the hoops she jumped through to convince people it was all real. At the time I had only barely heard of Muchausen (and Munchausen by Proxy), and found the article fascinating. 

Yes, there was an online article years ago about this. It chronicled the entire story of how the person pulled in a group of women on a mom board. The article then went through how her false story was uncovered and the hoops she jumped through to convince people it was all real. At the time I had only barely heard of Muchausen (and Munchausen by Proxy), and found the article fascinating. 

Ok, definitely double my cautionary musings about sending things to people.

Am I incorrect in thinking sites like GoFundMe could be just as abused - or more?

And my wandering mind wants to know what these people put down as their occupation - internet scammer?  Internet "pro?"

OK, I went back and read the whole stroller thread from beginning to end. I now know the ending. So anti-climatic, though. The story was entertaining right up to the ending. We might need to start a new thread or just add on to the old one and all finish the story in a fiction manner, that ending was just not right. It would make a good SNL skit or short you tube story, I would die laughing to see a dramatized version with different strategies and crazy stroller lady's response to each.

Not on this board but does anyone remember a homeschooling dad on one of the homeschool Yahoo groups that turned out to be a whopper of a troll?  He claimed to have twin boys diagnosed with...  Was it CF?  And a wife who had died from it?  He ended his made-up story in a dramatically spectacular fashion with the boys (or was it all of them?) being killed in a car crash.  I'm not sure I have all the details correct but I know that he hurt and angered lot of people.

I think once he was called out, he claimed to have done it for research for an article or some such thing.  It was emotional manipulation of the most despicable kind.

There was a woman on one of my Facebook birth boards who after around a year and a half was found out to be 17 year old girl. She had pictures and profiles and everything seemed legit albeit a crazy life with a cheating husband. She even integrated her real self into the story as the niece of the person she was pretending to be. She met a boardie in real life as the niece as well. After her stories got more elaborate, people started sleuthing and found out the truth. It was a huge ordeal since the board was secret and people talked about a lot of personal stuff on there. She ended up turning up on other birth boards after as people recognized her stories and writing style. In actuality she had stolen the persona of a real person that her mother worked for which is why she had access to photos, and stories.  It was messed up. 

I've always been curious about a poster who had a very dramatic story that involved job loss and moving to live with the NPD mom, lots of kids - there was a concerted effort to raise money for her so they could stay in a motel instead ? And then suddenly there were no more posts ? Was that poster kosher ? Has she just moved on/away from the forums ? Or was she a troll ?

Oh, I do remember that.....who was that?

I know who you're talking about & I think she's legit. Aubrey/Pencilpusher? Or something like that. She's been back but very rarely.

I've always been curious about a poster who had a very dramatic story that involved job loss and moving to live with the NPD mom, lots of kids - there was a concerted effort to raise money for her so they could stay in a motel instead ? And then suddenly there were no more posts ? Was that poster kosher ? Has she just moved on/away from the forums ? Or was she a troll ?

I WISH I could blame both my never-ending health issues and the deals with MIL and a couple other members of my family (NOT immediate family) on my being a troll.  That would mean I could easily "end" those!

Reading a post on first page on this thread made me realise I must be a troll too! Dang, I wish I'd realised that sooner!

I'll be under my bridge if you are looking for me...trip, trap, trip, trap......

I've always been curious about that person too, and wondered how it all turned out.  I don't remember any troll outing though? 

There was the recent member who was very anxious to learn how to post a photo. Remember her?

Yes, with the huge cleveage in her avatar.

Remember the guy who kept posting YouTube videos of girls in bikinis?

This is cracking me up  - I had no idea that all of this went on online. 

I'm new to the boards, but I promise I'm not a troll!  I joined after months of lurking because I had a homeschool related question that no one I know IRL could answer.  I knew that the ladies here would have the answer.  I don't sit down at my computer often, so I usually read on my ipad.  My ipad is so old & slow I can't stand to reply on it.  I reply a lot in my head, though! 

Question on the stroller thread - I got almost all the way through then gave up. Was the OP posting under two different names?  I'm assuming that's not normal!