Menu

A 5 year old's view of the world

Alice

So, I was wasting time on the computer and watching a few of the Super Bowl commercials. My 11 year old and 5 year old came over to watch over my shoulder. The 5 year old saw a screen for the one for Carl Jr.'s with the basically naked model. She wanted to watch it (the screen just showed the model's face with long blond hair and she's in the middle of biting a big juicy burger.  I'm sure my daughter thought it was a princess video or maybe Barbie). I said no. They asked why. I said I had seen it and it "wasn't appropriate" for them. 

Five year old considers, nods knowingly, and asks "Oh, does she burp?" 

Yes. That's it, sweet innocent child. She burps. :) 

My son just turned ten, but has begun going to the library regularly to play MineCraft and Magic with the publicly schooled kids. There are a few older boys (13 & 14) but most are between 10-12. The other day he came home and googled a highly inappropriate term. I was shocked. I asked what was going on; I wanted to know some details about looking at such things on the Internet. His response:

"When I don't know what something means, I Google it. I don't know why [older boy's name] even cares. The girls are just naked. So are you if you take your clothes off. Half the population are naked girls under their clothes."

It was very hard to stifle my laughter. He had no clue. Pretty soon I think knowledge that half the population are naked girls under their clothes might not seem like such a ridiculous thought.