Menu

Remember all those discussions about conference alternatives?

I've seen Shelagh Gallagher speak at the RFWP conference and enjoyed her talks.  Just tossing that out there.  I'm about to order her Problem Based Learning Unites for One on the plague, so her things have been on my mind.

Agreed.  Also from RFWP - Stephanie Tolan (I see MCT has already been mentioned).  I'd bet Stephanie and Shelagh would give some great talks on Homeschooling the Gifted Child!

You know what I would love? All academic talks, for every subject, for sure. Logic through rhetoric level interests me most at this point. I definitely don't want to cross into lifestyle discussions, but I could use practical, explicit advice about scheduling and juggling kids at different levels. With 6th, 4th, and 3rd this year, I am finding it much harder to balance time between group, one-on-one, and independent work. We were in a perfect sweet spot for a good long while, but things feel somewhat chaotic this year. I would like to start on better footing next year. The work is only getting more intense, more time-consuming, and...just MORE!

Suggested Topics --

How to Teach Logic Without Falling Asleep

• this could relate to any subject in which the parent honestly has no interest or aptitude (whatsoever), but in particular (for me?) would involve Traditional Logic :blushing: The MP TL1 video is not helpful in keeping me awake; in fact, quite the opposite (although it is better if I watch it on 2.5x speed). :blushing: I'm just trying to keep ahead of my oldest student, but...
  • are there any alternatives to teaching Logic, such as substituting chess, strategy games, or languages (i.e., what is the convincing argument that this is necessary?)

Homeschooling Beyond Our Own Limitations

• using materials that help the teacher who doesn't have an expert background in everything
  • the pros and cons of "learning alongside our students" and how to know when your student is passing by you (it won't be long now...)
  • knowing when and how to outsource
  • finding, background/reference checking, contracting with, communicating with, paying, hiring/firing, and monitoring in-person tutors
  • specific qualifications for specific disciplines (e.g., math tutors, language tutors, music instructors, etc.)
  • what to look for in a cottage school course, an academic co-op, or any other form of outsourced, in-person outsourced instruction
  • what to look for in an online course & how to not get burned
  • if and when to use community college, dual enrollment, special high school programs that offer credit, or other options (pros? cons? what to look for?)
  • making the transition from directly teaching everything to searching out & administrating the resources

Math for Non-Mathies

• Specifically for those for whom math was never "beautiful," but required drudgery and turmoil -- the goal being not to suddenly show how math is beautiful (if someone links to Vi Hart one more time, I'm going to :banghead: ), but to show how (and whether or not) it is possible for a non-mathy parent to actually teach and/or administer a strong, solid, consistent math sequence
  • What is the basic sequence of math?
  • What are the foundational concepts and skills?
  • What gets built upon them?
  • What is the purpose of the higher math courses, aside from "You need them to get into college?"
  • What are alternative paths, with and without Algebra, Geometry, Calculus? Personal finance? Bookkeeping & accounting? Statistics?
  • What are the pros and cons of working on Algebra and Geometry (or another course) simultaneously over 2-3 years, alternating focus?

Setting Up a Science-Friendly Home

• I'd like to suggest Rob Krampf for this lecture, he is the wonderful and inspiring teacher behind The Happy Scientist
  • What can parents do to establish a culture of observation and inquiry, curiosity and wonder?
  • What are the top ten "things" that should be in a homeschool Science Center (e.g., microscope [recs], electronics stuff [recs], nature collections, DNA models, field guides, etc.)
  • When a child asks questions, and we don't know "the answer," what then? If we don't know much about velocity, inertia, and momentum (on the spot), what is the best way to handle their questions?
  • How can we search out Science fairs, how can homeschoolers prepare and participate, and what is the purpose doing so?
  • How do we go about finding opportunities for learning Science outside the classroom?

I would also be interested in audio format, if that could be made available. I'm not able to travel away from home -- just too busy teaching, running the home, and we can't afford to put the money out for that. I've never been to a HS conference, but this sounds like a great opportunity to dig deeper into becoming a better educator. Thanks, Susan.

Would love to hear any thoughts you might have on pricing, timing, topics, and speakers you'd like to see!

SWB

One other thought, but not exactly related to the above request:

I don't know how else to say this, except to say it, so here goes. [Deep breath] The more the speakers can minimize their use of "uh" and "ah" and "um," the more professional they will sound to their audience and the easier it will be to listen to them in any format.*

For example, in the academy video you linked, the moderator (Kayla Meyers) uttered 9-10 "ums" or "uhs" within the first minute alone, with many more to follow. I am not picking on her (or the academy), I'm not picking anything apart. I'm not a public speaker (much), but have done enough public speaking (at times) to know just how difficult it is to eliminate those "uhs" and "ums" from what we say. However, IMO, it is important, perhaps essential, for anyone in a teaching or speaking role to work hard at reducing vocal flotsam and jetsam.

In the first place, we are trying to teach our students not to have that habit themselves. We tell them that, in order to become effective in public speaking, they need to work at eliminating filler words. It is more difficult to inculcate good speaking habits in students, if their adult role models are "umming" and "ahhing" all the time. Students will imitate what they hear! I also think this habit detracts from the authority of the teacher or speaker, who ends up sounding like more like a young student than an experienced, mature guide.

In the second place, that method of speaking can be so distracting for some listeners, it renders the content inaccessible. They will spend the hour counting "ahs," and miss out anything of value that might be said. That habit detracts from the quality of the learning experience, by requiring the listener to filter out all the vocal garbage that the filler words add in.

I would encourage PHP/WTM to encourage all its speakers and teachers to consider what they sound like, and how their speaking habits might impact a student's ability to learn (or a parent's willingness to pay for all those "ahs" and "ums"). Sorry, but that's the truth. I honestly hope that wasn't too rough. And, I hope it helps. 

* This suggestion includes other filler words, such as but, so (especially starting every other sentence with "So, anyway..."), y'know, okay, well, like, wanna, gonna, and so on.

High school please! It was only a couple of months ago that I found out that things like AP classes exist, and only a couple of weeks ago that I discovered that the SAT has subject tests. High school starts in 1.5 years and I know nothing. I didn't know that I didn't know those things. And now that I know they exist I'm scrambling to figure out what that means for me as a homeschooler.

So...high school please! High School 101 for someone who doesn't remember those things from her own high school years. (Were they around in the late 80s and I was under a rock?)

I was just telling my husband this morning how much I could use a professional development day.  

I'll be happy to partake in whatever you offer.  

I would be especially interested in sessions on effective literacy teaching; effective teaching methods (in general); science from K-12; the importance of Greek/Latin/Great Books.   

Or a session on a  Great Book would be so helpful.  The Illiad and Odyssey session.  The Divine Comedy session, etc.  Pick a book that many of us will be tackling in the coming year and give us some inspiration to learn it.

I want to hear Nan in Mass talk about how she taught her boys to write, balancing their unique struggles with the classic methods of copywork/narration/dictation. She has some wonderful posts on the topic that have greatly helped me, but I would *squishy-heart-LOVE* to hear more. 

I want to hear 8FillstheHeart talk about her philosophy of education and how that applies to delight-driven education in practical terms.

YES to Ronit Bird, please!

Lori Lawing is amazing!  Her talk on Literature the Medium, History the Pivot is wonderful!  

It would be nice to have a satellite conference locally, as in my HS friends all gather at my church and skype in to the meetings...or watch videos together.  Most families here can't afford more than $20 for something like this.

Here are topics I'd love to hear fleshed out by some tried and true TEACHERS. I know we often hear from curriculum vendors/authors, and some are teaching, but some aren't. Over the years, I think I've gleaned the most from those in the classroom or at home teaching and using this stuff everyday. 

*the socratic method -- how does it work in a family, in a book club, in a small co-op class. Do you need a group to use the socratic method?  How does it look with logic/rhetoric students?

*I'd love 3 lectures on 3 different classics -- a teacher prep on three classics that many of us will tackle in the rhetoric years but may not have read ourselves. Dante's Divine Comedy, for example. I'm just overwhelmed to teach that b/c I've never read it (and yes, I've graduated 3 without tackling it!).  I'd love something along the lines of the Latin-in-a-week classes that help the teacher/parent get up to speed so s/he's not hitting it cold alongside her child. Maybe Divine-Comedy-in-an-hour? I simply have not found the time to pre-read everything my kids are doing, so some lectures/how-to's that would make some of the rhetoric level classics approachable would be gold. 

*I'd love to hear from someone like Andrew Campbell on how to approach classical education multum non multa. I've read his book and I'd love to be able to streamline some of what we do, but I want to see it in practice. Has anyone implemented this in their home? Did it look different in high school? How does it look practically? 

Lisa 

I want to hear 8FillstheHeart talk about her philosophy of education and how that applies to delight-driven education in practical terms.

Yes! I love how 8 is able to discuss so many issues across multiple ages from personal experience.

Here are topics I'd love to hear fleshed out by some tried and true TEACHERS. I know we often hear from curriculum vendors/authors, and some are teaching, but some aren't. Over the years, I think I've gleaned the most from those in the classroom or at home teaching and using this stuff everyday. 

Oh, yes! You reminded me of that great video of Jenny Rallens, which I found truly inspirational. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the classroom of an exceptional teacher.

Yes! There have been a few sessions at conferences where they sounded like something I would be interested in, but turned out to be "this is how you use my product." (Which is great if it's something I use or want to use, but not so useful otherwise.)

Since we're offering up ideas for sessions - I'd be down with something geared to those of us who run a secular homeschool but still want the truth/beauty/goodness of a classical education. It gets pretty exhausting to keep having to read through the religious books/blogs/etc and pull out what is useful to me in my own homeschool. Secular classical homeschooling 101. ;)

Maybe something on self-education for us homeschooling parents. 

I could use some hand-holding for 'jumping in' to a classical homeschooling style NOT from the beginning. Going from traditional school, or unschooling, or whatever else, into a classical style...it can be a bit overwhelming. 

Otherwise, I'll probably listen in on any of them that I possibly can. 

Oh, and actual teachers/professors vs. people who have written (and presumably think I should buy) a particular curriculum would also be great. 

Since we're offering up ideas for sessions - I'd be down with something geared to those of us who run a secular homeschool but still want the truth/beauty/goodness of a classical education. It gets pretty exhausting to keep having to read through the religious books/blogs/etc and pull out what is useful to me in my own homeschool. Secular classical homeschooling 101. ;)

Maybe something on self-education for us homeschooling parents. 

I could use some hand-holding for 'jumping in' to a classical homeschooling style NOT from the beginning. Going from traditional school, or unschooling, or whatever else, into a classical style...it can be a bit overwhelming. 

Otherwise, I'll probably listen in on any of them that I possibly can. 

Oh, and actual teachers/professors vs. people who have written (and presumably think I should buy) a particular curriculum would also be great. 

What she said!

I love Carol Reynolds, especially at conferences because she is so unchained.

Someone to talk about high school science.

A panel discussion of high school nitty gritty regarding paperwork to keep, transcripts, course applications, the common app, scheduling AP exams, teaching a non superstar kid, post high school options that don't include college and what to do if you do have a kid that is reaching for selective schools.

Lori D, Nan, Creekland and Faithmanor spring to mind. But I'm sure they aren't the only folks.

Please not the conference regulars who are selling their test prep videos or those who push CLEP to extremes.