Menu

homeschool tracker online vs homeschool planet?

I'm a frequent Homeschool Tracker drop-out. I keep thinking that this time I'll make it work. It's not happened yet - even after around 5 years of trying.

On the other hand...Homeschool Planet was set up in minutes and changed our world. My dd loves that she has her own login. She also likes that she can choose her background and which type of daily quote is displayed, etc.

I think it all comes down to what you're looking for. Homeschool Planet has everything we need and nothing we don't. (Or if it does, it's not intrusive in any way!)

• Like 2

Gosh darn it, I tried it. Free trial. And I like it. I do wish it tracked materials used....but I can keep a separate list I suppose. And that is a feature they are looking to add very soon. Blergh. 

I didn't need to switch planners. But I probably will :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We will be using Homeschool Planet for the coming year, so I am busy scheduling things now.   The only feature it lacks, IMO, is the ability to export lessons into Excel or One Note to print them in a different format than the default options.   But other than that I really love it.   My rising 8th grader will be outsourcing 2 classes, and I love the fact that it's portable.   If he doesn't have a printed asisgnment list, he can have access on his tablet to see and check off assignments when he's away from home.

• Like 1

I love Homeschool Tracker but there is a learning curve. I got it down over a summer and now I don't think I could plan our weeks without it. If you have used another database program like Microsoft Access in the past, that will help. Also, google YouTube videos from real homeschool moms - those are far better instructional tools than the HST videos. The program is powerful but they really should have gotten someone who thinks differently to do the tutorials.
:P

• Like 2

The program is powerful but they really should have gotten someone who thinks differently to do the tutorials.

:p

Oh my gosh, yes!  They have THE worst tutorials.  

It took me forever to figure out HST, and I never would have succeeded without some help from a veteran.   In the end, though, I stopped using it, mostly because I didn't keep up with adding our new materials.  Which is a shame, because I wasted all of that time learning it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It may be a dumb question, but what happens to all the data when you unsubscribe to Homeschool Planet? Can you still keep them?

If you unsubscribe you lose access to everything you implemented, as far as I can tell.  So once you commit you would need to stay with the program unless you wanted to start over with something else.  

Unless you mean for transcripts.  You could just print transcripts out and keep the transcripts.

If you unsubscribe you lose access to everything you implemented, as far as I can tell.  So once you commit you would need to stay with the program unless you wanted to start over with something else.  

Unless you mean for transcripts.  You could just print transcripts out and keep the transcripts.

If you re-subscribe within 2 months, your data remains intact. Otherwise, it is lost. 

FYI, I did go with homeschool planet, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Will never go back to homeschool tracker. And I thought I loved homeschool tracker. I used it for years, had NO problems using it, didn't find it confusing, etc. But Homeschool Planet is so much prettier, and I use it for my own calendar, doctors' appts, etc etc. 

And, the color coding of assingments, where overdue stuff shows up red, helps my son stay on track.