Menu

New Wheelock's Groups at LatinStudy

If anyone's interested, David Meadows has announced that he'll be the facilitator for at least two new Wheelock groups on the LatinStudy list -- one with a chapter a week pace, and one that does a chapter every two weeks. He said they'll probably start around the third week in September.

I learned about the LatinStudy list from these boards, actually, and have been subscribed to it for years, but always seem to just miss the new groups -- or fall dreadfully behind early on.

I'm going to give it another shot, though, because I finally found this:

How To Study Wheelock's

With over three weeks notice, and a plan, it's looking a little better this time. :D

This does sound interesting, but how do you enroll in one of the new classes? Maybe I'm missing something, but the classes I see listed at the link all appear to have been going on for a while.

The ones that are coming up aren't on the current list. For now, what you should do is subscribe to the mailing list. When the website has been set up for the new groups, they'll post a notice to the list.

ETA: Subscribing to the list will also give you a good idea of how the other groups operate, too. And here's a link to David Meadow's site, Atrium Latin. He is the one who will be starting the new groups, so you can see how the ones he already has going work.

My ds and I are planning to start this Sept. so this info. helps a lot.

Great! Hope to see you there!

To further complicate things, a new Greek group was announced last night. :D

I really want to do the Greek, too, and was watching for this to come up. But I'll have to wait for the next one on that.

Howard Gilbert sent a message to the group on Sept. 7 saying that he will be coordinating the Ignis Wheelock's Beginner's Group that will study a chapter every two weeks, and you should email your initials to him if you're interested. The first assignment will be posted Sept 13, and will be due Sept 20. In the Latin Activities: Week of September 8 email, it gives a website for this group, but it doesn't seem to work yet. It also states that David Meadows will be coordinating the beginners group that will go at a pace of a chapter a week, and that it will start later this month, but I haven't seen any other information about that group yet.

Just wondering if I've missed anything. I've been subscribing to the list since this original post and haven't seen anything about these classes. Have they been announced yet?

Hi, Hilary -- Howard's email to the group was dated 7 September titled "Start date Ignis Wheelock beginner's group". If you didn't get that message, you might want to check your spam filters. Are you getting any messages from the LatinStudy group?

I got the email from Howard Gilbert, but I was interested in David Meadows' chapter-a-week class, and I guess that's the one that hasn't started yet. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but my DS is doing Veritas OL Latin 1 and that seems to be doing a chapter per week, so I want to keep up with him.

Thanks for responding so quickly! Is anyone else going to be doing the chapter-a-week class as well?

I got the email from Howard Gilbert, but I was interested in David Meadows' chapter-a-week class, and I guess that's the one that hasn't started yet. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but my DS is doing Veritas OL Latin 1 and that seems to be doing a chapter per week, so I want to keep up with him.

Thanks for responding so quickly! Is anyone else going to be doing the chapter-a-week class as well?

Ah! I see. :)

I'm doing the slower class. I haven't seen any other messages from David Meadows come through, but that one is starting about the same time -- in a couple of weeks.

The nice thing about having them both going is that you can drop back to the slower group if it does seem to be too much.

Have fun!

I just wanted to bump this thread, so that anyone who wanted to join wouldn't miss it... yesterday David Meadows sent out the information for the chapter-a-week group in the email "announcing atrium latin claudius." Their first assignment is due October 4.

Also, in the link he provided for the first assignment, there are a couple of links to different games and quizzes online that use the vocabulary from each chapter of Wheelock's. I'm doing the chapter-every-two-weeks group (because I had to be honest with myself), but I played around with these links yesterday and I think they will really help me learn the vocab.