Menu

Help! Which online Latin class for DS11?

DS11 is on chapter 14 of Latin for the New Millennium (LNM) right now. He will finish the book this summer and I would like him to take an online Latin course starting in the fall.

Here are three options that I'm giving serious consideration:

1) Harvey Center Latin 2. Picks up at Chapter 16 of LNM.

2) Lukeion Latin 1. Moves fast, but maybe too much review?

3) Lukeion Latin 2. Will my son be overwhelmed?

If he chooses option 3, we will work over the summer to prepare. He has a tutor who can help him.

He has not taken the Lukeion Latin 2 placement test. Given that he is on only Chapter 14 of LNM, I have a feeling he would not do very well at the moment. Nevertheless, it might be worth doing.

Thoughts?

Lukeion Latin 2 covers the 2nd half of Wheelock's, so if you're considering Lukeion I would grab a cheap copy of Wheelock's and see how LNM 1 lines up with the first 20 chapters. 

FWIW, Lukeion moves pretty quickly and they are very strict about deadlines (weekly homework and quizzes), and for such a young student I would probably lean towards repeating Latin 1, to get used to the format and work load and make sure the foundation is rock solid. Lukeion's Latin 3 is all reading and Latin 4 is AP, so if he does Latin 2 with them in 6th, that would put him in AP Latin in 8th grade.

Is your son taking the National Latin Exam this year? If not, and if that's something you're interested in, that might be another reason for redoing Latin 1 next year, so you can start with the Level 1 NLE and be more likely to get a top score.

If you like LNM, I would stay with it.  I have used it with my children, finding it to be a good balance of grammar based instruction and reading opportunities from the outset.  My oldest didn't start with it because it was not available, but my younger two have used it from the outset and really enjoy it. 

Oldest DD is now enrolled at Lukeion in AP Latin and absolutely loves the content and really likes her teacher.  I highly recommend their program, but I cannot speak to Latin 1 through 3 there.  I am confident Amy does a superb job if you want to go that route.  I didn't want my daughter arriving at AP Latin too early, so we did it at home with Bolchazy books (in case you are wondering why we didn't use Lukeion for Latin.)  

Penguin, can you share a little about about the Harvey Center course. Is it faith based? Pace, exams, rigor? My DD takes Latin 1A with The Potter School and although it is going well it can be a bit religious for us - prayer at the commencement of every class along with religious comments at times...I'd like secular if at all possible.

drum1019, while the Harvey Center course is not strictly secular, I would say that there is less religion than you are describing.  I don't want to comment on rigor because I feel like someone will want (or make) a comparison with the rigor of Lukeion and I have no experience with Lukeion.

I do feel like my son is mastering the material in the textbook and we like Magistra Beth very much.  She is kind and super responsive to questions from either me or my son. 

There is not a lot of time spent on the culture / history / geography that is on the NLE and but that is fine by me.  We can study that easily enough on our own.

HTH

If you like LNM, I would stay with it.  I have used it with my children, finding it to be a good balance of grammar based instruction and reading opportunities from the outset.  My oldest didn't start with it because it was not available, but my younger two have used it from the outset and really enjoy it. 

Oldest DD is now enrolled at Lukeion in AP Latin and absolutely loves the content and really likes her teacher.  I highly recommend their program, but I cannot speak to Latin 1 through 3 there.  I am confident Amy does a superb job if you want to go that route.  I didn't want my daughter arriving at AP Latin too early, so we did it at home with Bolchazy books (in case you are wondering why we didn't use Lukeion for Latin.)  

Thank you for the feedback. In your opinion, would LNM 1, 2, and 3 be acceptable prep for Lukeion's AP Latin class?

My 11 yo dd is currently taking Lukeion 1b.  After completing 3 years of Latin for Children at home, the entire first year of Lukeion is technically review.  But I am glad we started at the beginning.  This is dd's first online class and they are pretty strict as far as timelines and expectations.  Starting with mostly review has been a great transition.  And I really don't think you can go wrong really solidifying those basic building blocks.  

Lukeion Latin 2 covers the 2nd half of Wheelock's, so if you're considering Lukeion I would grab a cheap copy of Wheelock's and see how LNM 1 lines up with the first 20 chapters. 

FWIW, Lukeion moves pretty quickly and they are very strict about deadlines (weekly homework and quizzes), and for such a young student I would probably lean towards repeating Latin 1, to get used to the format and work load and make sure the foundation is rock solid. Lukeion's Latin 3 is all reading and Latin 4 is AP, so if he does Latin 2 with them in 6th, that would put him in AP Latin in 8th grade.

Is your son taking the National Latin Exam this year? If not, and if that's something you're interested in, that might be another reason for redoing Latin 1 next year, so you can start with the Level 1 NLE and be more likely to get a top score.

My son who is 14 jumped into Latin 2 at Lukeion this year.  He had done Memoria Press First & Second Form Latin already and I had him take the placement test.  He did well on that and we spent some time reviewing the Wheelock's chapters covered in Latin 1 over the summer. 

The class has been excellent (he likes the online time, and the teacher -- Dr. Fisher) but he has to study!  Intensely!  And coming into Wheelock's halfway through has been quite an adjustment.  LOTS of translation.

So, like Corraleno, I would also lean towards Latin 1 for an 11yo.