Menu

Where to take the AMC 10/12

Where have your homeschooled students taken the AMC 10 or AMC 12?  I see it listed on the local high school's website, and it says it is open to any student at that school.  So, I'm not sure if that means they wouldn't allow homeschoolers or not.  I'm just curious where others have taken it.

Local state universities. Have you check this list?

http://amc-reg.maa.org/amc_external/amc_higher_education_sites.aspx?ContestType=AMC

If the universities nearest to you isn't on the list but host a math circle, just call the math circle co-ordinator and ask.

ETA:

E.g. Stanford U is hosting AMC10/12 for those who's schools aren't hosting (including homeschoolers) but they are not listed on above link.

Call and ask the high school. It can't hurt. I looked on the school website and sent an email to the head of the math department. Our local school doesn't offer it, so I was actually contacting a school in another town. They have been nothing but helpful and welcoming.

We used the contact listed for a local Uni one year. It ended up being an academic skills center that did math circle and also prepped kids for exam high schools like the local science magnet.

Interesting experience. The following years I had a dear friend proctor and offered it to my homeschool group and other area homeschoers.

We don't have any university sites or math circles here in Richmond, so I always arranged for a private proctor (a retired schoolteacher friend of mine) to supervise the testing at a local library branch. Our library was willing to provide a small testing room. We just followed the rules for homeschoolers on the AMC website, and all went well.

For AIME level & up, we did find a public school in Richmond willing to host our kids. For three or more hours of testing, I couldn't see stuffing them into that little library cell! The same schools probably would have been willing to host the kids for the 10/12 levels,too, but we liked the quiet of the library for the shorter exams.