Menu

New territory - Grad school!

Miss Marple

Seems DS#2 is intent on continuing his academic education (mechanical engineering).  He decided on a Monday late last fall that he wanted to do that, discovered he was at the cutoff point for the GREs in order to get the scores submitted on time for certain schools, couldn't find a testing site in the state with availability that week, so he drove to Dallas on Thursday to take the test on Friday.  He went in without any prep and walked out with a what we both thought was a decent score.

Thanksgiving holiday was spent firing off applications before the Dec. 3,4,5 deadlines.  Well, today he found out he was accepted in one of his top 5 choices.  He got an email asking him to visit - all expenses paid - and today he got a formal acceptance letter via snail mail.

This is such a confidence booster for him.  He picked out big names for his top 5 and I was sure he was overreaching.  He added some "safety schools" to his list, but wasn't too excited about any of them.

Anyway, I'm just so darn proud of him!  Who would have thought that a skinny,shy, home educated kid from the sticks of Oklahoma would be playing with the big boys?

He got an email asking him to visit - all expenses paid - and today he got a formal acceptance letter via snail mail.

This amazes me.  Didn't happen in my day that I know of. 

My niece (majoring in Environmental Science) was offered all expense paid visits a few years ago as well.  She's in her 2nd year at University of Arizona.

And, I'm dying to know what school accepted him.  Congratulations!

My niece (majoring in Environmental Science) was offered all expense paid visits a few years ago as well.  She's in her 2nd year at University of Arizona.

And, I'm dying to know what school accepted him.  Congratulations

Thank you!  Since he hasn't accepted or set up the visit yet, I should probably wait to say. I saw the letter and it mentioned that he has an "outstanding resume". OMG!    I always knew this one had a head for numbers/logic but he has been an "out of sync" child from day 1.  He never fit in with "normal" or "usual".  Finally it seems that all those pieces are coming together and coalescing into an exceptionally bright young man.  And it couldn't happen to a nicer kid.  Thanks for rejoicing with me :)

Congratulations to your son, Miss Marple!

He got an email asking him to visit - all expenses paid - and today he got a formal acceptance letter via snail mail.

My travel expenses to a couple of PhD Chemistry programs were totally covered when I applied to graduate school back in the 80s.  I don't think it was uncommon in the sciences.

Regards,

Kareni

My travel expenses to a couple of PhD Chemistry programs were totally covered when I applied to graduate school back in the 80s.  I don't think it was uncommon in the sciences.

I'm jealous.  No one offered me a free trip in 1987 for Industrial Engineering.  I wonder if that was because I was working and not at school.  Or my 3 year old 3.15 GPA wasn't impressive enough...