• Rod and Staff
    • Sonlight
    • Learn Language Arts Through Literature
    • Bob Jones
    • Abeka
    • Analytical Grammar or Junior
    • Latin
    • Other (please post)

We used ETC for ds last year (2nd grade)

This year we tried SL (big bust), Complete book of LA (good but not enough), FLL level 3 (my son really disliked this) So now we're going to try GWG and Writing Strands. We'll see how it goes. Oh and we are using SWO C this year and he loves it.

For my dd who's in K/1st we're using OPGTR, ETC 1 and SWO A.

My 7th grader is using Henle Latin, and Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings. She's a very solid writer and really enjoys writing, so I just regularly assign essay topics rather than follow a set composition program.

My 4th grader is primarily just using Wordsmith Apprentice. My 1st grader is using FLL and K12's advanced phonics (which is the same thing I used with my girls).

4th grader does:

Shurley English 4

Writing Strands just started book 6 today!

Spelling Workout E

Home made vocab.

Lots and lots of reading:)

Ker does:

Explode the Code 1 and 2

A Reason for Handwriting K (not sure if this counts for LA)

Reading

Preschooler does:

Go for the Code B

Reading

We've just finished the last of the ETC series of workbooks plus the primers and went through FLL last year. For learning to read, it was a combination of ETC, Dick and Jane books, Dolch sight word flashcards and lots of reading aloud with her. She also played a bit with http://www.starfall.com, but it wasn't a major component

Now we are on a combination of:

Growing with Grammar 3

Spelling Power (started today)

lots of reading

audio books

a second grade writing book

Reading Detectives reading comprehension

(the last two are done periodically as the mood strikes, as her comprehension is very good and her independent writing is really just emerging--she's 7, so the fine motor is a bit behind the comprehension and a lot of the work we do already requires writing as she adores workbooks)

Using GWG and ETC here with 2nd grader, and just finished up Go for the code today with Ker...will start ETC 1 with her once it arrives!

I was using SWO, but I'm debating continuing with it or trying something else.

Also using OPGTR and Getty-Dubay Italic handwriting.

I keep changing programs every year, it seems like, and sometimes halfway through the year. Dd 7 got halfway through FLL last year, but this month we started Growing With Grammar. I needed something she could do a little more independently and it combines needed penmanship practice without another workbook. Ds 9 also needed something he could do mostly independently and that wasn't as heavy as Rod & Staff, so we're going with LLATL Orange. He's really liking it so far. There's a lot of variety--something he really needs!

4th grade boy, a very reluctant writer who spent last year de-toxing from public school.

English for the Thoughtful Child vol.2

Writing Strands 2 - he just finished this book today and he actually loved the last assignment. For the rest of this year I am going to concentrate on enjoying writing: Just Write, Writing Games for Children by Peggy Kaye, and Editor in Chief beginning. We will start up again with Writing Strands 3 next fall.

Wordlywise

narrating books

With my 3rd grader I'm using LLATL, Minimus Latin, English from the Roots Up and Growing with Grammar. January is the start of our new school year so my LA curriculum feels really overloaded. Once we settle in to a routine I am expecting that some things will either be dropped or modified to suit.

I have used GWG with DS10 in the past, but I think he has outgrown it now. I might buy him level 6 when it comes out for some practice. Right now he is using and loving Vocabulary from Classical Roots A. For reading we are doing the recomended WTM books for 7th grade. He is keeping a reading journal and writing an essay at the end of each book for his choice of essay question (provided by me).

For ds6 I plan on ordering GWG 1/2 next week. He has been ready for it for months, but I delayed ordering so we could get into a scheduling groove with what we already have for the new year first. If he knows it is in the house he will want to do it everyday. Right now I he is playing the Jupiter Jane game on cosmeo.com a little everyday for grammar. When he is reading and needs to know what a word means he asks someone to help him look it up (he can use the dictionary by himself, but he cannot lift it alone...lol). Considering how much and how well he reads, that is enough vocabulary as far as I am concerned until he is old enough for Classical Roots.

I read the book Composition in the Classical Tradition and took tons of notes and created my own composition curriculum based on my notes. Currently, we are rewriting fables. Basically, writing precipts of them which my dd dictates to me and then I write down. Later she copies her sentences and illustrates them so she will have a nice book of her own fables when we are done.

Also, we are embarking on Latin using minimus and this I hope will really help with vocabulary. We listen to the stories and then look at the words and find similiar words in english or spanish to try to figure out the meaning of the words. I also have the TG on hand.

We use copywork to teach parts of speech and I really like KISS Grammar. It is an excellent resource for teaching grammar and what I believe is one of the best.

DD (7)

Finishing ETC bk 1 1/2 then:

Adventures in Phonics, A

K readers

DD (8)

Finishing ETC bk 7 then:

BJU grammar 3

Lots of reading (she reads several chapter books a week)

BSS bk 3

DS (9)

Finishing ETC bk 3 then:

BJU grammar 3

lots of reading practice

BSS bk 2

* Lightning Literature 7

* Latin in the Christian Trivium (yes, there is LOTS of grammar in this book)

* Daily Grams 3 x's a week (but soon will switch to AG, once I convince myself it is ok to spend $100 on it ;) )

* Home2Teach online writing course

--------------

* Growing with Grammar 4

* Writing Trails 1

* Pathway Readers workbooks

--------------

* Growing with Grammar 3

* Explode the Code

* Pathway Readers workbooks

-------------

* Growing with Grammar 1/2

* Explode the Code

For 6yo dd I use ETC,Language Lessons for Little Ones 2,FLL,and Pathway reader and she reads easy readers to me.

For 11yo it's Grammar Ace,Language Lessons for the Secondary Child,Wordly Wise,and LL7.

Both now use spelling lists from Ed-helper.6yo does spelling only because she wants to do the same thing big sis does.