Menu

Really messing up this year--maybe overthinking?! HELP? (sorry, long)

Which would you use?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which history (plus) for multiple kids 1st-7th?

• Biblioplan
    • My Father's World
    • Tapestry of Grace
    • Other--please share

So, I was using TOG for history.  It was my dream curriculum since I started homeschooling but waited until I had a D student.  Finally got to using it.  I love the idea of it, how it looks, the author's views/help, etc.  It just didn't seem to work as I'd like.  My older dd didn't really like the history reading for D.  Said it was dry.  OK, it happens.  But, I can't imagine my ds 9 ever being able to use these history books.  It felt disjointed to me--though I still dream about it working for us.  And it looks like what I'd want for high school, though it doesn't mean it is the right curriculum.

So, I quickly ditched it this month, and bought Biblioplan!  The whole year 3.  Now, that looks great to me, too.  But, I'm not liking the companion for my 4th and unders.  My dd thinks it is fine.  Easy to read, answer questions, done.  I add to it with all the suggested readings and thankfully use SOTW and AG alongside it (As scheduled).

Back in the fall I debated MFW.  I love the idea of it, the student sheets, the work for youngers and olders together.  I hesitate because my dd needs a lot for reading and MFW also does not have lit guides (which I love in TOG).  I want to take a piece of all of these and make one curriculum.  I just can't do that, since I am not about to buy all three!  

Anyways, I am almost ready to hit the buy button on MFW for Ex-1850.  But, will it be another expense that I regret?  A big one too. Plus, we are in the middle of a school year.  I will ruin the nice flow of starting fresh in the fall!!  

I could go on and type what I like and don't like with each program, but I will spare you.  I keep focusing on high school and what I want for then.  I shouldn't do that.   Does anyone actually use the same program cycle after cycle anyways?  I have 5 kids and would do the cycle more than 4 times!  I can't imagine using any of the above mentioned curriculum that many times.  

So, go back to TOG Yr2, U3/4........stick with Biblioplan (not working for younger, though they do get SOTW).......or go back to MFW Ex-1850 with some supplementing for my dd?  

Am I over-thinking?  Making it too hard?  I have a list of what I like/don't like, etc.  I know I only can make the best choice for my family.  Part of the problem is reading reviews.  MFW is not well-liked.  TOG is liked and deemed rigorous, yet does not work for many.  And I haven't seen much about Biblioplan.  

SORRY so long.  If you read all of that thank you.  I appreciate any input.  This is a yearly debate.  It is time to stop switching and just stick with something.  I know it is harder to help me without me listing all my pros/cons with each group.    

One last question, do I get what is best for my older?  Or make sure I also get what is best for youngers?  My ds with be 5th grade next year and really needs to step things up anyways.  

We like BiblioPlan and we use Story of the World and the other readers for our spine instead of the companion.  You can also use Mystery of History if that reads better for you?  The companion is really interesting but it is over my DD8's head.  I chose it because of the flexibility in readers.  We have not used much of the craft projects but we've done a few.  Instead of cool history I have used the questions that come with the SOTW activity guide.  I find that I sub and tweak a bit but it makes a nice guideline to follow while still providing opportunities for rabbit trails.  

Although...I drool over TOG and MFW all the time!  

I have used MFW with my kids for 7 years now. We are on the first year of the cycle again (ECC), the second time through. My kids are 13, 11, 9, 6 & 5. Your three oldest are the perfect ages to combine into the Bible/history/science cycle. BTW, I don't think you would go through the curriculum more than 2 1/2 times. We used it from the beginning and will use it three complete times (but each child only goes through just over one cycle before high school.) 

MFW adds Progeny Press Literature Guides for 7th and 8th graders. I used a Rod & Staff Reading Comprehension workbook for my 2nd child one year because I thought he needed a bit of practice in that area. It's easy to add things like that since you need to choose your own math and language arts. They have recommendations, but it's a separate purchase so you can choose whatever you want, whenever you want.

It's been two years, but remembering back, Ex-1850 combines narrations of history with map worksheets as well as state worksheets and summaries of each president in chronological order. There is also Bible verse copywork and dictation, science notebooking, and then whatever your language arts curriculum requires. Of course, your oldest will write more for history and science than your younger kids. While there aren't a huge amount of crafts and activities, there is enough without being overwhelming.

I'm not sure what advice to offer regarding starting a new curriculum mid-year as I've never had to do that (we've used MFW from the beginning.)  As for reviews, there's usually more people that will speak up for things they don't like rather than what they do, right?  :) You may be able to find more users who like each curriculum at the company forums. I've seen the question before regarding how many people actually stick with MFW for multiple years, and that's when users tend to speak up. I'm sure it's the same for TOG and Biblioplan and everything else also.

So, I was using TOG for history.  It was my dream curriculum since I started homeschooling but waited until I had a D student.  Finally got to using it.  I love the idea of it, how it looks, the author's views/help, etc.  It just didn't seem to work as I'd like.  My older dd didn't really like the history reading for D.  Said it was dry.  OK, it happens.  But, I can't imagine my ds 9 ever being able to use these history books.  It felt disjointed to me--though I still dream about it working for us.  And it looks like what I'd want for high school, though it doesn't mean it is the right curriculum.

So, I quickly ditched it this month, and bought Biblioplan!  The whole year 3.  Now, that looks great to me, too.  But, I'm not liking the companion for my 4th and unders.  My dd thinks it is fine.  Easy to read, answer questions, done.  I add to it with all the suggested readings and thankfully use SOTW and AG alongside it (As scheduled).  Sounds like a win-win to me. 

Back in the fall I debated MFW.  I love the idea of it, the student sheets, the work for youngers and olders together.  I hesitate because my dd needs a lot for reading and MFW also does not have lit guides (which I love in TOG).  I want to take a piece of all of these and make one curriculum.  I just can't do that, since I am not about to buy all three!  

Anyways, I am almost ready to hit the buy button on MFW for Ex-1850.  But, will it be another expense that I regret?   Yes  A big one too. Plus, we are in the middle of a school year.  I will ruin the nice flow of starting fresh in the fall!!  

I could go on and type what I like and don't like with each program, but I will spare you.  I keep focusing on high school and what I want for then.  I shouldn't do that.   Does anyone actually use the same program cycle after cycle anyways?  I have 5 kids and would do the cycle more than 4 times!  I can't imagine using any of the above mentioned curriculum that many times.  Do not worry about highschool at this point.  The only thing you should do right now to prepare for highschool is your own self ed.  And I don't mean self ed in the sense of figuring out TOG.  I mean preparing yourself to teach highschool subjects by working through algebra texts if you need to, studying foreign language if you need to, reading highschool level literature if you need to, etc.   

So, go back to TOG Yr2, U3/4........stick with Biblioplan (not working for younger, though they do get SOTW) Sounds to me like this is working for youngers.  They get SOTW - great!  What else do you want for them?.......or go back to MFW Ex-1850 with some supplementing for my dd?  If MFW would require supplementing for your dd, then why won't tweaking BP work for everyone?

Am I over-thinking?  Making it too hard? (Yes.   :D)   I have a list of what I like/don't like, etc.  I know I only can make the best choice for my family.  Part of the problem is reading reviews.  MFW is not well-liked.  TOG is liked and deemed rigorous, yet does not work for many.  And I haven't seen much about Biblioplan. I know we all like reviews and they can help us when someone tells us why something worked or didn't work for them.  But, if something works for me, I wouldn't worry if others consider it well-liked or rigorous, or whatever.    

SORRY so long.  If you read all of that thank you.  I appreciate any input.  This is a yearly debate.  It is time to stop switching and just stick with something.  I know it is harder to help me without me listing all my pros/cons with each group.    

One last question, do I get what is best for my older?  Or make sure I also get what is best for youngers?  My ds with be 5th grade next year and really needs to step things up anyways.  

I'm wondering if you're expecting your history plan to do too much for you.  Are you more worried about content or skills?  Or are you expecting it to provide resources for both?  Are you expecting it to cover lots of skills (i.e. reading, comprehension, writing, etc.)  Maybe it would be simpler to reduce your expectations, address some of these skills outside of history rather than to continue to look for different packages of similar resources. 

I hope my reply doesn't sound harsh.  I've played the whack-a-mole curriculum hopping game - there is no beating the mole.  It always pops up somewhere else.  Just when you think you've solved one problem, a new one arises.  Simpler is better, imho.  If BP is really not working (but from your post, I would say it is, or it could be), then I would drop back to SOTW with AG and add extra reading as appropriate for your older. 

Thanks for being the only one to try to help!  I'm stuck!  I love how BP ties in all the resource I love.  But, I'm needing more???  Worksheets, note booking, better crafts?  I don't know exactly what.

I couldn't get multi-quote to work, so responding again to this....

I think since you can't quite put your finger on exactly what else you need, making another change is just going to leave you dissatisfied again.  I would brainstorm what is the "more" you're looking for and why?

Well, SOTW is part of BP, so if you like that for the youngers, there is nothing wrong with that. With the companion for my littles I picked just 1-3 sections each week to read to them...they enjoyed looking at the pictures on my iPad and talking about it. I kept it short and sweet, but the Companion connected dots in history for me. I liked that.

If BP with SOTW is working, great! BP has coloring pages and craft books too. We loved those.

What about just adding the activity guide for SOTW?

I'm with AnotherLynn. The grass isn't really greener in MFW's yard. You have some great resources on your shelf. If using them exactly as written isn't working, start making them work for you instead.

Don't homeschool this year like you want to do for high school. Do what's best for the kids that are right in front of you today. :) They will be different kids with different needs by the time they get to high school, and they'll keep changing every year. O_o

So, I quickly ditched it this month, and bought Biblioplan!  The whole year 3.  Now, that looks great to me, too.  But, I'm not liking the companion for my 4th and unders.  My dd thinks it is fine.  Easy to read, answer questions, done.  I add to it with all the suggested readings and thankfully use SOTW and AG alongside it (As scheduled).

Anyways, I am almost ready to hit the buy button on MFW for Ex-1850.  But, will it be another expense that I regret?  A big one too. Plus, we are in the middle of a school year.  I will ruin the nice flow of starting fresh in the fall!!  

I could go on and type what I like and don't like with each program, but I will spare you.  I keep focusing on high school and what I want for then.  I shouldn't do that.   Does anyone actually use the same program cycle after cycle anyways?  I have 5 kids and would do the cycle more than 4 times!  I can't imagine using any of the above mentioned curriculum that many times.  

So, go back to TOG Yr2, U3/4........stick with Biblioplan (not working for younger, though they do get SOTW).......or go back to MFW Ex-1850 with some supplementing for my dd?  

Am I over-thinking?  Making it too hard?  I have a list of what I like/don't like, etc.  I know I only can make the best choice for my family.  Part of the problem is reading reviews.  MFW is not well-liked.  TOG is liked and deemed rigorous, yet does not work for many.  And I haven't seen much about Biblioplan.  

I love the IDEA of it all.  About 5 years ago I fell in love with Tapestry.  Used it for a couple of years and I think it's a great program.  I'd recommend it to anyone for a rigorous program.  Problem?  Not all my kids are rigorous learners and I think it worked great for 1-2 kids but it wasn't my "buy it once, use it forever for all the kids program."  I also didn't want to use it as written - they liken it to a smorgasboard.  Well, that's wonderful except two things happened to me - *I* had to sort through what to use and what not to use each week resulting in work for me AND guilt for me.  Added work and guilt were not bonus features.  This is  not an issue if you don't overthink, have any anxiety, or generally feel like you will shortchange your child's education if you skip.  :P ;)

My Father's World - another GREAT program.  I like their high school.    Younger than that feels - fiddly.  :P

So, obviously I have like a million children, and all the ages you do, roughly.   I am loving this year.  Maybe some day I will go back to beautiful schooling. 

I'm in git 'er done mode.  I walked away from the popular.  I picked spines and workbooks that I knew I could pick up each day and say, with ZERO effort and thought, "Oh, we did Lesson 27 today.  Guess it's Lesson 28 today."  That's my season.  I fill in with read alouds, assign classical literature, and play awesome board games.  My passion for parenting does not have to extend to school.  I am guilt free.   Nothing is tied to anything else so if I don't get geography done today there is no serious harm done by moving on in history.  (I know you can choose not to do things in the other plans, but flipping that page and skipping something one day made me feel like blowing the same subject off the next because I felt behind.  Guilt.  Anxiety.  My goal is to avoid it all.)

So that's it.

More school getting done than every before except maybe my oldest's first four years when I was picking and choosing separate subjects a al Well Trained Mind.  Go figure - more kids, more school, more getting done.  I'm choosing based on independence, individual strengths & weaknesses, and ease of picking it up and getting it done.  It's working for me.

Thanks for being the only one to try to help!  I'm stuck!  I love how BP ties in all the resource I love.  But, I'm needing more???  Worksheets, note booking, better crafts?  I don't know exactly what.

Have you seen the brand new notebooking pages? They just came out. 

First of all...RELAX!

I'm a TOG user.  It took us forever to figure out which history program fit best.  We went through textbooks, MOH, History Revealed by Diana Waring, etc.  TOG was the program that fit for us because DD prefers "living books" to textbooks.  She doesn't find it disjointed in the least.  That's just how she's wired.  It also fit because I am a constant tweaker, and TOG is perfect for perpetual tweakers.  However, as a perpetual tweaker, I'm always looking at other programs and wondering how they would work for us.  I have to constantly remind myself that we already have something that works and that DD really enjoys so I need to restrain myself.  This is her education.  Once I find something that works and DD really likes, I need to stick with it as long as it meets our educational standards regardless of other things "I" might like.

It sounds like you currently have three complete programs: TOG, BP, and SOTW.  I would definitely not purchase a 4th. I agree with what others have advised. Since you know that BP works for DD, I would stick with that.  BP uses SOTW as one of their spines.  By sticking with BP for your DD, you can just continue using SOTW for the younger kids as scheduled in BP, add in the AG for them, pick some additional reading books from BP's suggestions, and call it good.  No sense reinventing the wheel is you already have something that is working.

Just my two cents...

Thanks for being the only one to try to help! I'm stuck! I love how BP ties in all the resource I love. But, I'm needing more??? Worksheets, note booking, better crafts? I don't know exactly what.

Do you use all the BP extras? Maps, cool histories, coloring pages, craft book? I think they have notebooking now as well? They have tons of resources....

I love the IDEA of it all.  About 5 years ago I fell in love with Tapestry.  Used it for a couple of years and I think it's a great program.  I'd recommend it to anyone for a rigorous program.  Problem?  Not all my kids are rigorous learners and I think it worked great for 1-2 kids but it wasn't my "buy it once, use it forever for all the kids program."  I also didn't want to use it as written - they liken it to a smorgasboard.  Well, that's wonderful except two things happened to me - *I* had to sort through what to use and what not to use each week resulting in work for me AND guilt for me.  Added work and guilt were not bonus features.  This is  not an issue if you don't overthink, have any anxiety, or generally feel like you will shortchange your child's education if you skip.  :p ;)

My Father's World - another GREAT program.  I like their high school.    Younger than that feels - fiddly.  :p

So, obviously I have like a million children, and all the ages you do, roughly.   I am loving this year.  Maybe some day I will go back to beautiful schooling. 

I'm in git 'er done mode.  I walked away from the popular.  I picked spines and workbooks that I knew I could pick up each day and say, with ZERO effort and thought, "Oh, we did Lesson 27 today.  Guess it's Lesson 28 today."  That's my season.  I fill in with read alouds, assign classical literature, and play awesome board games.  My passion for parenting does not have to extend to school.  I am guilt free.   Nothing is tied to anything else so if I don't get geography done today there is no serious harm done by moving on in history.  (I know you can choose not to do things in the other plans, but flipping that page and skipping something one day made me feel like blowing the same subject off the next because I felt behind.  Guilt.  Anxiety.  My goal is to avoid it all.)

So that's it.

More school getting done than every before except maybe my oldest's first four years when I was picking and choosing separate subjects a al Well Trained Mind.  Go figure - more kids, more school, more getting done.  I'm choosing based on independence, individual strengths & weaknesses, and ease of picking it up and getting it done.  It's working for me.

Yes!  The beauty in this is that it gives you more time for the best part, imho, the read alouds, the classic literature, etc., and if you still have time left over, add in nature study, classical music, art appreciation, etc.

I love the IDEA of it all.  About 5 years ago I fell in love with Tapestry.  Used it for a couple of years and I think it's a great program.  I'd recommend it to anyone for a rigorous program.  Problem?  Not all my kids are rigorous learners and I think it worked great for 1-2 kids but it wasn't my "buy it once, use it forever for all the kids program."  I also didn't want to use it as written - they liken it to a smorgasboard.  Well, that's wonderful except two things happened to me - *I* had to sort through what to use and what not to use each week resulting in work for me AND guilt for me.  Added work and guilt were not bonus features.  This is  not an issue if you don't overthink, have any anxiety, or generally feel like you will shortchange your child's education if you skip.  :p ;)

My Father's World - another GREAT program.  I like their high school.    Younger than that feels - fiddly.  :p

So that's it.

Thanks for your help.  What are you using that works for you?  

I appreciate the insights.  To answer some questions...  I use Bps Cool History questions for my 11yo.  Too much for my ds9, I think.  Maybe I should have him try.  I don't like the coloring pages, so I didn't buy them.  I did make some copies of SOTW AG coloring pages that match up.  Coloring pages are necessary to get my kids to sit and listen quietly.  There is not always one for them to color though.  I have BP maps.  They are okay.  I guess looking at BP I can't say why I don't like it.  But, when I go to teach a history lesson, my youngers do not have any interest in what I am reading from the Companion.  They love SOTW audio.  We've always used that.

MFW appeals to me because of the assigned notebook page, assigned by week.  The easy crafts assigned.  Science worksheets included and scheduled.  I don't know if I would feel disjointed there, too, though.  Read a little here, little there, etc.  I think SOTW is used weekly.  I like that it is more hands-on??  State sheets and president sheets, etc.

BP does have that, sort of.  The notebooking pages are not what I was looking for.  I guess I feel if I'm using BP then I need to fully use it and not just primarily use SOTW.  My dd does need more so I guess that is a way to do it.  I did like MOH but didn't like one author's perspective.  I wanted to tie in other things--more living books, etc.  I wanted to somehow use SOTW and MOH but didn't want to try to line them up!  But, then it seems like after year 3 (for MOH) the information got crammed into year 4 when originally it was going to be 2 more books?  I'm not sure if that means some info is missing or what.

What do I want-- I want to sit down knowing what topic I am covering.  Then read about it to the kids.  Read some fun living books that go along with it.  Do map work.  Do coloring pages.  Do note booking pages.  Have them answer questions about the reading.  I know SOTW is that.  But, not enough for my oldest.  So I don't know what to do for her.  I am not sure I like the Companion.  I don't why.  

I want TOG to work.  I keep looking at it.  Maybe if I avoid some of the D books that I find dry or uninteresting.  Or maybe if I type up the questions on a paper for my dd so she can answer as a worksheet?  Both BP and TOG offer independent reading for my oldest, who can handle it.

I just can't figure out how to do TOG with my younger kids.  I read what the overview is for the week but then we read a couple pages out of a LG book and I wonder where they are suppose to be getting all this info from.  Maybe I will step it up and read the UG books to them.  Story of US Hakim is used soon in YR2U3.  They might like that.  I look back over the last 2 units and realize I don't think they retained much.  How to I help with retention?

Here I am long-winded again.  I guess it helps to think about things by writing it out.  With TOG I had to try to find note booking sheets, planned a lot for each week and then felt like there wasn't much there.  I also lacked the discussion time for D which is a main part of the program.  I thought if I did MFW now, scheduled and more hands-on, I could return to TOG in high school for dd.  Though, MFW high school looks good, too.  I don't see ds 9 thriving with a program like TOG.  He is not going to be a history buff or big into lit. unless something drastically changes by then.  

Well, hope some of this makes sense.  It is noisy here and I'm suppose to be doing school!  :)

I don't have time to read all of the responses, so some quick thoughts. 

If you have specific expectations of your history program, you probably need to stop curriculum hopping, settle on the one that is most doable and working best at the moment, then add in or adjust the things that you'd like to be a bit different.  I think if you switch again you're going to run into the same kind of problems - some aspects work well for some of the kids, some don't.  I'm speaking from experience, lest you think I've used one history program for years!  We'll just leave it at that!

So Biblioplan.  I think it is excellent if you have kids at different levels and don't want to do a lot of prep work ala TOG.  If the companion is working for your older students, that's good.  What do you want that is different for your younger kids?  If you want question/answer, get the cool history for youngers and just read the specific parts of the companion that apply.  If you want to do notebooking, it's pretty easy to find notebooking pages to print out (currclick, for example).  MFW's notebooking pages are generally just a page with a picture and lines to write on.  Nothing fancy, except for the state pages, but that is for Adventures and not the same history time period that you're looking for.  If you want more crafts, pick up a craft book specific to the time period. 

Generally for history, It's pretty easy to add in additional things, like extra books, coloring pages, maps, notebooking pages.  It's not easy to change the core structure of a curriculum.  So go with the basic structure that works the best for you, then add in the extras that you need to make it work best for your family.  And don't try to make a decision now for the rest of the years.  Just make a decision for right now, this year, then re-evaluate before your next school year.

Okay, well, maybe I will try to make BP work.  It has at least enough listed for me to read whatever resources I like.  The downfall is if I want to use the extras, I need to use the Companion.  I wish it was an affordable book!  I have the pdf but not my preference.  At least not for a main spine.  Why is it so expensive?  MOH and SOTW are cheap comparably!  I don't use the K-2 extras because it looks like just questions about the Companion reading (which is too much for them) and I already have the SOTW AG with the questions for what they listened to that day.  

Thanks for all the help.  I have to make something work!  I will rethink things this summer and then make a decision.  Boy, I really wanted TOG to work.  

I can only help with the last question, and tell you what my dh told me.

Focus on the younger ones, they need to learn to read and have a positive school experience. They just cannot be expected to be independent, they need the foundation. The olders can already read so if you need to let some slack out, let them just read!

I was stuck in the mode of focussing on my olders and running out of time for my eager k'er...

May I recommend you read this excellent post about 'doing history'? It really encouraged me to get into it again after a bit of a hiatus. My key take home point was that actually doing history is the important thing:

However, hindsight being what it is, I can see that all the debates about minor errors in texts, the merits of historical fiction, the need for social history, various religious biases, and many other issues now seem so minor. In the end, the most important thing was that we just did something.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to encourage you to try not to agonize about it too much.