Menu

Endometrial Ablation

jenn-

Any BTDT experiences?  What can I expect for pain levels?  Will I really be able to be back to full force in a couple of days?  Did it help with your (or whoever you might have the story for) heavy cycles?  Did it eliminate them completely?  Right now the decision is between this or partial hysterectomy, and I just can't be down for 4-6wks right now, or doing nothing.

I had one about four years ago. Hard to say exactly what the recovery was like because I had a second unrelated surgery on the same day on a totally different part of my body (great way to save on OR costs). I don't remember much pain or discomfort from the ablation. I recall it being similar to recovery from several D&C's that I have needed through the years.

Periods-I still have them for about a day and half and they are light enough that I can get by with a panty liner. My periods only lasted about three days before the surgery though so I don't know if that has anything to do with how light they are now.

I developed andometreosis after the ablation and am right back in need of a hysterectomy. The andometreosis is more painful than endometreosis and if I remember correctly is a common complication from ablations.

Good luck.

I had an ablation a few years ago- there was absolutely no pain at all after. I had more pain from the iv then the procedure. There was some bloating and fullness, but truly, no pain. And yes, it did totally stop the ridiculous amount of bleeding I had been dealing with and my period even went away for 5 months or so. Then it came back, but it's a normal 6 day, lighter amount period. 

A thought, maybe meclofenamate will help until you can be down for surgery if that's the better option?  I was considering an ablation before I started taking it for the first three days of my cycle.  Best of luck with surgery!

Is that just an antiflammatory for pain or does it help bleeding as well?  I don't have pain issues, just super heavy.  Looks like I just have to make it through one more cycle before I will have the procedure, so I'll live until then and cross my fingers and hope for the best.  My taekwondo testing is looking pretty iffie this testing cycle with the surgery only 10 days before it. 

Is that just an antiflammatory for pain or does it help bleeding as well?  I don't have pain issues, just super heavy.  Looks like I just have to make it through one more cycle before I will have the procedure, so I'll live until then and cross my fingers and hope for the best.  My taekwondo testing is looking pretty iffie this testing cycle with the surgery only 10 days before it. 

I had mega periods, to the point I have no iron reserves to speak of and my old OB and I were discussing ablation.  Then my OB retired.  Now I take 100mg of meclofenamate three times a day from the earliest signs of my period and I have almost no period what so ever.  I used to use OB Ultra, the heaviest they make, and backed up with pads for seven days; now use OB regular, the lightest they make, and by the fourth day just pantiliners.  I take it for three days then go back off it.

I understand that not everyone gets the same results but for me it's been amazing.  It's sad that it's scary writing this, almost like it'll take the magic away or something.  :lol:

Thanks for the replies.  Do any of you know if there was a certain part of your cycle you had to be in?  I think I just realized they scheduled me for what will probably be the last day or two of that cycle.  I'm guessing any preop u/s would have to be internals, which could also prove problematic if I stay on my current schedule.

I had mega periods, to the point I have no iron reserves to speak of and my old OB and I were discussing ablation.  Then my OB retired.  Now I take 100mg of meclofenamate three times a day from the earliest signs of my period and I have almost no period what so ever.  I used to use OB Ultra, the heaviest they make, and backed up with pads for seven days; now use OB regular, the lightest they make, and by the fourth day just pantiliners.  I take it for three days then go back off it.

I understand that not everyone gets the same results but for me it's been amazing.  It's sad that it's scary writing this, almost like it'll take the magic away or something.  :lol:

Can you explain more about the meclofenamate?  Is it prescribed by your doctor?  Over the counter?  

My doctor is recommending an ablation for super-heavy bleeding but the cost will be around $3,500 out of pocket thanks to my high deductible insurance.  Can't really swing that right now when there are no other issues except the bleeding, and while that is seriously annoying, it's not impacting my life that strongly.  I'm able to go to work and continue most activities.

I'm having similar problems as most of you, and it's reassuring to know I'm not alone. I really want to avoid surgery/ablation because the whole idea of it freaks me out. My dr. Tells me the heavy bleeding and numerous clots aren't normal but I hear about it from many many wonen IRL and online. I'm going to ask about that drug.

This is good to know.  My OB offered this to me, or an IUD, or an ablation.  the ablation seemed the easiest, but I hate hearing that periods come back.  Blech.  I am on an iron supplement now that I'd like to get off of.

Can you explain more about the meclofenamate?  Is it prescribed by your doctor?  Over the counter?  

My doctor is recommending an ablation for super-heavy bleeding but the cost will be around $3,500 out of pocket thanks to my high deductible insurance.  Can't really swing that right now when there are no other issues except the bleeding, and while that is seriously annoying, it's not impacting my life that strongly.  I'm able to go to work and continue most activities.

It's a prescription given to me by my OB.  It's generic.  I have to run but can answer any specific questions later or by PM.

This is good to know.  My OB offered this to me, or an IUD, or an ablation.  the ablation seemed the easiest, but I hate hearing that periods come back.  Blech.  I am on an iron supplement now that I'd like to get off of.

Almost three years post-ablation, my periods have not come back.

Everyone is different.  Do the research and look at the percentages of people who never have another period, those who have a lighter one and those who notice no improvement and decide if you are willing to go with those odds, in addition to speaking to your doctor about your individual medical situation, which impacts the efficacy of the treatment.

Thanks for the replies.  Do any of you know if there was a certain part of your cycle you had to be in?  I think I just realized they scheduled me for what will probably be the last day or two of that cycle.  I'm guessing any preop u/s would have to be internals, which could also prove problematic if I stay on my current schedule.

I had two vaginal sonograms and an endometrial biopsy to rule out cancer, which is a pretty typical protocol.  The first sonogram revealed a polyp, which was successfully treated with progesterone (though it made me not sleep and made me crazy), and when it was gone the bleeding continued just as heavy so we decided to proceed with the ablation.  My doc said I was a good candidate due to having no fibroids and not having had a tubal ligation.  Having a previous tubal ligation is problematic for some people so my doctor will no longer to ablations on ladies with tubals.  Re: the actual procedure, I don't think it would likely matter where you were in your cycle during the procedure, but I really don't know for sure.  You will be required to take a pregnancy test in office prior to the ablation.  It was a simple pee in the cup for me.

I thought that my cost would be out of pocket but the procedure was done in office so it was a copay only. This is something to clarify. Not everyone is eligible for in office procedures but I was.

I don't mean to criticize your choice - and cost is certainly a factor - but I would not have consented to this as an office procedure. It was a true surgical procedure, IMO, though I went to a small women's hospital for it.

Now I am curious about others' experience - office or surgery center?

I don't mean to criticize your choice - and cost is certainly a factor - but I would not have consented to this as an office procedure. It was a true surgical procedure, IMO, though I went to a small women's hospital for it.

Well, my doctor's office is in the same building as a large hospital so perhaps this was a factor. 

An anesthesiologist was brought in to a dedicated surgical room in the doctor's practice, and there was a dedicated nurse to that room during surgery.  It didn't really concern me, but I understand how it might concern others.

My doctor explained that the procedure done using heat is done by surgery, and the one done by freezing is done in the office. 

My doctor explained that the procedure done using heat is done by surgery, and the one done by freezing is done in the office.

I had the Novasure, the heated one, so that makes sense.

I do have a history of being a light touch with anesthesia; seems like it takes longer than the average for my blood pressure to rebound. Perhaps that's a reason I feel more comfortable in a more hospital setting.

My periods continued. However, they were back to normal. I could actually leave the house again! My iron counts have leveled off without supplementation (though the docs indicate I will probably remain on the lower side of ideal due to a low iron binding capacity or some such thing).

My procedure was 5 years ago, and I am 51. My cycles are getting closer together and a bit heavier again. I am ready to trade in the whole uterus now but don't want to give up the ovaries/hormone factory. I'll see my GYN in April and see what she thinks. I do think I need to start adding a little iron, but for now a good multivitamin should have enough.

Despite not having a period free picture perfect outcome, I am very happy with the time the ablation procedure bought me. The recovery was fairly easy, though it did take me a couple of days to a week to feel my energy at full strength. Within a few months I felt really good as my iron values began to rise.

I was not offered a pharmaceutical remedy at the time, so I have no thoughts to share about that.

I had two vaginal sonograms and an endometrial biopsy to rule out cancer, which is a pretty typical protocol.  The first sonogram revealed a polyp, which was successfully treated with progesterone (though it made me not sleep and made me crazy), and when it was gone the bleeding continued just as heavy so we decided to proceed with the ablation.  My doc said I was a good candidate due to having no fibroids and not having had a tubal ligation.  Having a previous tubal ligation is problematic for some people so my doctor will no longer to ablations on ladies with tubals.  Re: the actual procedure, I don't think it would likely matter where you were in your cycle during the procedure, but I really don't know for sure.  You will be required to take a pregnancy test in office prior to the ablation.  It was a simple pee in the cup for me.

I tried Googling but couldn't find anything about the tubal being a problem with an ablation.  Do you know what kind of problems?  I had a tubal 7 years ago and my doctor is recommending a ablation.  If we manage to use up our high deductible during the course of the year, we were thinking I might get it done.  But this sounds like there could be a problem.

ETA:  Nevermind, I found it.  Post ablation tubal sterilization syndrome.  Sounds like fun.

I googled this:  "post ablation tubal sterilization syndrome" and got multiple hits so try those terms.  That way you can pick and choose what articles/stories to read.  I don't know how common it is, but it is something that folks should take into consideration as part of the decision process.

ETA:  Just saw your ETA.

I'm having similar problems as most of you, and it's reassuring to know I'm not alone. I really want to avoid surgery/ablation because the whole idea of it freaks me out. My dr. Tells me the heavy bleeding and numerous clots aren't normal but I hear about it from many many wonen IRL and online. I'm going to ask about that drug.

Could you have fiberoids? Those can cause heavy bleeding & clots.... If so, sometimes a prescription for transexemic acid (pills) will help too.