Menu

If retail employees are wearing religious messages

BrookValley.

To answer the specific question I would need more information. Honestly, if I saw a single employee of a small family-type business wearing a potentially offensive shirt and *the owner was not present*, I would assume that the owner was unaware of the employee's clothing choice and might contact the owner to let them know. If the owner were present, or if there were reinforcing evidence like posters, signs, multiple employees with similar messages etc. I would assume that the business owner was comfortable offending the customers, whether they agreed with the sentiments or not, and would be hesitant to shop there. I am excluding certain types of businesses here, purely on my own whim. Openly religious, political, or artistic types of places tend to get a pass from me because I know what to expect when I go in (or choose not to).

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Message is not heinous or horribly offensive. Message is divisive--I would suggest the tone is unwelcoming to *some.* like I said, divisive. It can, and has, provoked customer comment. With that, remember that this is a business and this is an employee, not someone you saw walking down the street, and this business serves a diverse clientele politically, religiously, racially, socio-economically, etc.

But again, not asking if a religiously divisive shirt would drive you away from the business, but how a potentially unwelcoming message might reflect back on the business/owner/management as a whole (thus, yes, potentially creating an atmosphere unwelcoming to a certain number of your customer base).

It reflects poorly on the owner if they've received comments and not rectified the situation. I wouldn't shop there.

But again, not asking if a religiously divisive shirt would drive you away from the business, but how a potentially unwelcoming message might reflect back on the business/owner/management as a whole (thus, yes, potentially creating an atmosphere unwelcoming to a certain number of your customer base).

It seems simple enough and pretty standard procedure to exclude message T-shirts from the dress code or to direct employees to refrain from wearing T-shirts that are rude, inflammatory, exclusive, or otherwise might reflect poorly on the company. As this thread demonstrates, a message shirt would affect how some people view the company as a whole, and others would think it only reflected the wearer's views.

Most of the time you won't know unless you research if. But if someone is wearing an obnoxious t-shirt - maybe that says something like 'relationships are for an apple and a banana, not two bananas!' and if I found out they were wearing it at work with the owner's approval, I'd just rather not spend money there. No biggie. Just go to a different store.

Well, I personally, would not wear this t-shirt.  However, I do believe that marriage is between one man and one woman.  This is the belief of the majority of Christians.  So, are you saying you do not want to shop at any stores where the person holds this belief?  Sounds like you are intolerant of Christianity?  How far would you go?  Avoid all stores where the owner holds this belief?  Avoid all people who believe that?

It sounds like he was pretty libertarian about what he allowed you to wear.

No, I don't think so. We had a dress code imposed from above. It was just fairly liberal in what it allowed. No rips or stains, no undies showing, no open-toed shoes. What was on our unripped and unstained t-shirts wasn't so much a concern to him.

So, are you saying you do not want to shop at any stores where the person holds this belief?  Sounds like you are intolerant of Christianity?  

It is not intolerant not to want your money to support beliefs that you find intolerant. I would never shop at Chick-fil-a, for example (even if I weren't vegan). That doesn't mean I am intolerant of Christians. It means I don't support working against marriage equality.

It is not intolerant not to want your money to support beliefs that you find intolerant. I would never shop at Chick-fil-a, for example (even if I weren't vegan). That doesn't mean I am intolerant of Christians. It means I don't support working against marriage equality.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... would it be similar if I were to avoid businesses run by a different religion because I didn't like one of their beliefs?  I just can't imagine caring about someones religious beliefs to avoid shopping at a fast food restaurant.  

Oh, and doesn't that mean you have to avoid pretty much any business run by a Christian?

ETA:  tone is not snarky.

Oh, and doesn't that mean you have to avoid pretty much any business run by a Christian?

No, because most companies run by Christians don't pour tons of money into anti-marriage campaigns and publicize it. If a store owner is personally against marriage equality, that's unfortunate, but oh well. It's different if they actively, loudly work against it.

There are things that I don't personally approve of that I also don't try to make illegal for other people.

I stopped shopping at Home Depot after the owner loudly and obnoxiously claimed that he and other rich people would stop donating to charity if the Pope kept speaking about the dangers of capitalism. Ok, dude can believe whatever he wants, but I don't have to give him my money to support his ideas.

Well, I personally, would not wear this t-shirt.  However, I do believe that marriage is between one man and one woman.  This is the belief of the majority of Christians.  So, are you saying you do not want to shop at any stores where the person holds this belief?  Sounds like you are intolerant of Christianity?  How far would you go?  Avoid all stores where the owner holds this belief?  Avoid all people who believe that?

Can we NOT do this? I'm not even a Christian anymore, so I really don't care so much. But can we not 1) assume the majority of Christians believe homosexuality is a sin and 2) assume that non Christians are "intolerant of Christianity"?

No, because most companies run by Christians don't pour tons of money into anti-marriage campaigns and publicize it. If a store owner is personally against marriage equality, that's unfortunate, but oh well. It's different if they actively, loudly work against it.

There are things that I don't personally approve of that I also don't try to make illegal for other people.

What if the business owner is less vocal, but is still doing as you say... "working against marriage equality" (when really, they are working against anything contradictory to God's Law, but I digress).  Say they are actively voting against it, signing petitions, etc.  Less vocal, but still the same thing.  Would you avoid their businesses?  

Can we NOT do this? I'm not even a Christian anymore, so I really don't care so much. But can we not 1) assume the majority of Christians believe homosexuality is a sin and 2) assume that non Christians are "intolerant of Christianity"?

I'm genuinely interested in this.  Can I have the freedom to discuss something that I am interested in without people who don't like the topic trying to bring it to a quick close?

ETA:  I think if we did a poll of the Christians in our country, we would find that most hold that view, by the way.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... would it be similar if I were to avoid businesses run by a different religion because I didn't like one of their beliefs?  I just can't imagine caring about someones religious beliefs to avoid shopping at a fast food restaurant.  

No, it would be different. I don't know the religious beliefs of the proprietors of the vast majority of places I shop. I don't really care what they are unless they actively try to suppress other people's rights or incite hate. Then I care. 

I believe that religion is private and doesn't belong in the public sector in terms of trying to dictate how others live. I don't want to be forced to live under other people's religious strictures any more than they want to be forced to live under mine, and I won't give my money to help someone try to force their religion on others in a public way.

Do you mean cofounder or CEO? The majority of HD is owned by institutional shareholders.

Do you also look at boards these people sit on and boycott those companies too?

I dont shop at walmart. When the waltons stop subsidizing their business with state run and funded healthcare for their employees, I will consider returning.

I wish I could afford to stop shopping at WalMart for this reason. Financially, I probably could, now. Finally.

Time wise, I can not.

Mad respect for your decision.

No, it would be different. I don't know the religious beliefs of the proprietors of the vast majority of places I shop. I don't really care what they are unless they actively try to suppress other people's rights or incite hate. Then I care. 

I believe that religion is private and doesn't belong in the public sector in terms of trying to dictate how others live. I don't want to be forced to live under other people's religious strictures any more than they want to be forced to live under mine, and I won't give my money to help someone try to force their religion on others in a public way.

There is a big difference in a person who does not believe in same-sex marriage and someone who incites hate.

I'm genuinely interested in this.  Can I have the freedom to discuss something that I am interested in without people who don't like the topic trying to bring it to a quick close?

ETA:  I think if we did a poll of the Christians in our country, we would find that most hold that view, by the way.

I'm not talking about closing down the topic.

I'm responding to your words (and assumptions) regarding the topic.

I'm not talking about closing down the topic.

I'm responding to your words (and assumptions) regarding the topic.

Okay, so you don't like what I said.  You have made that clear.  I stand by what I said and I genuinely curious about what was stated earlier in the thread.

Do you mean cofounder or CEO? The majority of HD is owned by institutional shareholders.

Do you also look at boards these people sit on and boycott those companies too?

I dont shop at walmart. When the waltons stop subsidizing their business with state run and funded healthcare for their employees, I will consider returning.

I mean Ken Langone. Apparently he is no longer connected with the company. My bad. I will reconsider my stance on Home Depot.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, either, because they are evil. ;)

Okay, so you don't like what I said.  You have made that clear.  I stand by what I said and I genuinely curious about what was stated earlier in the thread.

It's not simply that I "dislike" it. It is that you made a statement of fact (sic) that is not. You presented Christianity as having basically one view (as it happens, yours) on the topic of homosexuality.

And you assumed that a person who doesn't want to "see" or be exposed to divisive, religious messages in a public business is "intolerant of Christianity."

What if the business owner is less vocal, but is still doing as you say... "working against marriage equality" (when really, they are working against anything contradictory to God's Law, but I digress).  Say they are actively voting against it, signing petitions, etc.  Less vocal, but still the same thing.  Would you avoid their businesses?  

It would probably depend on the issue and how strongly I felt about it. Mostly, I feel that people have a right to free speech so what they do in their own time is not a huge concern to me. But when they start involving their companies in it, it becomes a public issue, and then I care much more about it.

Many marriage equality supporters see it all on the continuum of hate.

Many sexual minorities **experience** it as hate.

Of course they do.  

I have never treated a homosexuality with hate.  Ever.  This is true for the majority of Christians who do not support same sex marriage.

I have to run.

It's not simply that I "dislike" it. It is that you made a statement of fact (sic) that is not. You presented Christianity as having basically one view (as it happens, yours) on the topic of homosexuality.

And you assumed that a person who doesn't want to "see" or be exposed to divisive, religious messages in a public business is "intolerant of Christianity."

I would like to reply to this, but I really have to run.  As quickly as I can... if you got the percentage of Christians in the country that believe marriage is for one man and one woman and compared it to those who don't, the majority would be on the first side.

I do feel it's intolerance for a person to boycott a business based off of religious beliefs.  

I do feel it's intolerance for a person to boycott a business based off of religious beliefs.  

Do you see a difference between a person holding private religious beliefs and a person using their company to inject those religious beliefs into the public sector?

Many marriage equality supporters see it all on the continuum of hate.

Disagreement =/= hate.

If people "see it" as hate, they are wrong and should not be encouraged in that belief.

The word "hate" has no meaning at all if it can be invoked every time groups disagree.

Since it was my phrasing that started the hate discussion, I want to clarify that I don't automatically see it as hate if someone disagrees with marriage equality. I do see it as hateful when people, in the course of their publicizing their disagreement, demonize gay people, and that happens frequently.

I would like to reply to this, but I really have to run.  As quickly as I can... if you got the percentage of Christians in the country that believe marriage is for one man and one woman and compared it to those who don't, the majority would be on the first side.

Wow. We must define "intolerance" differently.

I know if I boycotted every business that doesn't uphold the beliefs that I do, I'd probably have no where left to shop.  As a Christian I don't avoid certain stores unless they are blatantly adamant about being anti-Christian.

No one in this thread is talking about boycotting based on opinion or belief. They are talking "boycott" when the business owners actively working towards or against issues that the patron has the opposing view.

I eat at ethnic restaurants that are owned by people who assuredly hold views that I don't agree with.  Some of which I find repugnant.  But unless I know that the owner has personally done harm - and how would I know that - I will keep eating at those restaurants as long as the food is good.

Everyone has a past.  Do you investigate the personal background and belief system of every business owner before shopping at their store?  That would take a long time if you're going to be fair and balanced about it.  Chances are, the business owner where everyone wears highly professional, inoffensive uniforms has done more harm in his personal life than the owner who lets people express their religious views.

It's not really about the shirt, or even religion. It's about broadcasting personal and potentially controversial messages while in the clock in a private business that serves a diverse customer base. It's a privacy issue because it is important I respect all persons involved, not because of the message itself.

More...clarifying? (Maybe I'm convoluting it more. I don't know):

Message is not heinous or horribly offensive. Message is divisive--I would suggest the tone is unwelcoming to *some.* like I said, divisive. It can, and has, provoked customer comment. With that, remember that this is a business and this is an employee, not someone you saw walking down the street, and this business serves a diverse clientele politically, religiously, racially, socio-economically, etc.

It would reflect poorly. I would see it as unprofessional. If it was politically controversial or divisive I wouldn't find it appropriate at a workplace at all, if I was shopping at Mardel's (a Christian bookstore chain) and someone was wearing a shirt that was divisive I would still find it inappropriate.

I don't find it appropriate to wear inflammatory messages at work and I am fairly likely to say something to a manager.

I don't care if they are a religious business or wear religious messages, I do care if they are rude.

And my original question wasn't about boycotting, anyway, though I suppose that is a logical tangent.

I've received a diverse set of answers to my original question, though, which I expected and is why I asked here (knowing we're a pretty diverse group). So it seems some would hardly notice a religious message, some would but it wouldn't really register much on their radar, some might raise an eyebrow but assume it was the individual's belief and not a reflection on the shop, and some would assume the shop supported the message and/or actively agreed. And a few thoughts between. :)  A wide range, as one might guess. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

At the risk of now derailing my own thread:

How the heck is it "intolerant of Christianity" to avoid someplace where you or your family feel unwelcome? If I went into a business and it was openly advertised that they were anti-marriage equality, I would feel unwelcome in that establishment and no, I would not go back. They wouldn't want me there, so why would I? So how is that *me* being intolerant? I don't disagree that they have every right to have that belief. I don't want to tell them they can't have that belief or prevent them from advertising it in any way. I am not, however, going to subject myself to it.

If I were in charge of people coming to work, I might initially have a guideline that employees could choose their own shirts but not wear offensive messages or designs.  I'd include that defining offensive would be up to the on-duty supervisor.

And then somebody with a chip on his shoulder (and the best of people get this way, esp. in their youth) would wear something like what you are describing and, when sent home to change, would fuss that his supervisor didn't like him expressing his religious belief.  

Sigh.  And that is how we'd all be stuck wearing a uniform T-shirt with only the company logo on it. 

At the risk of now derailing my own thread:

How the heck is it "intolerant of Christianity" to avoid someplace where you or your family feel unwelcome? If I went into a business and it was openly advertised that they were anti-marriage equality, I would feel unwelcome in that establishment and no, I would not go back. They wouldn't want me there, so why would I? So how is that *me* being intolerant? I don't disagree that they have every right to have that belief. I don't want to tell them they can't have that belief or prevent them from advertising it in any way. I am not, however, going to subject myself to it.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Jinnah was speaking in more general terms about avoiding a business simply because the owner was Christian who didn't personally support gay marriage, not that she meant that the business that had obviously inflammatory messages posted in the store.

I am still wondering how the average person would even know about a particular business owner's personal beliefs. And I have never gone into a store and seen anti-gay or anti-religion or pro-religion messages posted in public view. It is a complete non-issue where I live. Obviously, it would be different in a store that sells religious products, but I would expect that before I entered the store.

Well, I personally, would not wear this t-shirt. However, I do believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. This is the belief of the majority of Christians. So, are you saying you do not want to shop at any stores where the person holds this belief? Sounds like you are intolerant of Christianity? How far would you go? Avoid all stores where the owner holds this belief? Avoid all people who believe that?

If someone is going to advertise that they are anti-gay marriage by allowing their employees to wear clothing attesting to that then it is a natural consequence that it would impact people's choice in shopping there.

It is not intolerant of Christianity to not give my business to a company that feels compelled to advertise their opinion on another person's sexuality.

I am Christian and I would find political messages to be unprofessional and inappropriate in the workplace. I would not shop there.

I have held management positions in retail and I would have sent an employee home if they were wearing a divisive Tshirt regardless of the type of business it was. Even if it was a Christian business I would still not have permitted divisive messages on clothing.

ETA: tone is not snarky.

No. Plenty of Christians run businesses that don't publicly support hate groups. Not all Christians have extreme beliefs and/or support the government legislating their personal views.

OP, I would definitely notice a divisive message and would assume the owner approved of the message. If I had the same experience twice, I would shop elsewhere.

Well, I personally, would not wear this t-shirt. However, I do believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. This is the belief of the majority of Christians. So, are you saying you do not want to shop at any stores where the person holds this belief? Sounds like you are intolerant of Christianity? How far would you go? Avoid all stores where the owner holds this belief? Avoid all people who believe that?

I agree with this poster, and I have a 40 year track record of "tolerating" Christianity. I "tolerate" the fact that some people hold beliefs that I believe to be hateful and damaging. If business owners and/or their employees are broadcasting these beliefs, and I become aware of them, then they, in turn, get to "tolerate" me taking my business elsewhere. Christians that are intent on maligning a subset of the population don't get to cry "intolerance". They get to reap what they sow!

I imagine that I frequent quite a few Christian-owned businesses, and that is cool. As long as those businesses don't make a statement that I personally find offensive, then it will stay cool. I will, however, always retain my rights to vote with my dollar.

Just my opinion but I don't consider being opposed to marriage equality just a religious belief. It has now become a political and equal rights issue. If an employee in a small business were wearing a blatantly anti-marriage tee shirt, I would guess the owner approved, and I most likely wouldn't shop there. The store owner has every right to allow his employee to wear the shirt but should expect there might be some loss of business. That in no way means I'm intolerant of Christians. That made me laugh since I live in a house full of Christians.

Do you remember the (Southern) Baptists 8 year boycott of WDW? (I don't know if you're in the US, you may not.I had to look it up, I had no idea it lasted 8 years - evidently WDW didn't really feel the sting.) Many (SBC) churches also dropped their BSA charters (that might be argued as a boycott).

I often seek out Amish, Mennonite, and Seventh Day Adventist stores for their bulk and health food. I have no idea what their actual religious beliefs are - I just like their stuff.

Do you remember the (Southern) Baptists 8 year boycott of WDW? (I don't know if you're in the US, you may not.I had to look it up, I had no idea it lasted 8 years - evidently WDW didn't really feel the sting.) Many (SBC) churches also dropped their BSA charters (that might be argued as a boycott).

I often seek out Amish, Mennonite, and Seventh Day Adventist stores for their bulk and health food. I have no idea what their actual religious beliefs are - I just like their stuff.

The preacher's wife in my parents' SBC church in the late 80s/early 90s also encouraged boycotting Proctor & Gamble and Liz Claiborne because of their satanic symbols. LOL.

No. Plenty of Christians run businesses that don't publicly support hate groups. Not all Christians have extreme beliefs and/or support the government legislating their personal views.

And even if they do have extreme beliefs or support the government legislating their personal views, I would suspect that most of them keep those beliefs private and don't let them interfere in their business, so most of us would never know about any of it. We would only know the people based on whether or not they acted pleasant and polite and gave us good service in their store.

And I'm fine with that. Believe whatever you want, but if you try to force you beliefs on me when I shop in your store, I'm not coming back. I'm not going to shop in a place where I feel uncomfortable.

But again, the only time a store owner has made me uncomfortable is when they were too pushy about trying to get me to buy something. I have never had anyone preach their personal beliefs to me, and I have never encountered an offensive t-shirt when I was out shopping. In fact, I never see these supposedly offensive and divisive t-shirts at all, no matter where I am.

I would not notice or mind tactfully wearing religious symbols, like a cross necklace.  I would not mind a shirt that stated a Christian message that is not offensive.  I *would* mind a message that was inflammatory, no matter the religious/political persuasion.  If I noticed an employee wearing something like the OP stated, I would probably think it had more to do w/ the employee than the employer, but I would also wonder about the employers rules regarding such.  I don't think it's good for any business to push a potentially offending belief, and if I felt like it was, I would not go there anymore.  If I were the employer, I would ban all shirts with any type of writing on them for employees working the registers.  My store would not be your place to push your agenda- regardless of what that agenda is.

Disagreement =/= hate.

If people "see it" as hate, they are wrong and should not be encouraged in that belief.

The word "hate" has no meaning at all if it can be invoked every time groups disagree.

Again, wanting to or working towards disallowing a person to marry a consenting adult is more than "disagree."

You can't assert, for another person, "they are wrong" about their experience of hate.

And if you dialog with the people affected by conservative religious viewpoints on issues of sexual minority, they would tell you that it is hate.

And the dead (by their own hands) homosexual, trans, bi persons. Yea, hate.

Again, wanting to or working towards disallowing a person to marry a consenting adult is more than "disagree."

You can't assert, for another person, "they are wrong" about their experience of hate.

And if you dialog with the people affected by conservative religious viewpoints on issues of sexual minority, they would tell you that it is hate.

And the dead (by their own hands) homosexual, trans, bi persons. Yea, hate.

The word "hate" used to shut people up in a discussion = bullying IMO.