Menu

Dr. Hive, Any of you deal with chronic blepharitis?

athomemom

I keep having flare-ups. It's always in the same place on my right eye. I've been using erythromycin eye ointment each night and soaking my eye. I try to put a warm cloth on my eye once a day, but sometimes I get so busy that I forget. 

My eye was looking better and then last night I could see a small white pimple area on my eyelid again.  I've been using the ointment for almost a week now. My regular doctor doesn't seem too concerned because my eye is only minimally swollen. I made an appointment on Friday in case it isn't 100% better. I really do not want to go in to the doctor's office, they have people out with the flu. I would really rather avoid that if I can.

I should add that I also wash my eyelids twice daily with baby shampoo. That's the one thing that I do religiously.  Sigh. I am very frustrated. Any ideas that could help?

I keep having flare-ups. It's always in the same place on my right eye. I've been using erythromycin eye ointment each night and soaking my eye. I try to put a warm cloth on my eye once a day, but sometimes I get so busy that I forget. 

My eye was looking better and then last night I could see a small white pimple area on my eyelid again.  I've been using the ointment for almost a week now. My regular doctor doesn't seem too concerned because my eye is only minimally swollen. I made an appointment on Friday in case it isn't 100% better. I really do not want to go in to the doctor's office, they have people out with the flu. I would really rather avoid that if I can.

I should add that I also wash my eyelids twice daily with baby shampoo. That's the one thing that I do religiously.  Sigh. I am very frustrated. Any ideas that could help?

:grouphug:

Do you use a washcloth when you wash your eyelids? That has helped me.

Oddly, blepharitis is one symptom of my son's celiac disease. When he is strictly gluten-free it goes away (for years on end) but if he slips up with his diet he can count on another round. Mentioning it just in case it helps you make a connection -- I can't imagine this is a common symptom of celiac disease but even his doctor agreed that the two seemed connected in my son's case.

Diet-related or not, here are my son's opthalmologist's instructions that always got him through the crisis:

Hygiene (do the following 2-4 times per day during the acute phase)
1. warm compress with washcloth

2. eyelid massage - move inner to outer

3. gentle lid scrub - use Johnson's Baby Shampoo and water. Wash with a Q-tip and rinse.

4. apply antibiotic ointment

Health

1. get plenty of sleep

2. observe good nutrition; limit sugar/sweets

3. avoid eyestrain and limit reading in the evening

4. wash hair and bathe at night and change your pillowcase every night

Supplements

1. Omega 3's (especially Cod Liver Oil)

2. multi with antioxidants

Oddly, blepharitis is one symptom of my son's celiac disease. When he is strictly gluten-free it goes away (for years on end) but if he slips up with his diet he can count on another round. Mentioning it just in case it helps you make a connection -- I can't imagine this is a common symptom of celiac disease but even his doctor agreed that the two seemed connected in my son's case.

Diet-related or not, here are my son's opthalmologist's instructions that always got him through the crisis:

3. gentle lid scrub - use Johnson's Baby Shampoo and water. Wash with a Q-tip and rinse.

Health

1. get plenty of sleep

Supplements

This has been going on for a couple of years for me. It flares up from time to time, but it's been more often than not lately. 

I really do not want to go to the doctor. So, even if the eyelid is red/pink with just a hint of swelling, would you go in, or keep treating it for a while first? 

I do not normally change my pillowcase every night, but I will start doing that now. I cannot bathe at night. My naturally curly hair just won't let me.  :tongue_smilie:

This has been going on for a couple of years for me. It flares up from time to time, but it's been more often than not lately. 

I really do not want to go to the doctor. So, even if the eyelid is red/pink with just a hint of swelling, would you go in, or keep treating it for a while first? 

I do not normally change my pillowcase every night, but I will start doing that now. I cannot bathe at night. My naturally curly hair just won't let me.  :tongue_smilie:

Unless it worsens dramatically, I'd wait a few days and try the more intense home remedies I outlined (especially the 2-4x day hygiene). But if there's no improvement or it gets worse I'd go to the doctor by the end of the week.

I hear you about the night-time hairwashing. Once my son had this as a little boy in the coldest part of winter, and our house is cold, so I worried about him getting sick if he went to bed with a wet head. So I gave him a fresh, clean nightcap every night along with the clean pillowcase. The doctor's thinking was that any oil/dirt from the hair and skin could irritate the eyelid during sleep, so I thought that thoroughly washing the face, ears, and neck, and covering the hair, would achieve the same purpose.

Do you even have a nightcap? LOL Easy to sew; just triangles.

Unless it worsens dramatically, I'd wait a few days and try the more intense home remedies I outlined (especially the 2-4x day hygiene). But if there's no improvement or it gets worse I'd go to the doctor by the end of the week.

I hear you about the night-time hairwashing. Once my son had this as a little boy in the coldest part of winter, and our house is cold, so I worried about him getting sick if he went to bed with a wet head. So I gave him a fresh, clean nightcap every night along with the clean pillowcase. The doctor's thinking was that any oil/dirt from the hair and skin could irritate the eyelid during sleep, so I thought that thoroughly washing the face, ears, and neck, and covering the hair, would achieve the same purpose.

Do you even have a nightcap? LOL Easy to sew; just triangles.

No, no nightcap here. 

It's so weird that my eye looked better yesterday and then flared back up. I am wondering if it is hormonal? My eye doctor doesn't think so, but things that I read online seem to point in that direction.

You are doing the recommended things.  There are some expensive wipes with tea tree oil on them, my optometrist (a relative) said. 

Heat the water and do the compress thing before washing with the baby shampoo. 

I have experienced this for a year or so, off and on, and it helps when I do this.  Heating washing the little clumps off and use a slightly rough washcloth to do that washing!  Not just soap and water. 

Also - this is gross- but ask the eye doctor to look with the high power microscope thing and be sure it isn't mites. There are mites that cause this in some cases (not mine, thankfully, but ugh - shudders), and they can be seen and have conical waste, I think the eye doc said.  That can be treated if it is the problem with some antibiotic. 

Health

1. get plenty of sleep

Supplements

That is a very interesting connection.  I am at least gluten intolerant, I have noted, and now that you say this I DO see a difference when I stay away from grains!  Thanks for mentioning this.  I stopped a few days ago again, and it cleared right up.    I think I will try the Omega 3's. 

You are doing the recommended things.  There are some expensive wipes with tea tree oil on them, my optometrist (a relative) said. 

Heat the water and do the compress thing before washing with the baby shampoo. 

I have experienced this for a year or so, off and on, and it helps when I do this.  Heating washing the little clumps off and use a slightly rough washcloth to do that washing!  Not just soap and water. 

Also - this is gross- but ask the eye doctor to look with the high power microscope thing and be sure it isn't mites. There are mites that cause this in some cases (not mine, thankfully, but ugh - shudders), and they can be seen and have conical waste, I think the eye doc said.  That can be treated if it is the problem with some antibiotic. 

I haven't seen wipes with tea tree oil on them. I'll have to see if I can find them & research them.

I usually warm my washcloth in the microwave for about 30 secs and let it cool slightly before I apply it to my eye.

Thankfully, the eye doctor did look and my blepharitis is NOT from mites. Shuddering with you on that one! 

How long do your episodes last? Do you find that it coincides with your cycle? Do you use antibiotic ointment?

I haven't seen wipes with tea tree oil on them. I'll have to see if I can find them & research them.

I usually warm my washcloth in the microwave for about 30 secs and let it cool slightly before I apply it to my eye.

Thankfully, the eye doctor did look and my blepharitis is NOT from mites. Shuddering with you on that one! 

How long do your episodes last? Do you find that it coincides with your cycle? Do you use antibiotic ointment?

I don't use ointment, though I have some from one particularly HUGE stye I got (two headed, and anterior- behind lid). 

I only get clumps of yellowish stuff at my eyelids.  I have noted that it increases when I consume grains and sugar and decreases when I lower that consumption. 

It's really erratic.  I don't have cycles anymore, and I didn't have it until after the cycles stopped, so I'm no help there. 

I have to ask then, which grains do you specifically avoid? Any and all, or? I love rice and pasta. LOL I'm sure my waist line would appreciate a break from eating them though.

That's just me. Maybe you don't react to them.   I merely responded with that because another poster mentioned that it is part of her kid's gluten problem.  I'm only intolerant, not allergic. 

I seem ok with rice. 

Pasta, bread, and sweets have to be rare for me .  ugh. 

I never thought of blepharitis being linked to celiac!

I've had it for about 12 years. First time put me in the hospital because they didn't know what it was. It my first successful Google self-diagnosis. Lol. It was confirmed by several drs.

When I feel that itch coming on I wash with johnsons 3+ times a day. It's been a few years since a serious flare, but I've been mostly gluten free.

Tibbie, I'm going to use some of that list. Thank you for posting!

That's just me. Maybe you don't react to them.   I merely responded with that because another poster mentioned that it is part of her kid's gluten problem.  I'm only intolerant, not allergic. 

I seem ok with rice. 

Pasta, bread, and sweets have to be rare for me .  ugh. 

I wondered so that I can at least think about trying that option. Something is making me flare up. I wish I knew what it was. I certainly wash my eyes enough so I know that isn't it.

I never thought of blepharitis being linked to celiac!

I've had it for about 12 years. First time put me in the hospital because they didn't know what it was. It my first successful Google self-diagnosis. Lol. It was confirmed by several drs.

When I feel that itch coming on I wash with johnsons 3+ times a day. It's been a few years since a serious flare, but I've been mostly gluten free.

Tibbie, I'm going to use some of that list. Thank you for posting!

Do you use compresses daily as well? What do you do to keep it away? Do you only avoid wheat? I'm asking because I need to try something to see if it helps.

I personally never found anything to help with a flare. If I wake up crusted shut and crazy itchy, it'll be like that for a week. It never seemed to matter what I did once it flared bad.

I'm not completely positive about my gluten-flare link, but thinking back, it does fit. It also fits with all the other celiac symptoms i have.

I personally never found anything to help with a flare. If I wake up crusted shut and crazy itchy, it'll be like that for a week. It never seemed to matter what I did once it flared bad.

I'm not completely positive about my gluten-flare link, but thinking back, it does fit. It also fits with all the other celiac symptoms i have.

My eye to date has is never crusty upon waking. It is just red on the right top lid and a little swollen. I have given up eye make-up and contacts. I seriously miss both. 

I'm just frustrated. I would like not to worry about doing warm compresses all the time. Geez, and just live.  :glare:

• 2 weeks later...

I was just talking to someone about this on Monday.  She says she is able to keep it at bay with daily fish oil supplements (Nordic brand).  If she misses even a day, she says she can feel her eyes start to swell.  I hope you find a long-term solution!

I have had blepharitis forever. Mine is anterior, under the eyelid. When it flares up, this is what helps-

Hot compresses on the eyes once or twice daily, followed by applying gentle pressure the edges of eyelids to express the clogged glands.

I occasionally use baby shampoo but it's not really applicable for where I have issues.

Fish oil supplements seem to help; seems to keep the eye oils more viscous so glands around the eyelid don't clog as easily. So does increased humidity. Maybe the humidity just makes it feel better. I am more prone to flare ups in the colder, drier months.

When it's hard to win the battle with the above, a course of tetracycline seems to get it clears up.

I am intrigued by the observation up thread about a gluten connection. I never paid attention to that before. Something to consider.

No, no nightcap here.

It's so weird that my eye looked better yesterday and then flared back up. I am wondering if it is hormonal? My eye doctor doesn't think so, but things that I read online seem to point in that direction.

I participated in a clinical study years ago. Though examining a hormonal component wasn't part of that, as I monitored things the doctor and I both felt there was definitely a hormonal component, and that high stress levels also seemed to be a factor in flare ups. He noted these in other patients as well, but it wasn't central to the trial at hand so he couldn't speak conclusively about it. Both definitely apply to me, that's when discomfort might occur when I'm not otherwise flared up.

This thread has been really helpful, my son started getting this around age 11 and nothing has really helped too much. It is fairly mild and the doctor really didn't seem interested. I will have him keep up with the fish oil supplements and find this Steri-Lid at the store.

Interesting thread.  I've had blepharitis for years and years, too.  I often made a connection between a flare-up and a candida issue getting out of hand (meaning that I had eaten too many sugars and starches...go figure!).  For me, warm compresses many times a day, with continual warming of warm compresses for 1/2 hour or more at a time, constituting one time.  I would just keep doing it until I could literally feel an inside tear drop coming down my cheek from a tear duct that had finally opened up.  I think I also have to keep my eyes from getting too dry, as well, like they are feeling right now, by using non-prescription eye drops for dry eyes.  However, I don't think I've really had it as bad as your eyes sound right now.  Hope they feel better soon!