Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

UPDATED: Does anyone on this board have a NON-superstar high school student?

Love the update and how you really are trying to work with him to find something that fires him up!!!

Having done jobs that I cared about and jobs that I was just doing for a paycheck, I can honestly say it was the jobs that I cared about, even if they paid less, that kept me happy/satisfied/fired up.  Money doesn't buy happiness.  Yes, it really helps to be able to live independently, pay your bills, not constantly be in fear of financial disaster...but if you are going to spend hours and hours, over years and years, (in fact the bulk of your waking, productive time) at a job it sure is much nicer to do something you enjoy, something you care about.

Good for you, Mom.  I hope it works out.

• Like 3

He responded, "I dunno.  But I really like Boy Scout summer camp."

So dh, ds, and I brainstorm about careers that might satisfy him.  We *think* we might have hit upon something that he would like:  park ranger

So we are now looking at colleges that offer a certified program in park and recreation management (believe it or not, there is a certifying organization - who knew?) and now we are zeroing in a few in-state colleges.

A good friend of the family is going to school for this right now! His major is "Human Dimensions of Natural Resource Management".  We like to say that he wants to be a professional Boy Scout. :-)

• Like 3

My kid is a regular kid academically.  He has some interests that, because we homeschool, he pursues to a greater extent than he would be able to do were he in public school -- mainly computers and music.  He has varied interests, too, which I encourage him to explore.  Do it now, I say, while you have the luxury of youth to explore it. 

He says he wants to go into IT.  The nice thing about that is that here, you don't necessarily have to go to university to do that.  The colleges (not the same thing as a university here) have certificate/diploma programs for much of what seems to interest him, so it's likely he could do one of those programs and have the skills to get employment in that field sooner than he had thought -- 1 to 2 years instead of 4 or more. 

He doesn't dislike school, although he still insists he hates math (which puzzles me because he'll score above 80% on every test and I think that's in the good range, not the "I totally suck" range that he thinks he's in).  I don't think he wants to spend more time in post-secondary school that he has to, though.  I am pleased that he has excellent command of the English language and that his skills in Latin and French are nearly the same level of excellence.  Above all, he is a thoughtful and kind person.  

• Like 6

I've enjoyed reading this thread!  Thanks for your honesty and for sharing your experiences.  I'm planning for high school and have been worried that my son would be absolutely miserable and have a hard time through high school.   I would like to ask what curriculum you're using for your your academically average kids.  I've looked into Veritas Diploma Program and it seems too rigorous and challenging.  Omnibus as history seems too much even for me.   We are very happy with Math-U-SEe and Apologia Science.  We took a Potter's School writing course, and together, we are working through it, and he's actually now enjoying writing.  I'm looking into Biblioplan for history/geography/ literature...  Have any of you had any experience w/ that?  Would it be too challenging for him?  

I've enjoyed reading this thread! Thanks for your honesty and for sharing your experiences. I'm planning for high school and have been worried that my son would be absolutely miserable and have a hard time through high school. I would like to ask what curriculum you're using for your your academically average kids. I've looked into Veritas Diploma Program and it seems too rigorous and challenging. Omnibus as history seems too much even for me. We are very happy with Math-U-SEe and Apologia Science. We took a Potter's School writing course, and together, we are working through it, and he's actually now enjoying writing. I'm looking into Biblioplan for history/geography/ literature... Have any of you had any experience w/ that? Would it be too challenging for him?

Have you looked into the AGS textbooks?

UPDATE #2

We are now several years down the road. I just wanted to update on this child of mine, who today is coming home on the train for Christmas break.

He ended up in the Honors College at a large state school. He has three semesters finished and has made the Dean's List every semester so far. A few years ago, I *never* would have thought this possible.

I have to brag. This semester, despite having taken not one but TWO honors classes on top of a foreign language class AND working two part-time jobs... he got straight A's.

Mamas (and papas), don't give up on that teenager who makes you pull out your hair!

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 33

â¤ï¸ This update. I also have one of THOSE students. The one that took 2 years or so to get through algebra, did the bare minimum to get by, and didn't put forth effort to write a decent essay until mid highschool. She starts nursing school next month, she is a straight A student, on the deans list- and scored VERY well on her nursing exam (TEAS I think) And I have another just like her coming up- just started 9th grade. Trying to find the balance between relaxing and pushing.... 🙄

Edited by Free Indeed
  • Like 2

â¤ï¸ This update. I also have one of THOSE students. The one that took 2 years or so to get through algebra, did the bare minimum to get by, and didn't put forth effort to write a decent essay until mid highschool. She starts nursing school next month, she is a straight A student, on the deans list- and scored VERY well on her nursing exam (TEAS I think) And I have another just like her coming up- just started 9th grade. Trying to find the balance between relaxing and pushing.... 🙄

When did the shift happen?

When did the shift happen?

Her last year in high school is when it started. We start at a local community college so college entrance wasn't a big deal. She has has done above and beyond what I expected though I knew it was mainly her laziness holding her back. She went through A&P 1&2, and Microbiolgy top of her class after balking, crying fits over Apologia! 😂 She loves the college environment.

My 21yo and 17yo never had the same issues as my 19 and now 14yo do!

• Like 2

UPDATE #2

We are now several years down the road. I just wanted to update on this child of mine, who today is coming home on the train for Christmas break.

He ended up in the Honors College at a large state school. He has three semesters finished and has made the Dean's List every semester so far. A few years ago, I *never* would have thought this possible.

I have to brag. This semester, despite having taken not one but TWO honors classes on top of a foreign language class AND working two part-time jobs... he got straight A's.

Mamas (and papas), don't give up on that teenager who makes you pull out your hair!

Great update, Kinsa! So is he still doing Parks and Rec as a major? I sort of lost track along the way.  ;)

Great update, Kinsa! So is he still doing Parks and Rec as a major? I sort of lost track along the way. ;)

Yes, his major is properly called "Recreation Management". It's sort of a hybrid between the business department and the kinesiology department. He loves it! It is definitely the perfect major for him.

• Like 4

Oh, my. This thread should be pinned. On (nearly) every single board here.

This makes me so happy! Enjoy bragging on him, proud mama, and CONGRATS to your ds!!!  :hurray:

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 3