Menu

A Question for you Alabama homeschoolers

Live2Ride

Its been some time since I've popped in on the message boards. Time and seasons you see, but I am still homeschooling one teen and seeking a bit of advice.

We are looking at a possible work related move to the Huntsville, AL area (possibly just over the border of TN).

We are currently in Louisiana and our laws are fairly simple. Our daughter is currently a junior enrolled in K-12 online through the state and dual enrolled through our local community college (which is paid for by K-12 through state funding).

I had planned to do this for our son when he entered his junior year this fall (they both did/would enter their junior year with 19 credits, only needing 24 to graduate).

Now to my question, does Alabama have a set up similar to this dual enrollment option that we have here? We would really hate to give up two years of paid college courses for our teens. Our daughter loves it and is doing very well, making good use of the dual enrollment.

We have to pay a church school and with dual enrollment, you pay a reduced price because there is a dual enrollment scholarship the university gives.  My dd is at UAH and about 50% of the tuition is paid by the scholarship.  We are papying 400 for a three credit class this term.  We already had the book because the same book was used first semester in a previous class. (She is taking Spanish and the first semester went through half of the book).

Well at this time we are staying put. Staying here is just too good of an educational opportunity for our two. I added up the class price for my daughter's 5 college classes this semester and we would not be able to afford even half that. Our state may be one of the lowest ranking, but it surely isn't for their lack of trying to offer the opportunity to educate ones self.