Menu

Would you scuba dive?

creekland

Would you scuba dive?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Would you scuba dive?

• I already do!
    • I would love to if I could!
    • I think I might like it, but I'm not sure I could handle the feeling.
    • I think I might like it, but I'd be scared of critters like sharks.
    • Me? Under water - like - totally? You're kidding, right? I always knew you weren't normal!
    • Other - is there an other? I guess there always has to be.

This has been a topic I've been discussing with some people lately and it's been interesting to hear the results.  Naturally, that got me wondering what the Hive thinks...

We're already certified and don't get to dive as often as I'd like (cost - location), but I love it and am doing things I never thought I'd do in an attempt to return to the underwater world shortly.  (Been "off" for over a year now!)

MY preference is definitely for tropical reefs and critters - or shipwrecks in places like the St Lawrence (still warmer weather presuming one goes in summer).  I don't really care for cold water or other fresh water diving.  Ok, I'll make an exception for FL's fresh water springs too - esp with manatees - but PA's quarries don't tempt me (anymore).

I would love it if I was nearer a body of water other than a fish pond. :mellow:

Is it creepy to dive around a sunken ship? Every time I see documentaries with underwater footage of shipwrecks, I feel awed that men made something that could float yet nothing is perfect and given certain circumstances, it still sinks.

I've watched Robert Ballard and the Titanic discovery a few times and I always like how respectful he is around the wreck because it is a graveyard.

Is it creepy to dive around a sunken ship? 

It does have an eerie feel to it.  The vast majority of divers are very respectful of wrecks knowing that often real lives were lost when the ship went down.  I like to read the history of the vessel and its demise.  When I'm there I think about it and feel like I'm paying respect to their memories.  They aren't forgotten.

You know, I always thought scuba diving would be so cool. But dh and I went on a cruise several years ago (before kids) and we signed up to go snorkeling. I was SO excited!

As soon as we were in and I looked under the water and saw all those fish and things swimming right up next to me, I totally FREAKED. OUT. Like, climbing-on-dh's-back-screaming-bloody-murder-completely-embarassing-myself-so-he-had-to-tow-me-back-to-the-boat freaked out. It was not my finest moment.

So, um, yeah. Think I'll pass. :blushing:

I never understood the appeal - until I went snorkeling in Hawaii and saw the most amazing fish in the coral there.

If I lived somewhere near the ocean, I think I'd like to try. But cold quarries in the Midwest - no incentive.

This is me. I was very nervous when I first went snorkeling, because it's the huge ocean! With waves! I had only ever been swimming in pools or calm lakes. But I loved seeing the fish, the coral, the turtles. So now I would like to go back and do some dives, but only if my brother was there, because I trust him completely, he used to be a rescue diver on Maui, and he is always calm in stressful situations. He came with us when we went to Hawaii and went snorkeling. I was still a bit nervous because the ocean is so powerful, but I felt like he would know what to do should a "situation" arise. :)

I put "already do" but actually it's more "been there, done that".  In college, in the Army, in a sand pit "pond" instead of a cold quarry.  Probably never will again.  Maybe if we move much further south.

The weirdest thing was the first breath through the regulator underwater.  Right up there with jumping out of a perfectly good airplane for the first time.

Snorkeling was a total disaster (the first week of the scuba class). I couldn't clear it at all and they only let me stay in the class because I was on the swim team.

Maybe?  But I sort of have a love/fear relationship with this sort of thing, developed only in the past couple of years. I have been surprised by harmless sea turtles coming up behind me and above me, brushing. I know they are there. and I know they are cool and won't hurt me, but it's still a little surprising.  I've even had some difficulty snorkeling, although I always do it when I have opportuinty. I think Black Fish ruined me. (Although I know I'm not likely to be held down on a tank floor by an orca on top of me. But that scene w/Peterson still haunts me.)

I probably wouldn't.  I love to swim.  I like snorkling even though I get the heebie geebies a little when fish brush up against me.  I even do some risky things like rock climb.  But Scuba scares me.  I guess it is partly the relying on an apparatus to breathe and being so far away from "real air" should things go wrong as well as a little bit of claustrophobia (the physical pressure of deeper water reminds me of being in a cave.)  That said, my oldest is taking scuba lessons right now in preparation for his spring break trip to Cozumel for his Marine Biophysics class in college.  He was a good Boy Scout (the whole "Be Prepared" thing.)  He has a good head on his shoulders and plans for contingencies.  I am working very hard to not pass on my fear to him. 

Well, it's fun. But not as fun as other things for me. It's not very active. Maybe when I'm older. I loved being able to clear my ears and realize that it doesn't hurt to be deep. What I don't like is worrying about bends, constantly trying to remember not to hold my breath, and the way I lose touch with where I am. You can't hear anyone so you constantly are keeping eyes on them and your surroundings and your peripheral vision is not good. I think at this point I way prefer to snorkel and free dive (not that deep) since I know how to clear my ears comfortably now.

I've snorkeled in Hawaii & I did the scuba intro in a pool thing at a resort in Mexico but I don't think I can scuba. I get claustrophobic if I start to think about it too much. Even watching Jacques Cousteau used to whig me out after a bit.

Scuba off the west coast of Vancouver is creepy - dark and scary. I can't even watch video of it.

I'm comfortable with ocean swimming though & going under a few feet is fine.

I never understood the appeal - until I went snorkeling in Hawaii and saw the most amazing fish in the coral there.

If I lived somewhere near the ocean, I think I'd like to try. But cold quarries in the Midwest - no incentive.

We did our certification dives in HI and to this day one of my all time favorite dives has been the Manta Ray night dive there.  Getting a hair rub from one and looking straight into their gaping mouths as they did their feeding dance right in front of us was amazing.

I share your view regarding quarry dives.

I'd love to think I could do it....I'm a little claustrophobic and I'm afraid of fish.  (That's so embarrassing to admit, but there it is.)  I have snorkeled in the past and did okay until the fish went crazy.    Have you heard of this place in Utah?  I'd go there....it's warm and decidedly not-fishy.  

I love the fish and other critters (even sharks)!

I'd never heard of Homestead Crater before.  Next time we go to Utah we will have to put it on our to do list as it sounds quite appealing just for the diversity of it.  With their water temps - no need for any sort of wet suit!

Snorkeling was a total disaster (the first week of the scuba class). I couldn't clear it at all and they only let me stay in the class because I was on the swim team.

Try a dry snorkel.  It's the only kind I like.  We just bought one for my mom... she's adventurous enough to try snorkeling with us on our next trip.  If I can't go diving (I might still have ear issues), I at least plan to get some snorkeling in.  I'm really hoping she loves it too.

Two of my daughters did their certification dive in a PA quarry...when it had 4" of snow on the dock.....and it was 25 degrees out side.   They didn't love the experience. :huh:

I guess that's dedication!  BUT... I preferred doing our studying here in PA and the water part in HI personally.  I'd do it that way again in a heartbeat.

I, personally, have no desire to. I'm not adventurous by nature. I saw a show about how a girl went diving in really rough waters and died. :( I know it was just one person who was ill prepared. I'm just frightful of that situation. 

It also frightens me to be under water that long.

I think it is awesome that you do and can enjoy it! :)

I, personally, have no desire to. I'm not adventurous by nature. I saw a show about how a girl went diving in really rough waters and died. :( I know it was just one person who was ill prepared. I'm just frightful of that situation. 

I'm not super sure I ever had a fear of death - esp based upon the horses I used to ride in my youth.

I still take (some) precautions like seat belts in cars and (some) safety gear for activities, but... I'm just not afraid of dying during activities I'm in control of.

My kids and hubby all know that if anything should happen to me, I expect them to go right on living their lives to the fullest.  We've had that discussion more than once.

I'd rather die young and have truly lived than live into old age and do absolutely nothing.

NOTE:  This is not the same as saying all should try scuba or riding or any other activity.  If it's not something one feels they would enjoy, why bother?  There are too many other life options one can choose.  There are many thing I don't choose as I don't feel I would enjoy them - like skydiving - yet a co-worker absolutely loves it.  We all have our preferences.  But the fear of death doesn't motivate me to do (or not do) much. 

No interest whatsoever. I am happy to visit the aquarium and swimming pool separately.

:lol:  This is almost exactly what the last person I talked with said... then he shuddered at my answer as to how deep we go (which isn't all that deep - just around 80 feet or so - though we've been about 120 feet down for one shipwreck).  I prefer 80 feet or shallower in general - nice coral - nice critters - fewer worries about nitrogen narcosis, etc.

My husband and I are aow and leave tomorrow for three weeks diving and relaxing in the keys. We live in Oregon and have drysuits and certification but haven't been out in them yet. We're active in our club and our kids have heard lectures on all sorts of cool sea-related science.

I'm not much for deep for deep's sake but I love reefs and wrecks.

Eta: we have as advanced open water certs and have done quite a bit of diving.

Have you checked out the scubaboards? Super active community.

we had a neighbor who did commercial underwater salvage.  he had an anchor he pulled off the bottom of the Columbia bar (where the Columbia rivers meets the pacific ocean).

I'm not an underwater kinda gal.  I did snorkel in Hawaii - and once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed it.

I love it.  It is snorkeling that I don't understand.  It is like two dimensional scuba diving.  

I am eager for DD to be a reasonable age so she can learn and we can go as a family.  I miss it.  I actually like that it isn't very active.  Something generally considered a "sport" where my lack of muscle is an advantage.  Woot!   Although now I have a rebreather, that doesn't have the impact on my downtime that it used to.  

I love it.  It is snorkeling that I don't understand.  It is like two dimensional scuba diving.  

I am eager for DD to be a reasonable age so she can learn and we can go as a family.  I miss it.  I actually like that it isn't very active.  Something generally considered a "sport" where my lack of muscle is an advantage.  Woot!   Although now I have a rebreather, that doesn't have the impact on my downtime that it used to.  

I agree with snorkeling, but it's better than nothing if that's the best my body will handle at this point in time.

My youngest got his certification at 10 years and 2 months.  No regrets!  We did have to watch him closely as he admired Steve Irwin and wanted to be just like him - fully willing to try to handle eels, etc.  Irwin's death was a BIG wake up call for him.

I have always wanted to try it, but I am not sure I could. I have problems just being at the bottom of a 9 ft deep pool and also with altitude change, I don't think pressure changes agree with me.

FWIW, Sudafed - the original stuff - works well at helping ears adjust to altitude changes.  We learned this from other divers, of course, so just passing on the info.  Both my youngest and I dive with it.  The other three in our family do not need it.  Be sure to take it early enough that it's working and use the longer lasting varieties so it doesn't quit while you're under water.

I tried snorkeling and it took getting used to.  I didn't breathe right and nearly passed out.  I had to be hauled back to the boat by my best friend (strong swimmer, thankfully).  But once I got the hang of it, I loved it.  

I think scuba diving would be even more amazing.  Physically, I am not in a position to tackle that right now, since cancer, but I honestly really would love to try.  I realize it isn't for everyone, though.  

Got my Advanced Diver certification when we lived on Maui, but that was back in 1990.  I've only dived once since then, in 2005.  I loved it!  It feels like flying.  I would just think something, like, "I wonder what's in that reef over there," and my body would just take me over there, effortlessly!  It was amazing.

I guess that's dedication!  BUT... I preferred doing our studying here in PA and the water part in HI personally.  I'd do it that way again in a heartbeat.

We moved TO Hawaii not too long after that and one daughter said, "Someone explain why we didn't wait to get certified HERE!" 

I voted other... Someone had to.

Dh has in the past and was going to do my course to join him when I got pregnant with ds ... Since then life has been babies etc which make sports like scuba difficult. If we still lived where we used to I probably would as it would be something to do together ( though I'd be scared stiff) but there aren't many opportunities here so it's not worth it. Plus it is a team sport so we'd need a babysitter to make it work.

My husband and I love to scuba dive.  I'm just a basic open water level.  He's a dive master.  Then we had kids.  He still goes occasionally but doesn't teach any classes any more.  I haven't been since I had kids - so almost 6 years.  I LOVE Key Largo and Key West diving.  I have zero desire to dive anywhere else, except maybe a FL spring or the river to see manatees.  I dream about the day we will take a trip to see manatees. 

We're in NC.  My husband has gone out to wrecks off SC and NC.  They are deep and cold and he reports MANY shark.  I know the chances are slim of anything happening...but, you will never catch me out there!  Yes, a real tiger shark, not a sand tiger, swam very close to my husband's friend (my husband wasn't on that trip, thankfully!) off SC.  No thanks.  But, the reefs in the keys are beautiful and many are shallow.  I won't go very deep ever again.  My husband doesn't help my fears when he regularly reports on Mary Lou, or whatever tagged white shark he tracks online.

I picked Other  - I have no problem going under water, diving, snorkeling, etc. But I have an irrational fear of my eyeballs exploding from a decompression situation (space, deep scuba diving, etc) so I couldn't go scuba diving. Or be an astronaut. :-)  I'm bad - I should probably figure out where this fear came from, watching a space movie with DH always involves me covering my eyes at some point and asking about exploding eyeballs. 

I learned in Hawaii as a teen. (I know...there isn't a better place.)  When we got back home (Michigan), I tried it once in a local lake..but it just wasn't the same beautiful, awe-inspiring experience.

I did swim/snorkle with the manatees in Crystal River.  That was incredible. :)  (No need to scuba, wasn't that deep.)

I have spent many hours underwater, so I'm not a would, but a have. Like you, I prefer warm and clear; cold water tends to give me vertigo. I like all kinds of sites - rigs, wrecks, reefs.

It's been a while since I've gotten my gear wet, though. Chasing kids just takes a lot of time!