Menu

Now that we've vented peeves, what are we happy about?

OnTheBrink

Tomorrow is Friday--jeans day at work!

DD was asked by her college piano teacher to submit one of her original piano compositions to a national competition. Not too shabby for a 16 year old who's only been playing 5 years!

The weather is warming a bit (and by "warm", I mean above freezing) so the ice is melting. Woo!

I am happy about:

That dh finally asked me a question, that showed he was finally ready to hear the answer to a very tough topic.  It is a topic that I brought up 2x in the past 5 years, and he is finally ready to listen.  Unfortunately, Too little.  Too late. But I finally got some serious closure on saying somethings I really needed to get off my chest.  

That ds is turning into a man I am immensely proud of.

That dd16 is finally ready to address her ADD issues.  I called to schedule her doctor appointment and she is taking the forms to her teachers tomorrow.  We have known for years, but she is finally seeing how it is killing her grades. She is ready to finally deal with it and I am proud of her for it.

That dd8 had a pretty good night, and went to bed without fussing.  I was a very, very stressful day (see #1 and I found out that my previous honor student has three Cs in her classes at school-finals are tomorrow and she hasn't studied at all) and I really needed dd8 to just not argue tonight. 

I love it when someone makes me coffee and brings it to me before I've gotten dressed. It's so nice to be nurtured by the children you've raised.

A couple of my kids are good at loading dishes. And they remember to start it!

My son is reading! He found his trigger book...he cried when it was over because he'd never get to read it again for the first time. Now he reads everything I stick in front of him.

I love it when it rains in the desert. Kids in the neighborhood get excited and run around in it, even if they are wearing their pajamas.

Ms. 6 aced her MM1 end of year test with 92%.

The kids are making meat and veg combo spag bol while I'm on the computer.

We got our biggest apricot harvest ever.

I can remember four chords on my guitar.

I have decluttered a huge box of no-longer-used resources to pass onto another family.

Dinner was fantastic (chickpea and roasted broccoli burritos).

My sons both breezed through their schoolwork today happily and my older son is super into his new history book.

I have the most recent series of Foyles War out from the library.

I have a lot of things to be happy about right now.

I can walk again without the fear of pain shooting down my leg and found new exercises that seem to help a lot.

The next four months are fully scheduled with exciting things

Dh has gotten recertified in his field and the cost was only half of what it could have been

The dog does not seem to be on his deathbed any longer but steadily improving thanks to a new vet

There is no snow where I live and the roads are nearly always navigable

We are healthy

I have a hubby who is willing to do anything and everything for us.  No task is too big, too small, or too demeaning.  He never demands anything in return either.

I'll be forever thankful that we joined a health-share many years ago and ACA kept them legal.  When I think of the $$ we'd be out with our OOP maxs if we'd gone with insurance it makes me shudder.  Then too, I have no worries about networks or other things my colleagues have to deal with.

Oldest graduated and has a job (using his degree) he enjoys.

Middle is well on his way to getting what he needs for med school admission (somewhere).

Youngest returned from his freshman fall semester a delightful young man who is super willing to pitch in around the house.

I live in an area I really like.  We have $$ to travel to see other places.

I finally figured out the stories my dad told me about my mom weren't the least bit true allowing me to develop a great relationship with my mom.

I could probably go on and on.  There are MANY things I'm happy about.  Those are just the first coming to mind this morning.

I'm happy about the sun streaming through the window right now. It's been a cloudy, cold, wet winter, dreary and difficult in many ways, and it's almost over. My dh comes home from deployment in two weeks.

I'm happy about everythin really. I have a great life, a great family, we're all healthy. I'm grateful for that.

I'm happy when my kids play with my hair. I pay them in candy to do it.

The gospel of Jesus Christ makes me happy. Even during difficult times I enjoy the companionship of the Spirit of peace, comfort, hope, and joy.

Dh is off today. We have a three day weekend. A Wal-Mart neighborhood market opened up the road and tax is 5percent less there and they stock a lot of organics. All my kids are doing good. I can get outside and run the next five days. The weather is warmer and drier

Later today my 16 year old son is leaving to go to a YoYo competition in another state.  This is a kid who, despite being pretty intelligent and more than capable of keeping up with his schoolwork, has generally skated by in life (I call it "smart person syndrome", they get used to everything being easy and soon become lazy...they don't want to work at anything and have problems when they encounter anything that isn't immediately obvious to them...anyway, sorry for the digression).  With this, he did all of the leg work. Picked out his music, got it ready, mapped the route, found the hotel, found eateries, picked out and prepared food to take, etc.  I did nothing (including remind him to do anything).  It makes my heart glad (and relieved) to see him taking initiative in something.

Being caught up on laundry.

When a kid remembers to do something considerate.

Being even half a minute early.

Hearing my hardworking kid say what she likes about school, even after a tough day.

Seeing compassion in my kids.

Seeing strength in my kids.

Maid service.

Time alone.

Enough sleep.

Reading just for fun.

A warm shower.

"Friday Fun Day" - children are forbidden from doing homework or chores on this day.  :)  And we sit together to watch a DVD.

Clean snow.

Seeing my kids enjoy the things I enjoyed 40 years ago.

Having a place to go where people understand and don't judge me for being human.

I grocery shop at the same store every Friday early in the morning.  I am usually there by 7am.  This is TX where you have random conversations with strangers while they scan your groceries (that is something NOT done where I grew up in MD so it was a little bit of a culture shock when I moved here).  So over the months I've gotten to know some of the checkers there on Friday mornings.  After two weeks not shopping at Christmas, the one checker seemed genuinely happy to see me in again.  Today I had a conversation with the other checker about how we are going to use the gumdrops and toothpicks to make molecules today (they know I homeschool).  She used to be an early elementary school teacher (retired now) and so she thought that was such a fun idea.  It just makes me happy to have a friendly chat in the morning once a week.

We had  huge, beautiful red headed woodpecker at our bird feeder a few minutes ago, that was a delightful treat!

We got a cat in April and have discovered she is VERY polite in the morning!  Our old cat used to wake you up at the crack of dawn with his butt in your face, but she genteelly waits until she knows you're awake to come and love you up.  It's actually quite nice to wake up to sweet kitty snuggles rather than a violent mauling.

I've 7 and a half (that half is very important!) months pregnant and the other day my Mom had Nutty Bars at lunch.  Ever since then I've been craving them . . . intensely!  We had to run to the store today and I indulged in a box and now have them to look forward to at lunch time!!

Watching my dd4 twirling around the living room while ds6 pushes ds2 around the floor like he's  a mop!  All of this done with huge smiles on their faces and giggles coming out of their mouth.  

Sipping coffee at the dining room table with my legs propped up in dh's lap watching the 3 crazy children in the other room.

After a bunch of working phone calls, my insurance company decided to cover the meds I need (well not the exact one, that would be asking to much, but a similar one) and I started it on Wednesday. While this drug is scary, and I am quite nervous about it, I am also hopeful it will put my disease into remission. And my kids are excited for Momma to feel better!

That DH is at work. He works in the oil industry and it is taking a HUGE downturn. For the moment he is at work and that is a good thing. His company is doing everything they can to avoid layoffs. I am thankful he works for a smaller company that is able to do this. Many other, larger companies have laid-off hundreds already.

Coffee!

My husbands multiple sclerosis is still in remission and we are enjoying this wonderful relaps free time.

I am thankful for my family's health, seriously. So many are suffering from illnesses that are wrecking their world.

I am thankful for the time I have down here on earth to make a difference in people's lives for the cause of Christ.

It is CRAZY warm for Iowa this weekend. (40)

Ana got into Victorian Lit class which was previously full. This kid simply cannot believe she GETS to read and analyze her favorite authors for a grade. Her enthusiasm is SUCH A BLAST!!

I currently have an almost two year old. It is my all time favorite age. I'm happy to just see her face in the morning and wonder what cuteness awaits my day.

My son enjoys hard algebra. I will NEVER understand joy over wrestling with math, but I love that he loves it.

DH is sick today. (That's not fun.). But I think I can talk him into a game of Carcassone. I love Carcassone.

It's sunny here.

I finished painting an entry way table. I picked it up for $35 at an estate auction. It's gorgeous. It makes me happy every time I look at it. (Yeah, that's shallow.)

I took time to read this week. I haven't done this for a long time.

I'm happy to be 33 weeks pregnant and excited to meet this new baby and find out if it's a blueberry or strawberry.

Even though I get frustrated, cranky, and overwhelmed with homeschooling it is still really neat for me to see my kids learning and to be the one teaching them this year.  I love reporting on their progress to DH and finding out how their little brains work.

Thankful to live near my family, even if just for a little while.

This makes me happy: DH discovered a tiny store that sells wild bird feed and all sorts of birding stuff. Joy! What a lovely little place that is! The man at the counter was so nice. The files on the desk behind the counter made me smile, too, packed with bird identifiers and such. The wall was covered with little notes, photos and drawings, thanking the store for this or that.

This also makes me happy: DS just taught himself to speed-solve Rubik's cube.

And DD got a 100% on her French oral presentation midterm.

I've been wanting to buy The Writer's Jungle, but the price is just too high for me, and of course, being a PDF, it's practically impossible to find used. So, in the homeschool bookstore Wednesday...in the free section...what do I see poking out from under a textbook? A copy in a 3-ring binder! I think someone got/used it at a seminar or confrence. I was so excited!! Free!

I am so happy we have a VHS player still. It is so easy to find movies on almost any topic for $1, or free. 

My daughter just got really into ancient Egypt, so now we're doing a unit. We're mummifying a thrift store doll this week. She is retaining more info on this than almost any other subject that's been put in front of her.