Menu

S/O: Dishwasher loading

DawnM

We have skinny plates and our dishwasher is still a pain to load. The peg configuration is all wrong. I am glad I did finally break down and buy a dishwasher though. Washing dishes for ten people eating 3+ meals a day would send me over the edge. I drive my husband nuts because I always rearrange the bowls. He lays all of them flat, facing down. They take up the whole stinking thing! I do occasionally have a dish or two that needs to be sent through a second time, but I can wash three times as many dishes per load when I put the dishes in.

Ps- we just got a new dishwasher and I HATE having the silverware on the door. Does anyone like this? Ugh.

That's one of my favorite features. :-) I will *always* buy dishwashers with the silverware rack on the door. :D   It allows for so much more space on the bottom rack.

I'll throw out my vote on the silverware here, because I've always wanted to share this opinion, but silverware should be mixed, not segregated by type.

:cheers2:

The OCD/Mr. Monk in me wants to put each kind of utensil with others of the same kind, but I know that's a recipe for disaster, so I OCD-ishly mix them up. :-)

So, I'm not that picky...but can we talk about teens who stuff the washing machine WAY TOO FULL so that the clothes can't really wash?

My kids aren't quite teens yet, but that sort of thing would quickly earn them the opportunity to wash their own clothes and sheets separate from the rest of the house.   Right now, I wash everything, as long as their laundry is sorted and in the laundry room before breakfast on washing days.   If they forget, they do their own laundry after I'm finished.

Speaking of OCD, I don't know what I'd do without my Asko dishwasher.  Its tines are closer together so I can get lots of skinny plates in, it has space for three carefully arranged levels of dishes, and it is tall so I can fit my barkeeper's friend prescrubbed 16 quart stainless steel pot on the bottom rack.

Our old Asko died last summer, and I almost cried when dh told me I might not get another one.  Fortunately the local store had one left, the floor model that had been sitting there for 2 years.  Apparently no one else in my town shares my love for Swedish dishwashers.

I've let DH load the dishwasher, when I'm not home.  Seriously, how can so few dishes take up so much space?  My bowls go on top in the center bowl isle.  I have many different shapes and sizes of bowls so if you alternate them then they don't spoon, and will have a better chance of coming clean.  Another option is to put them in the cup isles. Slightly tipped and alternating sizes/shapes.

I hate it too! The bottom rack is smaller and I don't have the option to remove the silverware rack to make more room like I did before.

Do you think it's smaller? Because I can fit way more dishes on the bottom rack of my Whirlpool than my dd can fit on the bottom of her Bosch. Actually, when I compare dishwashers in the store, the bottom rack of the Whirlpool looks bigger than all of the others.

Do you think it's smaller? Because I can fit way more dishes on the bottom rack of my Whirlpool than my dd can fit on the bottom of her Bosch. Actually, when I compare dishwashers in the store, the bottom rack of the Whirlpool looks bigger than all of the others.

I have used about 6 different Whirlpools with the same layout (over my lifetime), and then I got a Bosch. I was really worried about the silverware thing--I can get as many dishes in my Bosch (and maybe more) than I could in my Whirlpool. And that's with the big silverware basket, not the two-piece kind (I thought I was getting two-piece). It may depend a great deal on what kind of dishes and pots you have as well as how many of each kind of dish you typically use in a day. 

Ok, VENT away!  How do you PROPERLY load a dishwasher?????

My answer is that there are lots of ways--more ways to get right than to get wrong. However, my husband is out to prove me wrong, one load at a time. I never knew just how many wrong ways there are. He's been banned from the dishwasher until he gets around to taking photos of the thing properly loaded, printing them out, and then following the visual aid. (And the dumb thing comes with a book already that has pictures with dishes strikingly similar to ours for crying out loud.)

I honestly don't care if every load is maximized as long as it is clean. I don't mind if someone does it differently than me. But for the love of all things beautiful, if you aren't going to be filling and running the whole thing yourself, don't make me have to unload 2/3 of a dishwasher of dirty dishes because you've left no possible way for me to fill it the rest of the way. That's just gross. Stay away if you can't stop sabotaging the rest of us.

Please clean starchy crud and big chunks off of stuff before putting them in the dishwasher. The rest usually comes off. That was my only rule pre "hubby tried to fill the dishwasher." 

The ten year old is gaining incredible proficiency, so hope lives on. 

My only dishwashing rule: don't put my good knife or mixer attachments in the dishwasher. Don't do it. I know where you live, I cook your food and you know my knife is large and very very sharp. ;)

I've had that conversation.... :glare:

I was asked why a good knife is so good if you can't put it in the dishwasher.  I said I can't put you in the dishwasher.  Does that mean you aren't any good?!  LOL 

Usually cups, glasses, and bowls go on top. Usually cups/glasses on the outside rows, and bowls in the middle.

Plates on the bottom. All going in one direction ideally towards the center (well both sides face inward).

Big serving ware on top..like spatulas. Most silverware in the holder.

If we have lots of bowls (or whatever) they spill over to the bottom, unless they are plastic or something.

Perfect! Excellent. You know the drill to a Tee. :)