Menu

Flu even after shot?

Only me

My 16 year old has had the flu two years in a row so this year I had him get the flu shot. He got it over a month ago. He woke up ok yesterday but quickly developed symptoms last night. I was hoping it was just a cold but now he has a 102 fever. Have any of you come down with the flu this year even after getting the shot? I've heard that the shot they made this year isn't the right strain.

I will see how he does today and take him to the doctor to tomorrow if he still has the high fever or tonight if he gets worse. I just got over the mumps so I'm praying it isn't that. My symptoms presented in a different way but it's on my mind. I would feel horrible if I gave it to him. He goes to public school too so I would worry about him giving it to other people. On top of that he starts finals on Friday. They has two snow days last week so finals were pushed back two days. I hate winter and sickness!

It's been widely reported in the media that this year's vaccine missed the mark a bit.  One of the main strains of flu this year mutated slightly after the vaccine was formulated.  That mutation was significant enough to render the vaccine less effective than in past years.  Many medical experts say it still probably offers some benefit -- that people who've been vaccinated and still get the flu may not get as sick as those who haven't been vaccinated.

I hope your son recovers quickly!

Agreeing that this year's vaccine does not have the most prevalent strain for the type A flu--about 2/3 of cases are the mutation while 1/3 match the type in the vaccine. Also keep in mind that even at the height of flu season, only a bout a third of the tests of people with obvious flu-like illnesses actually test positive for influenza--there are lots of similar viruses making people sick out there.

Flu here, and I was in the hospital for it along with 90 other patients a few weeks ago.  Yes, 90 patients admitted.  That's a lot for our small hospital.  Hospital staff was all talking about the ineffective vaccine this year, due to the mutations.  

If he's just coming down with it - Tamiflu?  

My 16 year old has had the flu two years in a row so this year I had him get the flu shot. He got it over a month ago. He woke up ok yesterday but quickly developed symptoms last night. I was hoping it was just a cold but now he has a 102 fever. Have any of you come down with the flu this year even after getting the shot? I've heard that the shot they made this year isn't the right strain.

I will see how he does today and take him to the doctor to tomorrow if he still has the high fever or tonight if he gets worse. I just got over the mumps so I'm praying it isn't that. My symptoms presented in a different way but it's on my mind. I would feel horrible if I gave it to him. He goes to public school too so I would worry about him giving it to other people. On top of that he starts finals on Friday. They has two snow days last week so finals were pushed back two days. I hate winter and sickness!

That's awful.  I pray he recovers quickly.  Did your mumps start with a high fever (I had mumps but do not remember)?

No actually I didn't have a fever at first just a sore and swollen jaw. The problem is I have other medical issues so I'm on Prednosone and pain killers which probably masked some of the symptoms early on such as fever and some of the swelling and pain. I didn't have a fever until 5 days into it which isn't normal. I didn't have cold symptoms except for a sore throat a week into it. My son has cold type symptoms.

The Influenza A that was in the shot has mutated (drifted), so some people are still getting A, even after getting a flu shot.

ETA: I will also say that I think there are a lot of people who didn't get the flu shot this year because of the drifted A strain. Information was released about that early on in the flu season. But, there are other strains going around other than the drifted A. I lot of people have other strains that the shot may have prevented (although no vaccine is 100%). 

My grandmother was hospitalized with the flu despite having the flu shot.  Of course, she is as stubborn as they come and was sick for over a week before my aunt drug her to the hospital.  Now she is on oxygen and possibly will be on oxygen until her end due to damage caused to her lungs by the flu (which could have been prevented most likely if she would have went to the hospital sooner).  She said that there were a lot of people there with the flu as well, despite most people in her area getting the flu shot.  The flu scares her this year, so she is super concerned about my children getting the flu.  I have to feel loved that she called me to tell me to not let my kids get the flu this year after getting out of the hospital.

I am not sure if I had the "flu" or just another virus but I had the flu shot.  I got sick Thursday.  I felt a bit tired early in the day but did all of my normal stuff but about 3pm got hit with it and watched my temp climb to 103.7 when I finally gave in and took some meds.  By Friday morning I was about 60-75% better.  About 90% better on Saturday and other than a lingering couch (history of asthma here) I am fine.

I have heard of others in the area that were down for a week with a similar bug.

Since we didnt' go to the doctor and get tested I can't say for sure what it was exactly but if it was the flu, the shot seemed to help shorten the duration.

So far no one else in the family has had it so I am praying they will all avoid it.  I am the one who generally does NOT get sick and it has been years since I have run a temp.