Menu

ELTL, CAP, TC?

Coco_Clark

I'm trying to come up with some sort of writing plan for the next few years. For some reason I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around a writing progression.

My DS is in 1st grade and using ELTL 1. This has been a very gentle year. Maybe too gentle. But he is also a reluctant writer, so that is probably a good thing.

Next year for 2nd grade I'm planning on ELTL 2, it looks like a pretty good jump up in difficulty in the grammar and copywork department, but not so much in writing. I'm wondering, if I want DS to be able to enter a program like TC or CAP in 3rd or 4th grade, will ELTL get him there? Or should I have a bridge or supplementary program? Has anyone made that jump? Did you go ELTL2 --> CAP/TC or ELTL3--> CAP/TC?

Using BOTH ELTL and CAP at the same time seems like it would be repetitive and a bit of overkill, is that right? Using ELTL and CAP and TC definitely so.

I guess I'm interested in the writing progression of any family using any one of those programs. I'm also interested in Brave Writer, as we already follow the lifestyle. But this is a kid that enjoys very direct and specific instruction so I'm not sure it would be a good fit. It seems very creative and "loose".

I am not all that familiar with ELTL as we haven't used it (only have looked at samples).  We used WWE for 1st and 2nd grade and attempted the leap to Writing Strands this year and that was just too much (fine for the first bit but got to be too much).  We just started the CAP- Fables samples and are finding it to be a good match (a bit on the easy side).  I just purchased TC as well planning to use it after Fables.  Although we haven't used it yet it seems so nice and gentle and completely adaptable to be able to meet your child where they are at (taking longer on certain lesson as needed, stopping to bring in other resources, etc.)  I have looked at Brave Writing a lot too. I love the looks of it but agree it would almost be too loose for us.

My son is using TC this year and will use ELTL 3 next year. I think either progression (ELTL 2 ----- TC ---- ELTL 3 or ELTL 3 ----TC) would be fine. The reason I chose to use TC first is because I want to move on to writing across the curriculum. I plan to use ELTL 3 next year, and also have him writing paragraphs from history and science topics.