Menu

Saxon vs All about Reading

mom2agang

I've used Saxon Phonics over the years, off and on (more off than on to be honest) and it works but compared to All About Reading it is dry, dry, dry.  My two youngest are using Levels 1 and 2 of AAR and they love it.  It's very engaging.  They love the little worksheets that are included for almost all lessons (completely unnecessary but my kids love to do arts and craft stuff so glue is always good.  They love the reading books and the stories and the illustrations in the stories.  

I've used Saxon Phonics k-1 then I quit because he was reading and grade two looked like it was half review. Now I wish I would have finished it because I'm a person that likes to complete things. My son loved the attention from mom it required. We were doing Saxon Math at the same time. It made him very solid and confident. He became bored of the little books though. I am not a craft person and liked that this was dry. I'm using Learning Through Sounds now with my next son because its dry and straight to the point. We wouldn't want something that takes as much time as Saxon now. It's a big bulky program but makes solid students for many different types of learners.