Menu

DD13 has mono

Freckles

My darling 13 year old daughter has mono. She is so tired. Has anyone else walked this path with their kids? Any helpful tips?

My biggest concern is school. She attends a private school. She has already been out for a week. The school nurse said she could come back for half days, but I work as a teacher there. I can't take her home during the middle of the day.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

I had mono in third grade. I was out for a month due to tiredness and enlarged spleen. After being out a month, I then went back for only half days (my grandparents picked me up at lunch) for another month due to fatigue.

:grouphug:  to your dd. I've said many times that I wouldn't wish mono on anyone. I had to take a nap after walking to the bathroom. It was awful!

I had mono in college. My throat was so swollen that I was hospitalized for one night near the end of spring break. I went back to school when spring break was over, living off-campus, working part-time, the usual, and was fine. I throw this out there only so you will know that the weeks of exhaustion that so many experience is not inevitable. I was sick for three or four days, two of which I spent at the beach sucking on lemon drops. I drove myself home from the beach--five hours--only to have my parents take a look at me and take me to the ER. So I was really sick, just not for long.

My DS had it in grade 1. He had to stay home because of the spleen thing, but he must have been very fortunate, as he wasn't very fatigued at all. Once the throat swelling went down, he was raring to go back to school, but couldn't. I kept him out a few extra days because it was the end of the year swimming day, and he wouldn't have been able to go anyway in case of sudden fatigue. Maybe he was lucky he got it at the end of the school year and had the summer off.

I hope your DD is feeling better soon.

I had it in my early 20's. I missed two weeks of work. The tiredness is just unreal. I remember waking up, eating breakfast, falling immediately back to sleep for 2-3 hours, and repeating this throughout the day. I was able to go back to work after two weeks, but I really didn't feel completely back to normal for about six months. Hope your dd is feeling better soon!

My dd had it when she was 16. For two weeks, she was either in bed or on the couch. She would wake up long enough to eat and go to the bathroom, but otherwise she was down for the count. She had to quit her job because she didn't know how long she would need to be off. She spent the next month getting tired easily, but nothing like the first two weeks. She was able to function but she could tell she was still sick. We were glad she was homeschooled because going to school would have been hard on her.

I remember she liked cold food better than hot food for those first two weeks. She would eat soup but she wanted it room temperature, not hot. I have no idea why, but it only lasted while she was extremely exhausted all of the time.

I have had mono three times and have always wondered if that first time, which was the worst time, if I hadn't pushed myself back to college after a week and a half if my health might not have been better in the future. Everytime for the next decade that I got stressed I ended up being really sick, sometimes with mono. I think I would keep her home with some schoolwork for at least another week.

My son had it this year.  He's away at college and was absolutely exhausted and kept going to the doctor.  He had strep throat three times and they never thought to test for mono.  He came home and I took him to the doc here and he was diagnosed.  He has had a VERY rough time.  After strep, he got bronchitis and then flu.  He has been sick on and off for five months.  I believe that if he'd been diagnosed right away, he may have actually taken the time to heal instead of pushing himself through classes.  ::(

Thank you for all of the replies. I'm going to have to have a meeting with her Principal to figure out a plan. I was going to send her today, but she was in tears last night from the exhaustion. If we were still homeschooling, this would be so much easier. I'll be honest that the thought of pulling her out of school for this semester and ordering CLE crossed my mind, but I teach at the school. I'm pretty sure pulling my own child would be frowned upon.

I'm also worried about sending her to school with so many young teachers who could be pregnant without saying anything yet. The mono test was inconclusive, but she has all of the symptoms. If it is CMV instead, that could be so dangerous for growing babies.

I'm probably over thinking it, but I'm worried about my baby. Have a great day!

I don't think you are overthinking it.

Mono does affect different people differently. And it can be quite dangerous.

My DH had mono in college and it didn't faze him.

I had mono a few years ago - at age 45. It took me more than a year to get over it, with swollen lymph nodes for 18 months. I did eventually test positive for Epstein Barre and CMV.

There were many days that all I could do was showers then nap, get up and eat a bit, then nap...

I had never heard of CMV prior to testing positive for it. It is so very harmful to developing babies. I would error on the side of caution.

I'll be honest that the thought of pulling her out of school for this semester and ordering CLE crossed my mind, but I teach at the school. I'm pretty sure pulling my own child would be frowned upon.

That might be true if you were rejecting the school in favor of homeschooling, but clearly you don't since you put her there to begin with.  I would strongly consider it, and if you do it, frame it in terms of a temporary medical situation.  Unless the people you work with are completely wackadoodle, I'm sure they'll understand.

Thank you for all of the replies. I'm going to have to have a meeting with her Principal to figure out a plan. I was going to send her today, but she was in tears last night from the exhaustion. If we were still homeschooling, this would be so much easier. I'll be honest that the thought of pulling her out of school for this semester and ordering CLE crossed my mind, but I teach at the school. I'm pretty sure pulling my own child would be frowned upon.

I'm also worried about sending her to school with so many young teachers who could be pregnant without saying anything yet. The mono test was inconclusive, but she has all of the symptoms. If it is CMV instead, that could be so dangerous for growing babies.

I'm probably over thinking it, but I'm worried about my baby. Have a great day!

Pull her out and order CLE.  Pulling your child out for a medical illness would not be frowned upon at all.  

And don't expect too much work out of her.  When my dd had mono, in 4th grade, she was only up to maybe an hour of school a day, if that.  So tired.