Menu

Classical Dual Enrollment Courses Online????

Looking for classes that are offered as dual enrollment courses for highschoolers that are actually classically based.  Looking particularly at the History, Lit., Bible and Rhetoric combo would be awesome!  The only one I am aware of is Potters with Belhaven U.  Anyone know of any others? Thanks for your help! 

Looking for classes that are offered as dual enrollment courses for highschoolers that are actually classically based.  Looking particularly at the History, Lit., Bible and Rhetoric combo would be awesome!  The only one I am aware of is Potters with Belhaven U.  Anyone know of any others? Thanks for your help! 

What about just looking for colleges offering the online courses you want without requiring students to be high school graduates?  

I say that because dual enrollment often comes down to semantics.  Will the college let a high school student enroll?  Will the high school accept college work as meeting the high school requirements.  But for homeschoolers, the decision to accept the work as high school credit rests with the family.

Thanks for your reply....I might need to explain a little more what I am looking for.  I really want my son to get a good classical education, but feel I am not able to provide all that he needs now and therefore am looking to outsource more courses.  I want him to take rigorous courses that make him think and that combine the history, lit and rhetoric aspect into one class.  I also would like it to be Christian based if possible.  He is very advanced and I can't compete with his mind....ha!  I don't want to settle for any CC classes because they are not all created equal and it seems that they don't compare to some of these online classical schools that are out there.  My cheap sides says why don't I find courses where he can get both credit for HS and college that are rigorous!  Is there anymore out there?  

Anyone taken courses at Belhaven out there?  How did it compare?  Thanks!

It sounds like you are looking for Omnibus by Veritas Press.  It is not dual enrollment, but it does exactly what you asked for in other regards.  Moreover, it basically removes the parent quite completely in talking with just the student.  The parent would need to be part of the discussions, but for much else, the student is working by themselves.  If I know right, they also offer courses online.  Though not dual enrolled.

My son has taken classes through Veritas and I like it well, just thought if there were any other courses that offered dual enrollment he could get both college and HS credit and it would be cheaper for me not to have to pay for the class in HS and college... :hurray:  He is so ready for college work but it seems to me that the CC here and a few online places that I am aware of that would allow him to take classes are not that rigorous and so my main focus is for him to have a solid HS education.  Just thought if there was both out there that would be great, otherwise I'll just keep finding classes like Veritas and others that offer classes that I am looking for.  Thanks for the ideas though!

Have heard great things about Lukeion, we just haven't tried that route..:) 

I'll check into the Cairn College...thanks for sharing!

www.greatbooksacademy.com. Or angelicum academy.com. Great books program.

I believe you can do an extra paper or two a semester and can get college credit.. Highly reccomend the moderators especially Dr. Steve Berducci. The courses are pretty expensive, but they do consist of a 2 hour discussion over the great books. Hope that helps.

Thanks Michelle for the idea.... have looked at them since that is one of my son's college choices for the future, but they are not classical and from what I have seen and I don't believe the rigor is there either...:(  Sad though, both my hubby and I graduated there.  Hoping to give him a great education before heading off to wherever he goes for college while I still have a say in his education...ha!

• 11 months later...

My son has taken classes through Veritas and I like it well, just thought if there were any other courses that offered dual enrollment he could get both college and HS credit and it would be cheaper for me not to have to pay for the class in HS and college... 

Just throwing in that it will *totally* depend on what future 4-year college your student attends as to whether or not that school will accept any dual enrollment as knocking out credits towards a degree program, and thus saving you future $$. Every college has its own policy.

Also, some colleges cap the total number of college credits (from dual enrollment, CLEP, online college courses, etc.) that a just-graduated high school student can have and still be considered a freshman, instead of a transfer student. Some colleges cap it at 60 credits (typically 15-20 classes), some cap it at 23-24 credits (6-8 classes), and a few cap it at 12 credits (3-4 classes). Why that is important to consider is because the majority of scholarships go to freshmen -- much less scholarship money is available to transfer students. Also, far more of the freshmen scholarships are renewable (the student is able to reapply for that scholarship each year of college), while most transfer student scholarships are one-time awards.

If DS knows which colleges he wants to apply to already, you might look at those schools and do online courses with them now, as credits taken as dual enrollment with a specific university should be accepted towards college credit at that school later on…

Another option: CLEP tests. Have your student take high quality classical coursework, whether high school classes or college/dual enrollment classes, and then at the end, have DS study the corresponding CLEP booklet, pay the testing fee (usually $100-125), and earn the college credit that way. Again, you would first want to know about the future university's policies on CLEP -- does the college accept CLEP (credit by exam), and if so, which *specific* CLEP tests are accepted for credits that apply towards a specific degree (and are not just accepted as "electives", which do NOT work towards a degree).

Or, as Joules mentioned above, College Plus helps you knock out a college degree in two years via distance classes and CLEP tests while simultaneously finishing high school. They do work with you as much as possible, but I don't think they have a "classical" track of coursework. I know 2 home schooled young ladies who earned their college degrees this way, and know of a 3rd homeschool young lady still in process. It definitely requires perseverance and a high ability to self-study and be the type of student who does well with testing to go this route. There are no scholarships or discounts or financial aid helps for this program, but if you can complete this route, a college degree ends up only costing around $13,000-15,000, with no need for additional college costs, such as activity fees, transportation, room & board, etc.

And, finally another option: how about switching your choice of dual enrollment courses around? Instead of the rigorous classical Social Sciences/Literature courses as dual enrollment (instead, do those at home), how about knocking out some of the Foreign Language, advanced Math, and Natural Sciences at your local community college, and that would be required credits towards a college degree?

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Thanks so much Lori for your lengthy comments!  So much too consider and I appreciate you taking the time!  It is such a hard decision.  Part of me wants to hold on and cram in as much as I can into that mind of his but I know he wants to just go on an get enough college done while he can while in HS.  He has taken classes at Bluefield College this year and has really liked them and done well.  The price is right at just under $150 a COURSE!  The college he wants to attend transfers all of their classes and there is no limit for freshman status.  He wants to either double major early or get his masters at the end of his 4 yr. time at the college.  Such a hard decision.  I am going to ponder awhile on your comments!  Thanks again!  And any other thoughts are welcome!

Thanks so much Lori for your lengthy comments!  So much too consider and I appreciate you taking the time!  It is such a hard decision.  Part of me wants to hold on and cram in as much as I can into that mind of his but I know he wants to just go on an get enough college done while he can while in HS.  He has taken classes at Bluefield College this year and has really liked them and done well.  The price is right at just under $150 a COURSE!  The college he wants to attend transfers all of their classes and there is no limit for freshman status.  He wants to either double major early or get his masters at the end of his 4 yr. time at the college.  Such a hard decision.  I am going to ponder awhile on your comments!  Thanks again!  And any other thoughts are welcome!

That's a fabulous opportunity! :)

Honestly, it may be time to let go and let this baby bird fly; it sure sounds like he knows what he wants to do, and that he's ready to step into the big leagues of more college, so it may be time to let go of your nicely laid plans and let him take the reins. :)

I think all of us homeschooling moms would LOVE to keep our kids at home and homeschool them until they are 30-35yo, just so we can use ALL of that wonderful curricula out there and to make sure there are "no gaps" anywhere, no important Literature left un-read, and to have covered that 4-year chronological classical history cycle at least 6-8 times -- LOL!

BEST of luck as you and your DS discuss and decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2