Menu

Illinois: Mixing it up

Guest writermom333

Guest writermom333

Hi there!

I know there is a term for what we are doing, but i can't remember it, so I call  it 'mixing it up' :)  Basically, my dd (8th grade) does Math and Science at home and then goes to public school for the rest of the day.  This has worked pretty well, but now we are nearing the end of Jr. High and the school hasn't told me if they will actually promote my daughter to high school.  She is making A's and B's in her public school classes, since we took the stress off by doing her two most difficult subjects at home.  But will they consider her 'promotable'?

We know she will not be allowed to graduate with her high school class if she continues to homeschool, even for two subjects.  I understand she will still be able to attend our local junior college with her transcripts, but she insists that she wants to graduate with a diploma from the HS.  Our daughter has been tested three times through the district, the last time by an outside psychologist.  The first two times she was labeled 'at risk for failure' due to unspecified learning challenges.  She does not qualify for an IEP (still not sure why) and has never had a 504.  The most recent testing was done in 5th grade and the findings were that she has 'indicators' of dyslexia (we had a tutor for her for three years who used the Orton-Gillingham model.  ) Her processing is a bit slower, and she needs extra time to complete her assignments.  

This sounds very clinical and unemotional, but believe me, it hasn't been.  I have battled the school district since PRE-SCHOOL!  We are at a loss about what to do now.  If she continues with homeschooling those two subjects, she will not graduate with her class and that is very important to her.  If we put her back into public school math and science, I'm pretty sure she will be completely lost, and the stress will come back to our family.

I could really use some advice from someone who has dealt with this situation.  I am located in Central Illinois.

Thanks!

Debbi

If the school district has been a battle since pre-k, why sign on for high school?  Why does dd insist on a hs diploma from the ps? Could she be swayed by some classes at a cc or co-op? Art/music/etc...  Is this a social thing?  Are there other ways to fulfill that need?

I've never dealt with this, but I replied anyway. I'd be unsure what to do in your shoes.

As someone not far from you, I'm amazed you found such an accommodating school district!  I don't know anyone IRL who has gotten the schools to allow part time enrollment like that.  You'd have to talk to the local Superintendent for more specific info, but I can't imagine that they would give her a Diploma unless she does all of her courses through them. 

We are also in Central Illinois, and my oldest took a class at the high school for one year. At our district there was no way she would get a diploma without attending full time; and the extra problem was that any class she took at home they would not count. So she couldn't enroll as a senior just to get a diploma - they would not have counted the credits she earned at home.

What is the reason your dd wants a diploma from that high school? Does she have a close group of friends outside of school? Is she concerned about college admittance? I really do not see away around the stress of full time enrollment if a diploma from that school is that important. If you would like to PM me, feel free.

I don't live in central Illinois - more Chicago 'burbs.  DD is attending high school part time and our district is very accomodating for taking classes at the public schools.  She is taking Chemistry and Art right now and may take Honors Mircrobiology, Art and Spanish next year.  If we had wanted her to get a diploma from the school, I would have had to jump through a lot of hoops to get our home classes approved.  I didn't want to do that and I didn't really care about their diploma (which shocked a few people ... "But it is such a good school!".)  So, I told them that I would be issuing her a diploma and that we would be using them as an outside provider of academic content.  They were coolo with that.  Even if she starts attending full time, she will not get a diploma from them.  And that would be fine.  I graduated 2 kids from our home school and they are both successful college students and decent LACs.  We like the flexibility that homeschooling provides, but need more support for some classes until she is ready for college classes.  Plus, dd likes having more social activities that high school provides. 

I am also in the burbs of Chicago to the north. My daughter went to public school thru 7th grade (started in CT and moved to IL in 2010) and then stayed home for 8th. The middle school allowed her to remain in the band program and they actually let her go thru graduation and gave her a diploma. She wanted to take a few classes at the high school this year so she is doing choir, band and biology. She is not sure what she wants to take next year other than band. She will probably not take another core class like English or science again, she was not really enjoying the way they taught and tested in her bio class. She will probably stick with fun classes like photography, art, maybe Latin, and woodworking or shop. The high school will not give her a diploma unless she completes all of her classes at the HS, they will not accept homeschool classes, so we will have a mixed transcript of homeschooled, online and public school classes and maybe a few cc classes by the end. By taking classes part time she is eligible to participate in extra curricular activities like pep band, marching band, clubs and groups, so she has plenty of social interaction.

What is it about a diploma from the HS that is so important to her?