Menu

TLC's My Husband's Not Gay

Katy

You don't think any of those things has anything to do with being healthy and happy alone versus with a supportive partner?

Of course a supportive partner, if that is what you want is better. But what if you can't get one for WHATEVER reason. My point is at that point it is better to be positive and focus on the good things.

Conversely one could be married and miserable.....in that case it is best to focus on the positives also.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't this effectively result in polygyny in the afterlife?

Also (random question) does the LDS church have a policy for converts in other countries where polygyny is legal?

Why yes, yes the church's policy does result in eternal polygyny. I hope you read Laura's explanation.

Perhaps she will weigh in on the other question, as I don't know the answer to that.

So, relatives make the case for the deceased people to be sealed in Heaven? Or is that a process you start before death? If the former, what if I didn't want to be sealed to the man I was going to be sealed to after I died? Can I write in my will "don't seal me to that bozo!"?

Doesn't this effectively result in polygyny in the afterlife?

Also (random question) does the LDS church have a policy for converts in other countries where polygyny is legal?

You can't convert unless you divorce the "extra" spouses. Ironically, Community of Christ (the church that has the same origins as the LDS church but parted ways over polygamy) allows polygamous families to join because they believe it is wrong to separate families.

Wait, are you talking about the science writer? The guy who writes about space?

Oh, googled, two different guys, okay, I was thinking I had skipped a chapter somewhere.

Here is the errr...plan?

http://staroversky.com/blog/15-minute-female-orgasm-simple-visual-guide

Pearl clutchers should probably avert their eyes.

ETA: my tired eyes misinterpreted one of those drawings and I was thinking "WOWZA, OUCH" but then refocused and figured out what was actually happening.

I have clutched the pearls so hard, it's now a diamond necklace.

So, relatives make the case for the deceased people to be sealed in Heaven? Or is that a process you start before death? If the former, what if I didn't want to be sealed to the man I was going to be sealed to after I died? Can I write in my will "don't seal me to that bozo!"?

Most of the ceremonies in LDS temples are done by proxy. Living LDS members stand in for deceased people. It's common to do the work for your family members. I think you're supposed to get the consent of the family for people who died recently, but whether or not that's respected is variable.

I have clutched the pearls so hard, it's now a diamond necklace.

While I appreciate a good diamond as next as the next gal, might I propose an alternative? Instead of clutching the pearls, try twirling them with a "come hither" look to your lover.

:coolgleamA:

It is typically relatives that submit names, based on genealogical research. So names of deceased relatives.

Funny you should ask about wanting to not be sealed to one's husband posthumously. That exact situation occurred in my family. My paternal grandparents were married civilly, but not sealed in the temple. My grandfather abandoned his deaf wife and their three children when my father, the eldest, was five years old. No contact or support. My grandmother gave explicit instructions that she was NOT to be sealed to her ex after her death. That request was honored by her daughters (my father died very soon after his mother passed) but was disregarded by a more distant relative. So she is sealed to someone she most vehemently did not want to be. Posthumously, of course.

Rosie, please forgive me if I have offended you. It seems the thread has taken a turn toward discussing your precious boy who died. I was NOT talking about that at all in this thread about life partners.

FWIW, I thought you were talking about romantic partners, and it hadn't even occurred to me that anyone would think you were referring to anything beyond that.

It is typically relatives that submit names, based on genealogical research. So names of deceased relatives.

Funny you should ask about wanting to not be sealed to one's husband posthumously. That exact situation occurred in my family. My paternal grandparents were married civilly, but not sealed in the temple. My grandfather abandoned his deaf wife and their three children when my father, the eldest, was five years old. No contact or support. My grandmother gave explicit instructions that she was NOT to be sealed to her ex after her death. That request was honored by her daughters (my father died very soon after his mother passed) but was disregarded by a more distant relative. So she is sealed to someone she most vehemently did not want to be. Posthumously, of course.

That is terrible! What reason would a distant relative have to want two dead people sealed??

That is terrible! What reason would a distant relative have to want two dead people sealed??

To be clear, these are all Mormons we are talking about. A little over enthusiastic about doing what they are supposed to do. Didn't they think someone much closer to the situation would have that sorted out???

ETA I guess I should say that this is all part of what the LDS do. It is why they are so big into genealogy. Helping your dead relatives by performing ordinances they might not have had the chance to do for themselves. It is necessary to be baptized in the LDS church to qualify for admission into the highest level of heaven.

I've never heard that using the term gay means engaging in sexual activities. Is that honestly a thing or is that just a few pockets or people/regions? I really don't understand that thinking at all.

I also completely disagree that happiness is all about attitude. If only it were that simple.

My sister is straight but never married. She is surrounded by good friends, volunteers like crazy, and has a very rewarding career. She still admits to knowing she would be happier and more fulfilled with a mate and having had children. It seems cruel to me to tell some they need to decide early on not to have those things because of who they are attracted to and actually love.

I did not read Scarlett saying that attitude can solve any unhappiness...just that if you find yourself in an unhappy situation which may be outside your control, your attitude and focus can have a great deal (but not all) to do with how you can get through things.  Of course it does not make all those other factors (depression, etc) go away.  I don't see that she said it did.  

I've never heard that using the term gay means engaging in sexual activities. Is that honestly a thing or is that just a few pockets or people/regions? I really don't understand that thinking at all.

I also completely disagree that happiness is all about attitude. If only it were that simple.

My sister is straight but never married. She is surrounded by good friends, volunteers like crazy, and has a very rewarding career. She still admits to knowing she would be happier and more fulfilled with a mate and having had children. It seems cruel to me to tell some they need to decide early on not to have those things because of who they are attracted to and actually love.

Up here, if someone referred to themselves as gay or straight it would insinuate that they were willing or interested in sexual activity with the same or opposite sex. I would not be interested in sex with the same sex as this point since I'm married to the opposite sex so to use the term gay or lesbian on me would cause quite a stir around here. If pushed I would say I have chosen to lead a straight life despite what I may or may not be sexually attracted to.

It isn't cruel if you believe you are pleasing God.

And she can't possible 'know' she would be happier with a mate and children. She may understandably long for those things, but it is Impossible to know if she would be happier with those things.