Menu

80th b'day party, guest book

athomeontheprairie

We're having a birthday party to celebrate my dh's grandfathers 80th birthday. We are expecting around 200 people.

I like to put together a guestbook for people to sign so that he has a keepsake.

but I'd like it to be more than a traditional "sign your name" guestbook. I'm really looking for suggestions, hive! for you creative types, what would you do?

it's a come and go event.

For a friend's wedding recently, we got the couple a print that had spaces for guests to sign and leave well wishes (in this case it was a tree and guests signed the leaves, but I'm sure there are many variations on this general idea). After the wedding we had it matted and framed, and they now have it hanging by their bed. It's a sweet reminder of their special day and good friends that they can enjoy every day and not have just tucked away in a drawer.

I've also seen platters that can be signed (and then baked so the ink becomes permanent).

It's sweet of you to think of this! :)

I've seen it now where instead of a book, they give the guests a page. At one wedding I went to awhile ago there were sort of choices. You could have a traditional page with just a place for your names and a box for well wishes. But there were a couple of others with more prompts like specific memories of the couple and a place to draw a little picture. It was kind of funny, but I think if people really did some of them, it would be cool. We wrote funny wishes on ours and having these slightly quirky prompts definitely freed us into feeling like that was a good idea.

I've seen it now where instead of a book, they give the guests a page. At one wedding I went to awhile ago there were sort of choices. You could have a traditional page with just a place for your names and a box for well wishes. But there were a couple of others with more prompts like specific memories of the couple and a place to draw a little picture. It was kind of funny, but I think if people really did some of them, it would be cool. We wrote funny wishes on ours and having these slightly quirky prompts definitely freed us into feeling like that was a good idea.

This is sorta what I have in my head. Do you remember what those quirky prompts might have been?

For our wedding we took pictures of all our guests and left space in the guest book to attach them later. It has been a wonderful memory especially since my husband and I didn't necessarily know each other's extended families or family friends at the time.

The new trend at parties is a photo booth which is really just a fun background and maybe some props. You could ask someone to be in charge of making sure all the guests have their picture taken even if you choose not to use props. I probably wouldn't for an 80th birthday party. Later you could load those pictures on a digital frame or make a book through Shutterfly or a similar service.

For my FIL's 80th, we had a come and go tea and then a family dinner in the evening.  We had a video guest book set up, so that everyone popped in front of the video camera (manned by one of the grandsons) to say their name and a few words to FIL.  That got edited and made into a DVD for him.  We also uploaded it to one family member's social media account so that people who couldn't make it could view it, too.

It worked really well and FIL loved it.  In hindsight, we wished we had invited people who couldn't come to record their own video, as well.