Menu

What do you and/or your family members collect?

Indian summer

I collect French coffee presses and Nemadji pottery.  But I don't like to spend very much on them, so I usually find them at thrift stores!  I don't collect these now, but I also have a collection of blue ball jars, about 30 of them...most are 2 quart size.  They were found in my husband's great grandmother's attic 20 years after she died.  Her house was a rental and her attic never cleaned out until then!  

Knitting needles and yarn. :laugh:

A long time ago I collected depression glass; just cups and saucers. But that didn't last long.

Dd collects Littlest Pet Shop figurines. It's her latest obsession.

Dh collects books.

Neither ds collects anything. Though sometimes I find a big collection of empty seltzer cans on ds2's desk. :glare:

I collect books on music, mostly rock and punk from the last 30 years. Musician memoirs, biographies, critiques, etc. 

I also collect vintage homemaking and etiquette type books. 

I collect drum kit paraphernalia, but sporadically. Most of the pieces I'm interested in are out of my price range. 

I collect inexpensive but unusual gems, homeschool curriculum, and small, brainless dogs.

DH also mentioned the 40 or so land hermit crabs rustling around in the 100 gallon tank next to us. One of them is sitting on a branch, and I would swear he is watching the soccer game on tv. I wonder how one sees soccer with compound eyes? :zombie:

My husband has a small rock collection.  He teaches geology, so it makes sense.

I don't collect things.  I'm a minimalist at heart, so unless it's going to serve a purpose I don't want it. The fabric I've collected has been for specific quilts I've made or will make a project or two down my list.

We have a lot of books (about 3,000 in our home library) but we've read almost every single one at least once and a sizable percentage of them several times.

I collect questions for conversations for get togethers for people who don't know each other very well.

We collect currency all though we haven't gotten anything new in 4 yrs. We came by a lot of ours through me being a gas station clerk and some from a neighbor in GA (he was a Veitnam veteran).

We took our kids to the currency museum in Ottawa a couple of summers ago and bought souvenir bags of currency from around the world (low denomination coins). Those are fun to look through and figure out what's written on them, what language it is, where they're from. Fun stuff. We also collect State quarters and special edition canadian coins too as they come out. 

Christmas ornaments. Anything sentimental that I want to keep, I turn into a Christmas ornament. My son's name tags from the summer camp he adores? Stick a hook in them, and they are ornaments. The ribbon from the bouquet I caught at a friend's wedding 20 years ago? A rice bag from my own wedding? Yep. Tags from the collar of our beloved late golden retriever. We ooh and ahhh over them every Christmas, and then we pack them up January 1. Every family trip gets a souvenir ornament.

I love Christmas and hate clutter. This is perfect for me.

My MIl started me a collection of Jim Shore santas and snow men.   She gets me one every year (this year she couldn't decide so she got me two)  so i have about 8 or so now. They go well with my decor and I really like them, so I don't mind that she gets them for me.  :0) 

My daughter collects snowmen too. She would love those. 

I thought of more. I collect small pieces of sea glass and driftwood that I keep in a fillable lamp. I also collect concert tickets. 

I never thought of myself as a collector, until this thread, lol. 

I collect stamps from many countries. My elementary convent school has a afterschool stamp club run by a teacher. I also collect coins. My former neighbors back home would supply me postmarked stamps from their business correspondences when I was young.

My kids have a boxful each of their favorite stuff. They "collect" stuff toys like me.

When we go on vacation we purchase books and watercolors/sketches of places we see, then frame them. I collect pitchers and snowflake Christmas ornaments. And while I don't intentionally collect them, I'm supposed to limit my purchases of clocks and decorative mirrors. :-) My husband doesn't collect anything, and for that I'm truly thankful.

I collect Corelle dishes with the Crazy Daisy pattern and vintage Pyrex.  I also have a rather nice collection of vintage tins that are really just part of our farmhouse decor.  They just find their way to our house.  

One of my daughters collects cameras.  She has a nice stash thanks to her grandfather's penchant for yard sales and auctions.

One collects record albums.  

My oldest collects collections.  She has a hat collection, a book collection, a map collection, a flying things collection (see where I'm going with this one?)

My husband is trying to collect antique tractors. The full sized ones.  :glare:

We collect currency all though we haven't gotten anything new in 4 yrs. We came by a lot of ours through me being a gas station clerk and some from a neighbor in GA (he was a Veitnam veteran).

I forgot dh used to collect foreign money when he was in the military and traveled the globe a bit more.

And back in the day (showing my age here) I collected match books. Remember those? Restaurants used to have them and I'd always snag one even though I didn't//don't smoke. We occasionally use matches and some of them still work! I wrote the date when I got it in the cover; it's fun to remember the where and when of it.

Cat hair.  :lol:

I don't collect anything. Years ago I used to collect miniatures. I had several display boxes of tiny things on my walls. I even had an old printer's drawer I was so proud of. A collector's item in which to display my collection. :)

Eventually I got tired of dusting tiny things and I got rid of nearly all of them. I kept a few that have sentimental value and have them on a shelf, but most everything from those days is gone. 

I don't think I know anyone who collects anything these days. I didn't know it was even a thing anymore.

Neither dh, ds, nor dss collect anything. Ddil used to collect old Coca Cola stuff, but with two little ones, she's found that her money ends up going elsewhere. I don't know if she gave up collecting or put it on hold for a while.

I collect Polish stoneware. 

My son collects coins.

My daughter has a large collection of super balls from the dentist office...there are other prizes to choose but she always takes a super ball.  She keeps them in a big plastic mayonnaise jar, and they're pretty and thankfully in one place!

My husband would probably say that he doesn't collect anything.  But he has a shirt collection.  I kept telling him to stop buying shirts and finally one day I had my son help me count and categorize all the shirts.  We presented our findings to my husband and that seemed to do the trick. 

Baedekers, though I haven't gotten any ages. I used to really be a collector of stuff but I've gotten rid of most of the various things. Things just mean less to me now, I think. But not long ago I thought about getting rid of these and instead I found myself carefully pulling and putting back the maps in one of the ones I have in German. I don't even speak German. I can't even say what it is that drew me to collecting these, but no way am I parting with them.

Dd is a pack rat so she collects everything.

Dh and I, books. I just started collecting tea pots. I have a huge shell and sea glass collection. I used to collect records until record player broke. Still have the records. I also like to collect fridge magnets to remind me of the places I have been. Also bookmarks for all my books. Lol

We collect magnets from places we travel.

When they were younger, my dad got my boys collecting coins, but I don't think they do much with that anymore other than keeping samples from countries they visit.

When I was younger I collected model horses.  I've been selling some off over the years, but still have a couple of boxes full waiting for me to get back to listing them again.

Otherwise, add us to the dust, cat hair, and clutter collectors.  Every now and then I work on fixing that.

Christmas ornaments. Anything sentimental that I want to keep, I turn into a Christmas ornament. My son's name tags from the summer camp he adores? Stick a hook in them, and they are ornaments. The ribbon from the bouquet I caught at a friend's wedding 20 years ago? A rice bag from my own wedding? Yep. Tags from the collar of our beloved late golden retriever. We ooh and ahhh over them every Christmas, and then we pack them up January 1. Every family trip gets a souvenir ornament.

I love Christmas and hate clutter. This is perfect for me.

GREAT idea!  I think I will borrow it!

DS - video games

DH - computer/ electronic stuff and string instruments

Dd - books

Me - at the moment, yarn

I JUST learned to knit. You can make a lot of scarves knowing just one stitch. It's easier than tying shoes. I always seem to need something 'new' for my brain to work on, so small knitting projects are fun right now. I teach a few dance classes and coming up with choreographies for them keeps me mentally and physically agile. I WISH I could get excited about home organization or decorating, but I just can't. I did develop a slight interest in gardening this past year, so I'll be drawing diagrams for spring gardens soon and attempting to start annuals indoors.

You could join or form a book club, or take a class, or decorate my house!

DH is a collector and completest by nature. He collects board games. He also collects "useful things" which are generally electronic and can be added together to make other things. He's interested in the Maker community so pretty much anything goes that he finds interesting. 

I would say I'm not a collector but if I turn around once or twice I'll plainly see that I must collect books...all kinds. 

One of my boys is also a collector at heart and used to keep weird piles of stuff in his room but has found in the last year or so that it's a lot less work if he doesn't collect anything (amen). 

we started the girls on stuffed animals - 1dd was polar bears, and 2dd was elephants.  2dd has gotten rid of most of her stuffed versions - but she has taken over one of 1dd's curios with elephants she's received as gifts from people. (1dd is excited she's moving out end of may.)  1dd and 1ds have started collecting anime figures.

I collect portmeirion . . . while they are my everyday dishes, I also have pieces I'm not sure I've ever used  . . . . (I was sulky after new years when dd didn't like what I was thinking of buying her for her bd - so I bought a piece for me I've wanted for a long time.)

Horses and ponies. And chickens. Though I am currently at an all-time low of 4 horses and something like 30-ish chickens.

I hate stuff. I don't want anything in my house. I have bookshelves--for books. No shelves, no curio cabinets. Nothing on the walls. I don't mind that my kids have stuff they play with, so there's plenty of that in baskets and in cabinets in the living room, but can't physically deal with little things around the place, like figurines or glass or knick-knacks or whathaveyou.

I do keep family photos, but they are all kept in a big antique trunk. Of course that's really not collecting.

I have some cool paintings/prints/concert posters/maps, but I can't figure out how or why I would put them on the walls anywhere. They're mostly wrapped cozy in flannel sheets under my bed. lol.

Seeing how much the horses cost me, I should take up some type of collecting. There's the initial investment, but stamps or coins or figurines of some sort don't eat or unexpectedly rack up expensive vet bills.

I collect books on music, mostly rock and punk from the last 30 years. Musician memoirs, biographies, critiques, etc.

I also collect vintage homemaking and etiquette type books.

I collect drum kit paraphernalia, but sporadically. Most of the pieces I'm interested in are out of my price range.

I have a book like this; it was my MIL's. It is fascinating! It is entitled, The Woman You Want to Be, by Margery Wilson.