Menu

Do you make your kids get dressed on days when you know you're not leaving the house?

ILiveInFlipFlops

There are a few days each week where I know where we're not leaving the house (because the other days are so full that I need those days at home to get stuff done and recharge). There's some disagreement here about whether or not we should get dressed, brush hair, etc. when we know we're not going anywhere that day. 

Practically speaking, it doesn't seem to make sense to get dressed in clean clothes that will probably get stained or smelly, just to take them off at the end of the day and get back into PJs. But I also know that getting dressed also seems to start the day off on a more efficient note, and we're all more productive when we get ready to face the public at the beginning of the day. 

What do you do? If you do make everyone get dressed and ready, how do you justify it? 

We would always get dressed every day, even during snowstorms when no one in the whole town was out.  I just think it motivates a person to be more productive, and I feel sloppy and lazy if I stay in pajamas all day.

But, that doesn't mean we put on new, fresh clothes everyday!  I often wear the same outfit for several days in a row.

I used to be a big stickler for getting dressed in the morning.  *I* still do; I function better if I look pulled together somewhat.

But once my boys got over 5' tall and their clothes got as big as mine (and they haven't even hit their REAL growth spurt yet!), and their laundry started taking up more space in the washer and dryer, I stopped being such a stickler about it. 

You've got to draw the line somewhere, but if one of them showers, then sleeps in a tshirt and athletic pants, wears it all the next day, then sleeps in it again, gets up and takes a shower--I've got ONE set of clothes to wash instead of the 3 sets if he had changed morning and night.

As long as they act productive, I'm good :)  And they don't seem to get bogged down in sleep mode just because they haven't changed clothes.

Also, I'm realizing that keeping them stocked in cheap athletic pants rather than more jeans and khakis might save me a bundle in the future--so if they lounge in them on at-home days, my wardrobe cost goes down--

B

I don't have to, they just get dressed. They do everything to get ready for their day. We usually don't go anywhere, but we do go outside, even if it is cold.

At what age would you decide that they have to start getting ready for the day if it has already been instilled in them that its okay to not brush hair, teeth, wash face or shower, get dressed, make bed?

I'm not being mean-spirited, just speaking from experience. Some of my kids used to think it was okay to not "get ready" for the day and it was sometimes a struggle to get them out of that mindset.

In my home, pjs is the same as being dressed. Not dressed would be no pants or no shirt. That being dressed being more efficient thing doesn't hold true in my home. We get as much done wearing pjs as we do while wearing street clothes. It's not the clothes that matter, it's the attitude and motivation to get done what needs to be done. Our attitudes and motivation aren't depending on what we're wearing.

I don't have to, they just get dressed. They do everything to get ready for their day. We usually don't go anywhere, but we do go outside, even if it is cold.

At what age would you decide that they have to start getting ready for the day if it has already been instilled in them that its okay to not brush hair, teeth, wash face or shower, get dressed, make bed?

I'm not being mean-spirited, just speaking from experience. Some of my kids used to think it was okay to not "get ready" for the day and it was sometimes a struggle to get them out of that mindset.

My kids DO have to get ready to face the day--brush their hair, make their bed, etc.  They just don't have to dirty up another pair of clothes :)

B

They make ME get dressed! Not one person in this house is on board with a Pajama Day. They think it's weird and feels funny. I cave to the ridicule and get dressed unless I'm sick. I do put off getting dressed as long as possible. I like to do messy chores in pjs then change to clean clothes for the remainder of the day. Nobody here sees the logic in this.

ETA: I can be fully productive in my pjs. Sometimes stopping chores to shower and dress slows the momentum and I switch to 'seat work' for the day.

There is an occasional Saturday exception, but generally we get dressed/brush teeth/brush hair every day. Today my 4yo is in pj's and will likely stay that way all day. However, she will get a bath and clean pj's before bed. I have a hard time imagining not getting dressed as a general rule. Is there some sort of limit? I mean, how many days does this 'pj to bed/pj as clothes' pattern continue? We aren't talking about stinky teens are we? That just sounds kinda icky, but maybe I'm picturing it all wrong...

We have a morning and evening routine that the kids go through every day including holidays and weekends. If I keep that simple routine in place, then I can take away or add whatever I need to from the rest of the day and the kids tend to stay fairly flexible and organized. Every morning they have breakfast, get dressed, brush their teeth, and make their beds. Every evening they put their p.j.'s on, brush their teeth and we have reading and devotions. Even when we aren't in the country we keep the morning and evening routine. By this point it's just a part of how they act. It's a deeply instilled habit.

I don't. They must brush their teeth and make their beds.

They usually get dressed before we leave the house in the afternoon. Working in pajamas or day clothes doesn't seem to make a difference in productivity.

My youngest will often get dressed on his own before starting school, though. I haven't asked him if he does it because it helps him seem more productive. I should ask him sometime. :)

Cat

What is this "not leaving the house" of which you speak? Days at home are so few and far between here that I don't really care if someone wants to stay in pajamas. My dds start taking some classes (band and science) at the middle school in 6th grade, so we've been leaving the house for years. Youngest dd's classes there are 6th and 7th period beginning at almost 2:00. She'll often stay in pj's while we home school in the morning. One of her New Year's resolutions was to "get dressed by 1:00." I have no problem with that. (she does take care of hygiene issues earlier--brush teeth, hair, etc.) Our lives are busy enough with other stuff--lots of kid activities in late afternoon and evening. They're allowed some downtime during the day, and if pj's are part of that, so be it.

We are inconsistent!

We definitely do better at school and get more done when we stick to the get up and get dressed routine. Wide latitude is allowed in the meaning of "dressed", however.

We do have some jammie days, esp. on vacation, when someone is sick, on snow days etc. If we stay in pjs, we never get a scheduled school day done, though we may well learn lots or discover something new or have a productive day in other respects. Pajama days here lend thenpmselves to longer hours on one thing and learning something from several angles instead of moving through many things.

There is an occasional Saturday exception, but generally we get dressed/brush teeth/brush hair every day. Today my 4yo is in pj's and will likely stay that way all day. However, she will get a bath and clean pj's before bed. I have a hard time imagining not getting dressed as a general rule. Is there some sort of limit? I mean, how many days does this 'pj to bed/pj as clothes' pattern continue? We aren't talking about stinky teens are we? That just sounds kinda icky, but maybe I'm picturing it all wrong...

Summer is a different animal--they are outside ALL day and have to shower at night EVERY night.  But they could wear their sleeping clothes (which really aren't pjs, just shorts and a tshirt or athletic pants and a tshirt) the next day as long as they looked decent (brushed hair, clean face, etc).  But in the winter, I'll be honest--if we're at home all day, they sometimes shower every 1 1/2 days or every 2 days.  Preteens, not teens, so maybe The Big Stink isn't 100% here yet----

B

Kids: get up, brush teeth/hair, straighten their beds. If they want to stay in their pjs that's fine. Or they sometimes will change into comfy sweas and tshirts. My daughter sometimes will come out dressed as a princess Avenger Darth Vader to do her schoolwork lol.

Me: get up, shower, blow out my hair, and if we aren't going anywhere I will put on sweats/yoga pants/pj pants and a tank. I am fine being in comfy clothing around the house but I can't function without a shower and a quick hairstyling.

I live in a rental and pay for laundry - I can't even imagine if all of us dirtied an outfit every day even if we are just lazing around the house. That's a lotta unnecessary laundry lol.

Right now DS the younger is playing on his computer in his jammies.  I am not going to insist he get dressed because we aren't going anywhere today, but my guess is at some point he will want to so he can go outside and play.

We have very few days that we don't leave the house.  I do have a rule that the kids need to be dressed and ready for school on school days, but sometimes they will ask to stay in jammies and I usually give them the okay.  I get dressed every day.  I just don't get things done if I am not dressed.  I pretty much always wear casual clothes that I don't mind getting messy in.  DD is also big on getting dressed each morning.

We would always get dressed every day, even during snowstorms when no one in the whole town was out.  I just think it motivates a person to be more productive, and I feel sloppy and lazy if I stay in pajamas all day.

But, that doesn't mean we put on new, fresh clothes everyday!  I often wear the same outfit for several days in a row.

This is what we do.  Heck, during the winter I have "daytime" pj pants and "nighttime" pj pants ;) - I just do so much better when I "get dressed", do my hair (nothing elaborate, just combing it and throwing it in a bun), and wash my face.  With the kids, I require that they get dressed in something different than what they wore to bed (occasionally they want to wear "day clothes" to bed), and that they comb their hair.  I just justify it with it being "what we do" - it's part of getting ready for the day and that's that.  I'm quite in favor of re-wearing clothes that aren't actually dirty or smelly - I do the same thing - no point in washing clothes that don't need the washing.  (It's why we have a separate laundry bin for underwear - makes it easier to do an underwear batch and also keeps the re-wearable clothes from getting smelly from being by the underwear.)

No way. I'm still not dressed. I planned a total home day. It's yoga pants and a hoodie.

Yoga pants and a hoodie are pajama's? If that's not getting dressed I might have change what I wrote earlier. We have stay at home clothes and going out clothes.

No way. I'm still not dressed. I planned a total home day. It's yoga pants and a hoodie.

That's dressed for me ;) - right now I'm in fleece pants, a cami, and a flannel shirt (it's my winter "uniform").  I only put on jeans when I'm going out (my 3yo knows this and whenever he sees me in jeans he asks me where I'm going :lol:).

I totally get rewearing clean clothes. And an occasional lazy day. Athletic pants and a t-shirt completely counts as dressed, imo. And my kids have eczema - they do not shower daily in the winter.

This is what I don't get:

There are a few days each week where I know where we're not leaving the house (because the other days are so full that I need those days at home to get stuff done and recharge). There's some disagreement here about whether or not we should get dressed, brush hair, etc. when we know we're not going anywhere that day. 

Practically speaking, it doesn't seem to make sense to get dressed in clean clothes that will probably get stained or smelly, just to take them off at the end of the day and get back into PJs. But I also know that getting dressed also seems to start the day off on a more efficient note, and we're all more productive when we get ready to face the public at the beginning of the day. 

What do you do? If you do make everyone get dressed and ready, how do you justify it? 

I'm wondering what the alternative is. They get stained and smelly while wearing pjs, then they wear them to bed, then... what??? Do they wear them again? How many days do they wear these "stained or smelly" pjs before new clothes are called for? Any day that involves getting stained or smelly is a day that calls for fresh pjs at night and fresh clothes in the morning. Right?!?

We groom and dress every day.   I consider regular grooming is a way of showing respect for other family members.  By requiring it now, I hope to instill in my sons the habits of washing, brushing teeth, and combing hair.  Future partners or housemates may be grateful. Plus, I don’t want milk mustaches, or worse, smeared on my clothes or furniture. 

When they were were smaller, I required my sons to dress after breakfast because our days went more smoothly with a regular routine.  Most days we did leave the house at some point, even if just to play in our own yard.

Now they get dressed as a matter of course.  On the rare occasions that we have pajama days, they usually change into fresh pajamas morning and evening.  I have to do laundry sooner when we have pajama days since they have more sweatpants than pajama bottoms. 

Absolutely.

I think it's a good habit for both them and me to put on actual clothes every day.

I cannot say anything else without sounding insulting. :D

Having a jammie day should be a treat, not a norm.

Ellie, can I just say as soon as I read the OP, I thought, "Ellie will say 'absolutely!'" :D your reputation precedes you!

Either way has worked for us in different seasons. Back when we lived in other towns, the kids didn't have friends nearby. We often lived in small towns on larger pieces of property and would go days without seeing someone outside the family. The children were small and easily soiled and their staying in their jammies all day saved me from doing more laundry than I needed to. We were more unschooly back then too, if I remember correctly.

Now we live in a suburban neighborhood crawling with children. The kids are older and I find that getting dressed makes us more serious about our studies. If we impulsively decide to go to the store or something, I don't have to wait for anyone to get dressed. The youngest two still occasionally slide by, but I usually make them put on clothes by lunchtime, at least.

Nope. But usually if we aren't going anywhere like that it is cold out, so pajamas are just warm and snuggly.  We still do teeth and hair and all.  But I am a much happier mom and so much more effecient some days when I get to go braless and elastic waisted pajama bottoms with fuzzy socks. 

Granted there have been winter days in the past where we've gone all day and I realize I still didn't get as far as showered.  So i shower and put pajamas back on. 

And there are certain friends I can hang out in my pajamas with.  But I will usually put a bra on under the pajamas then.  Unless they are nursing moms, then we all sag together! 

I totally get rewearing clean clothes. And an occasional lazy day. Athletic pants and a t-shirt completely counts as dressed, imo. And my kids have eczema - they do not shower daily in the winter.

This is what I don't get:

I'm wondering what the alternative is. They get stained and smelly while wearing pjs, then they wear them to bed, then... what??? Do they wear them again? How many days do they wear these "stained or smelly" pjs before new clothes are called for? Any day that involves getting stained or smelly is a day that calls for fresh pjs at night and fresh clothes in the morning. Right?!?

Speaking just for us, it was clean pjs at night after shower. If they didn't put on clothes during the day they would shower after dinner (or not if not needed) and then put on clean pajamas and underwear before bed. Dirty pajamas on clean sheets are gross. My kids always had tons of pajamas because I bought them practically by the gross when they'd go on sale at Gymboree or gap outlet. They were all girls and all but the oldest shared around.

they used to have to get dressed.  I get dressed whether I'm leaving or not.

then they became adults.  I still shake my head/chuckle at one of 2dd's grad school profs at their "induction" ceremony saying how she was enjoying seeing them in clothes as she expected them to be wearing their pjs when she saw them the next day.  (while dd always dressed, her appearance was nicer on days she worked after class.).  these are GRAD students!

2ds's classes are mostly online, but he'd wear fleece bottoms even with a class on campus - and he doesn't get dressed if he doesn't have to.  ( he's doing some part time work in his field - online).  and dh works from home.  at least I improved his cheap (ugly!) gray sweats and a white t-shirt to nicer fleece bottoms and a nicer t-shirt.

so, I gave up.  dudeling wears a t-shirt and fleece bottoms unless we're going somewhere.  as soon as we come home - he's back in them.

The kids are out of the house a lot these days so they get dressed more often than they used to.  But "dressed" is pretty much always sweat pants and t-shirts/sweat shirts, so pretty comfy.  Ds will sleep in the clothes he wore all day if they aren't coated with peanut butter or other stuff.  Dd almost always puts on actual pj's or a nightgown.  Her clothes aren't as comfy for sleeping as ds's (more fitted t-shirts, more embellishments/ruffles).

I never noticed any change in productivity based on how they were dressed.  They do brush their teeth and wash up in the morning regardless of whether they were getting dressed or not.  Dd sleeps with her very long hair braided most nights so it's already "done" and gets redone as needed.

I change into sweats/pj pants and a t-shirt/hoodie as soon as I get home in the evening and usually won't get dressed on weekends if we aren't going out.