Menu

Who here has been to the Chatanooga curriculum fair?

This year, I will be in Tennessee in July and a friend invited me to go to the CSTHEA curriculum fair. Normally I would go to our homeschool convention up here and do most my shopping in April, but if the one down there is really good, I'm considering skipping ours up here. I know there is often curriculum in the US that I have a hard time getting shipped up here. I'm rather excited about the opportunity. Usually I would be registering for ours about now, and there really isn't any info online about the Tennessee fair yet. So I thought I'd ask the lovely folks here and see what they thought of it just so I can ease my worry about skipping the one up here.

So was it good shopping?

Are there a large amount of vendors?

Used books?

Did you feel overall that is was worth going to?

I haven't been to the fair, but while you're there, visit McKay books-the Chattanooga store has a really, really large homeschooling section, as well as a lot of good curriculum materials and resources in the non-fiction section (in general, anything that is middle or high school level is likely to be in non-fiction by subject as opposed to in the homeschooling/education section, but it's always good to check both. I think classification often depends on who checks in the material, so you may find, say, a 6th grade math book in either location or even two copies with different prices in different locations in the store).

I've been several times. You won't find many used books; they do a used book fair earlier in June. I feel it is worth going to as the cost is pretty low. The sessions were helpful when I was first starting, but I haven't utilized them recently. I always pick up a coupon at the Sonlight booth and buy some things from the Rod & Staff vendor. They regularly have Usborne books, Rainbow Resource, Math U See, Teaching Textbooks, Essentials in Writing, Miller Pads & Paper, Abeka, Horizons, Memoria Press, Right Start Math, Milestone Books, Sonlight, and various other local service providers and vendors that sell a variety of resources. Rainbow Resource brings a variety of items to the fair, but you can also order anything from their catalog at the fair and get free shipping.

I've been several times. You won't find many used books; they do a used book fair earlier in June. I feel it is worth going to as the cost is pretty low. The sessions were helpful when I was first starting, but I haven't utilized them recently. I always pick up a coupon at the Sonlight booth and buy some things from the Rod & Staff vendor. They regularly have Usborne books, Rainbow Resource, Math U See, Teaching Textbooks, Essentials in Writing, Miller Pads & Paper, Abeka, Horizons, Memoria Press, Right Start Math, Milestone Books, Sonlight, and various other local service providers and vendors that sell a variety of resources. Rainbow Resource brings a variety of items to the fair, but you can also order anything from their catalog at the fair and get free shipping.

I'm kinda hoping that I can pick up all the stuff I'd normally get from Rainbow Resources while I'm down there. Shipping up here is horrible and the exchange rate makes me cringe every time. If I can find it there, or even have it shipped to where I'm staying, that would be awesome. How fast is their shipping usually if I were to order something at the fair?

We used to have a really good curriculum fair in Chattanooga with "name-brand" speakers. Unfortunately, with the increased use of podcasts, youtube, etc., I guess it isn't worthwhile for people to come to Chattanooga anymore. I wouldn't recommend the workshops to anyone other than brand-new homeschoolers. I will agree the free shipping for Rainbow Resources can make it worth it if you can wait for the materials to arrive. That is another problem with the Chattanooga curriculum fair; it isn't until the end of July. I start my school year at the beginning of July.

I don't even go to the used book sale because they charge for it, and I only purchase bits and pieces cheaply. The new and used book fairs are more advantageous for those who use packaged curriculum.

I usually have better luck at the used book sales in the Cleveland area that are free and at McKay's in Chattanooga and Knoxville.

I'm kinda hoping that I can pick up all the stuff I'd normally get from Rainbow Resources while I'm down there. Shipping up here is horrible and the exchange rate makes me cringe every time. If I can find it there, or even have it shipped to where I'm staying, that would be awesome. How fast is their shipping usually if I were to order something at the fair?

At least one time I got my Rainbow Resource order early the next week, maybe even on Monday. I know I was shocked by the speed of that shipment. I wouldn't count on it being quite that quick though. You can up the chances of the RR booth having what you need on hand by going to the fair right when they open the first day.

McKay's is awesome.

On our way home from Thanksgiving we passed by the one in Knoxville on the freeway and decided to get off and check it out. Took us a bit to find out how to get there, but so totally worth it. Twenty-five cent books? Yes, please.  :thumbup: