Menu

AAS/AAR card box

daisylynn

I am using these:  http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-17718612-Storage-Clear-12-Pack/dp/B002BA5F1G

At first I scoffed at having so many. But I use them for all the AAS levels, plus they work for dry erase markers, sharpies, marbles, crayons, and lots of other things you never knew you needed them for until you had them in hand. I found a use for all 12 in relatively short order.  I believe they are cheaper than the AAS box and they are plastic, so conceptually they should last longer as well.

ETA: The shipping was free when I ordered these. I believe these are the same thing, just updated: http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-18018612-Micro-Flip-Clear/dp/B00IPDD8MQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1420822164&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=Sterilite+17718612+Flip+Top+Storage+Box%2C+Clear%2C+12-Pack%2C+Micro

I have my AAS level 1 cards in one of those plastic index card boxes from Staples, but they fit so perfectly that there isn't room for anything else or any other levels.  

Are we supposed to keep adding cards as we add levels (in which case I would need the larger AAS box?), or do you take out the old level and just start working with the new?  And does each level have approximately the same number of cards?

We have always just used recipe card boxes.  For spelling, this works awesome as I have different kids in different levels and this way each of their spelling boxes in in their crate and waiting.  For AAR...it gets a bit tougher. By level 3 there are too many word cards to fit in a recipe box.  We bought a larger box from Staples, but I hate it.  The cards fit in side by side and it's annoying to try to flip through, so we ended up splitting the word cards into two halves and setting one half aside until we needed it.  I am considering buying the box for AAR, as it would be nice to have all the cards in one box.  Oh, and since we've used both AAR/AAS from the beginning, we have an awful lot of recipe boxes, but they do stack nicely....

I usually use one of the boxes per level.  I did finally move AAS1 out and just put it in a rubber band and store it on the shelf. We don't get into it.

Since I am in AAS5, I *should* know if the cards are cumulative. My short answer is that the word cards are not, some of the rule cards are initially, and then they aren't.  I *think* I  found at one point that some of the rules from AAS1 and AAS2 were repeated on new cards in AAS3. In any event, you can easily fit the rule cards for several levels, and some of the other things like the sound cards, for several levels, with the level you are using in one of these boxes. There is a good amount of room in there. They are not crammed in.  My only issue has been I wish I had multiple copies of the dividers. Alas I am too cheap so I made up my own using index cards. But they are not as pretty.  =)

Are we supposed to keep adding cards as we add levels (in which case I would need the larger AAS box?), or do you take out the old level and just start working with the new?  And does each level have approximately the same number of cards?

For AAS, yes. The Phonogram, Sound, and Key cards from previous levels should be reviewed when you do a "mastered review." I typically also reviewed them for the 1st step (sometimes specified, sometimes not), and rotated through them so that I did each card about once a month. My kids needed lots of review. Eventually we started dropping cards from the earliest levels that were super easy, but I kept some throughout all of the levels. You want your child to be able to rattle them off quickly and easily so that they don't have to think as they write--it's a "scaffolding" type of technique moving towards fluent spelling.

For the word cards, if there are words that were tricky for your child, you may want to occasionally review those too. I usually reviewed the cards from the previous level at least one more time, but if they were easy, I retired them. Sometimes my kids had "older" word cards in their "mastered" section for periodic review. Eventually those became easy and were dropped.

Basically--this is your system to modify to your kids' needs. Kids who struggle do better with more review. Cutting corners here will not help them and lead to more gaps, less retention when they are spelling in their writing etc... Kids who catch on easily would be bored by needless review--for them, only do what's needed.  IE, make it work for you.

For those using AAR--keep the word cards in review until your child reads them fluently (easily, not needing to sound out the word etc...) and retire it when you don't want it to come up in a mastered review any more. 

HTH!

Is the card box really that much better/easier than using a recipe card box? I will pay the money if it's worth it, but just wanted to hear from others first. :)

Before AALP had the boxes, I used those $1 sterilite flip-top boxes. Here's a picture on my blog of how I organized my spelling materials, that also has pictures of what I used to use, and the new boxes when I started using those. The new boxes are nice in that they fit the cards exactly, but if you'd rather use what you have, go for it!

Based on my experience, here's a suggestion on what NOT to buy: wal-Mart's generic "index card box". It has a clear plastic bottom and the attached lid is colored plastic.

It's just too tight of a fit to get all AAS cards in without damaging the dividers. (I.e. The dividers are just tall enough that they need to stored at an angle rather than perpendicular to the base of the box)

Before AALP had the boxes, I used those $1 sterilite flip-top boxes. Here's a picture on my blog of how I organized my spelling materials, that also has pictures of what I used to use, and the new boxes when I started using those. The new boxes are nice in that they fit the cards exactly, but if you'd rather use what you have, go for it!

I like those boxes too!

But you use the AAR/AAS boxes now and like them better? Do they seem like they would hold up nicely? I don't have anything, so I would have to purchase whatever it is I need anyway. I do want the boxes to last though, without tearing apart.

I like those boxes too!

But you use the AAR/AAS boxes now and like them better? Do they seem like they would hold up nicely? I don't have anything, so I would have to purchase whatever it is I need anyway. I do want the boxes to last though, without tearing apart.

I didn't have any trouble with them tearing apart. 

I like those boxes too!

I can only speak for the AAS review box, but I'm sure the AAR review box is made the same.  It will definitely hold up nicely...it's very sturdy, not flimsy at all.  I really like it.  It has these blue foam "sponges" that help keep all of your cards snug.  When you add another level of cards you can take one out to make more room.  All of the level cards (but only your current level green Word Cards) will eventually fit in the box with all the foam removed.  I mean...it is just a box though...but it's really cute (there's a cute little bee on the bottom too  :001_smile: ).  Oh, don't forget that you'll need the divider cards too.  Now, having said all that...you can use a different box and make your own divider cards, if you want to save a little $$.  I guess it's up to you.   :001_smile: