Menu

Your absolute favorite handwriting program (not HWOT)?

AimeeM

We do book A (K) and book B (1st) of the italic series listed above.

I spend the first half of 2nd grade just doing copywork for handwriting practice, then the second half of 2nd grade, I switch them over to New American Cursive Book 1 by Memoria Press. So far this has worked for both of my girls, but we'll see if my son can transition to cursive this early. If not, we will keep doing copywork for handwriting practice until he's ready.

We do book A (K) and book B (1st) of the italic series listed above.

I spend the first half of 2nd grade just doing copywork for handwriting practice, then the second half of 2nd grade, I switch them over to New American Cursive Book 1 by Memoria Press. So far this has worked for both of my girls, but we'll see if my son can transition to cursive this early. If not, we will keep doing copywork for handwriting practice until he's ready.

Do you know where I can see a sample of what all the upper and lower case letters look like for Memoria Press' New American Cursive?

Do you know where I can see a sample of what all the upper and lower case letters look like for Memoria Press' New American Cursive?

I hate the way most of the uppercase letters look in traditional cursive so I purposefully chose New American Cursive because it gets rid of most of those wonky capitals. They still didn't get rid of the capital G so I teach my kids a different way to write that one than NAC teaches. I'm just letting you know because if you are a cursive purist, you won't like NAC. I have to say though that teaching kids to write in cursive using NAC has been pretty painless.

I hate the way most of the uppercase letters look in traditional cursive so I purposefully chose New American Cursive because it gets rid of most of those wonky capitals. They still didn't get rid of the capital G so I teach my kids a different way to write that one than NAC teaches. I'm just letting you know because if you are a cursive purist, you won't like NAC. I have to say though that teaching kids to write in cursive using NAC has been pretty painless.

Thanks for mentioning NAC, I hadn't heard about it, so I just looked it up, it looks great, like how people really write.  No one does that crazy Q! Or the Z?  ugh, I hated those!

I recommend HLTL. Handwriting Lessons through Literature. It's a new part of Barefoot Ragamuffins Curricula. You can then pick any of her five font options. And if you go the PDF route you can change to cursive from manuscript whenever you're ready or visaversa.

I will also admit to liking the Getty Dubay A-B books but this is also in HLTL. And I am also currently using NAC 1 but with both the completion of GD and NAC. We still need more and enjoy HLTL.

You can sample NAC on www.memoriapress.com and I believe there is also a NAC website. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd give direct links.

Oh and we love reinforcement with the Rhythm of Handwriting bits from LOE Foundations but that's not so much copywork as it is just learning the strokes broken down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We use Zaner Bloser's handwriting book.  She just started it, so I'm not sure how great it will go.  So far, she's enjoying it.  We are doing manuscript right now.  I know a lot of people start with cursive, and I didn't.  Now she's asking to write "fancy" so I'm debating trying both.

You can make your own sheets on ZB's website for free.  

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/media/zb/zaner-bloser/FontsOnline_Sampler/FontsOnline_Sampler/index.html