Menu

LA Sugesstions? Switch from R&S

TheRosySeven

Hey fellow homeschoolers! I have a 9yo son, and two girls 6 & 7 that I homeschool at the moment. We've been steady with R&S phonics for about a year now. It's not working for us anymore and I'm looking for something to switch to but I haven't decided what yet. I've looked at SWR as well as AAS. Are there any others you can suggest I look at? I'd like something that incorporated the rules of grammar and spelling together.

Thanks in advance1

Hey fellow homeschoolers! I have a 9yo son, and two girls 6 & 7 that I homeschool at the moment. We've been steady with R&S phonics for about a year now. It's not working for us anymore and I'm looking for something to switch to but I haven't decided what yet. I've looked at SWR as well as AAS. Are there any others you can suggest I look at? I'd like something that incorporated the rules of grammar and spelling together.

Thanks in advance1

So, "language arts" is a pretty broad term. Are you wanting something to teach your dc to read and spell, and not grammar and composition?

It isn't very common for things to teach spelling and grammar simultaneously.

R&S's Bible Nurture and Reader series has a decidedly strong sight-reading emphasis. Although generally I like R&S, I cannot recommend BNRS (although others like it and recommend it).

SWR is pretty comprehensive, although it does not do grammar (and your younger two dc don't really need grammar yet, IMHO).

I usually recommend Spalding; it teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, such that children who aren't reading yet, or who aren't reading well, will improve their reading skills, and children who read well but whose spelling skills are iffy will improve their spelling skills. It includes penmanship and punctuation and capitalization, and it *can* be grammar and composition if you want, but most of us like to do something different for those.

Thank you for the advice! What I have liked about R&S is that it incorporates all the rules of grammar as well as spelling. I would like the kids to get both aspects in if at all possible. My 9yo isn't up to par on reading as much as my 7yo and my 5 yo is only learning so far.

Huh.

I'm looking at the scope and sequence for the Bible Nurture and Reader series; the only *grammar* taught is capitalization and punctuation, and nouns, verbs, and adjectives, and that's only in the first grade "We Learn About God" materials. After that, all other grammar concepts are taught in the English series. There are no grammar concepts taught in Spelling by Sound and Structure until fifth grade, and that's only in relation to the teaching of dictionary skills.