Menu

Eleven (11) dead at Paris newspaper after gunmen attack

unsinkable

My understanding was that the gunmen were raised in France, not in Yemen or SA. So what they heard for the many years of their youth might have had some influence. What would they have been hearing?

It has *already* been described on this thread what they have been consuming for many years of their youth *through the internet*. You do understand that the US (and its allies, including the French) has been actively at war with extremist factions of Islam for a long time. There is plenty of footage (some misleading, some not, some fact, some fiction) out there to fuel those fires *without* them hearing anything within their local community. The recruiting tactics of these extremists factions (of the sort that set up terrorist training camps) have already been described.

Moderate Muslims I know here in America certainly do believe that what is going on has something to do with them. 1) for the reason you give that they would be considered not infidels but heretics and killed too as soon as infidels; 2) some I know came here to get away from oppression in places like Iran; 3) some who have children fear for their daughters going off to become married to IS fighters or their sons to become part of that themselves.  I obviously know moderate Muslims who are different and have different beliefs and fears than the ones you know.

Those are similar to fears held by non-Muslims (in point of fact, some US Christians have had children convert, attend training camps, etc), so I am not sure how this contradicts what I said? 

In any case, the post I was replying to suggested that it would make no difference even if all Muslim leaders advocated non-violence. I understood that to mean Muslim leaders everywhere, Europe, Yemen, SA, the Americas, Africa.

Well, all Muslim leaders everywhere are not against violence. That's is, indeed, why we have this issue. But, you can't blame ALL leaders for the actions of SOME. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all Muslim leaders everywhere are not against violence. That's is, indeed, why we have this issue. But, you can't blame ALL leaders for the actions of SOME. 

Not at all. I think there is a lot of talking past one another that goes on, with a failure to quite understand what each other are saying.