Menu

Oh darn..now I want this kitchen toy...

SparklyUnicorn

I just asked for and received this Julienne Peeler for Christmas -- TOTALLY fun! It made great "zoodles" (zucchini noodles) and also worked super on carrots to make ultra-thin matchsticks that worked great in soup. And, it's just so irresistibly fun to use! DH came out while I was using it and finished off the zucchini and was looking for other things to use it on. I had to take it away from him, or everything in the vegetable drawer would have been "noodlized"…  :tongue_smilie:

I love mine. It's great for gluten free or dieting.  Crave some pasta but on a diet?  Make your sauce and while it's simmering, spiralize one zucchini per person.  Dump pasta in sauce, cook a couple minutes, and it's a perfect low calorie meal.

DH prefers potato "noodles" to most of the gluten free ones we've tried.  Potato noodles are super cheap compared to other gluten free options.  Make sure to watch some videos so you know what you're doing and don't break it.

It's also a quick way to put veggies in salads- ribbons of apple or carrot are pretty and tasty.

There's a website called inspiralized that you might like too.

Well you can use it for other veggies.

That kind of reminds me of the Breville Ice Cream maker I have sitting on my wish list. It is ghastly expensive. And I am Lactose Intolerant! But that doesn't mean i can't convince myself i could just use it for Sorbets. At the moment, the only thing keeping me from buying With One Click! Is that I'm doing that Nothing New challenge; plus, when that thing arrives in its cool, stainless steel body, DH is not going to have any illusions that it was a bargain.

I was given one of these for Christmas.  The second time I used it the handle snapped off :-(

Wait, which item?  The counter-top one with the crank, or the julienne peeler?  I need to know before I get too happy on Amazon.

You guys aren't good for my pocket cash.

I just asked for and received this Julienne Peeler for Christmas -- TOTALLY fun! It made great "zoodles" (zucchini noodles) and also worked super on carrots to make ultra-thin matchsticks that worked great in soup. And, it's just so irresistibly fun to use! DH came out while I was using it and finished off the zucchini and was looking for other things to use it on. I had to take it away from him, or everything in the vegetable drawer would have been "noodlized"…  :tongue_smilie:

Oh...Kuhn Rikon too. You know a good toy when you see it!

I got one a few months ago and I LOVE it.  It's so easy to use, it doesn't plug in, it's easy to clean, and since we eat lots of vegetables I use it all the time. I was using a julienne peeler and it was incredibly tedious so this has been wonderful.  I've used potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and chayote so far.  Chayote is surprisingly good this way.  Latkes are easier too.

I got one for Christmas and can't wait to use it! I appreciate the heads up on watching a video before I use it; I would be super bummed if I broke it right out of the gate. 

Yeah, I almost broke the handle off of mine, thought, "This can't be right," and spent a good hour on YouTube.  From the instructions I was wanting to attach the veggie at the wrong end, so the handle end was shredding the end instead of sticking, and no noodles were coming out.  You have to really stick down the base, firmly push the veggie into the handle part, and only use as much pressure as your thumb has pushing the veggie into the blade.  It's super easy once you know what you're doing, but annoying from just the instructions, IMO.

Wait, which item?  The counter-top one with the crank, or the julienne peeler?  I need to know before I get too happy on Amazon.

You guys aren't good for my pocket cash.

The counter top one linked in the first post.  I wasn't using it incorrectly, or doing anything it doesn't say it can do, but when I turned the handle it snapped of fin my hand.  Because it was a gift and the giver doesn't still have the receipt (it was my mother so I felt ok asking) the shop isn't interested, so it's in the bin :-(

ETA: looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews on the link it seems that I'm not alone. 

I got one a few months ago and I LOVE it.  It's so easy to use, it doesn't plug in, it's easy to clean, and since we eat lots of vegetables I use it all the time. I was using a julienne peeler and it was incredibly tedious so this has been wonderful.  I've used potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and chayote so far.  Chayote is surprisingly good this way.  Latkes are easier too.

Yeah I'm not at all interested in the peeler.  If I want julienne I'd just use a knife.  I can't cut spirals so easily with a knife though.

The counter top one linked in the first post.  I wasn't using it incorrectly, or doing anything it doesn't say it can do, but when I turned the handle it snapped of fin my hand.  Because it was a gift and the giver doesn't still have the receipt (it was my mother so I felt ok asking) the shop isn't interested, so it's in the bin :-(

ETA: looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews on the link it seems that I'm not alone. 

Huh..I will keep that in mind.  I don't want something that can't hold up to my abuse.  LOL