Menu

Fun science experiments for younger kids

My 7 year old has been dying to do some science experiments but most that I have found are either over his head, require a lot of time, or have a lot of materials. He really wants to observe something happening and have immediate results.

I came across Candy Experiments by Loralee Leavitt and he loves it. Most of the experiments are simple and done in 10-15 minutes, there are about 70 experiments total. The ingredients are easy to find candies like Life Savers or M&Ms. It doesn't really fit in with our study of animals, but it is fulfilling his desire to do real science experiments. He is really enjoying it so thought I would share. In fact we did 3 experiments this morning and he has declared today "the best day of school ever!"

Overall I think younger elementary students would get the most enjoyment from this book but older kids would enjoy some of the experiments as well. I found it at a Scholastic Wearhouse sale but Amazon has it as well for around $10.

I have a bunch of fun pinned here.  They are grouped as Elementary science but we've done many of them with my younger two.  You could always start there and then search lots of others on Pinterest. I found Steve Spangler science videos an excellent resources for science demonstrations and experiments with the WOW and fun factor. :)

Lisa

I really like the Sonlight science kits for younger kids. We didn't buy everything - just the DVD, experiment book (Usborne experiment books in the early years, I think), and the consumable and non-consumable science kits. My daughter had a great time with those - the experiments were age-appropriate and the DVDs are lots of fun.