Menu

can this child be "rescued" ? (hates reading)

He's not mine - he belongs to a friend - he's 9, in 3rd grade in public school, and hates reading. If it's possible, I'd like to help him out - my own children are natural readers, so I don't have much experience here.

Ideas I've thought of:

audio books

start with Henry and Mudge type books ("chapters" are impressive to him)

playing Scrabble? (he likes Monopoly and will read the cards to play the game, even though he doesn't love the reading part)

Ideas that his mom has tried that haven't worked:

letting him choose any library book he wants from the 3rd grade level shelf (they're too hard, so kid shuts down because he's not confident and not used to working hard)

having him read the leveled readers at school (they are super boring - he's at level K right now, and 3rd graders are supposed to be at N, O, and P levels)

school makes him read 20 minutes per night

Things he likes: sports, video games (but doesn't have any educational ones), board games.

He can read, but gets hung up on words he doesn't know, and then loses the story while being stuck; he thinks / knows he's "behind" which just confirms to him that he's not good at this (but he could be!!!!).

Ideas? I am sure there are threads here that answer this, but I searched and wasn't able to find what I need.

The mojang Minecraft books are nicely put together. The one non reader out of my 6 siblings will read car magazines etc - anything on a topic of interest that can be dipped in to. One of my younger brothers has dyslexia though and it took him until 9 or 10 for it to click so it is not impossible. That brother went from worst reader to best reader that year.

Phonics. I would bet anything that he has not been taught phonics but is trying to process using only sight reading. Letting him choose books that he wants, or having him read from basal readers, or making him read 20 minutes a night at home after he has spent all day at school will not make up for a lack of good phonics instruction.

Explode the Code and Victory Drill Book are two things that a non-homeschooling parent would be able to do at home.

I agree with Ellie that it sounds like he's missing basic phonics instruction.

With that said, no you cannot "rescue him" if you consider rescuing him making him *enjoy* reading. Some people simply do not enjoy it. That's okay. He still needs to be ABLE to do it, though.

Have learning differences (like Dyslexia) been ruled out? My eldest hated reading, too, until she had been through some OG and it became easier for her. Of course your friend's son doesn't enjoy reading if it's very, very difficult for him (and it sounds like it is) - not many people enjoy doing things that they "can't seem to get right", kwim?

I agree with the pp, take him to a developmental optometrist from the COVD.org list of providers.

Then I would probably do a Barton Screening to see if there are signs of underlying dyslexia.  http://www.bartonreading.com/studentscreening.html

If both of those are ok, I'd proceed with direct explicit phonics instruction. I'm not entirely sure what I would use at that age, but possibly Dancing Bears. 

Until he  was reading well, though, I would stick with high interest audio books and read alouds. Pushing/encouraging him to read when it's so hard for him is going to counter-productive. It doesn't sound like he's able to be there yet.

I agree with the pp, take him to a developmental optometrist from the COVD.org list of providers.

Then I would probably do a Barton Screening to see if there are signs of underlying dyslexia.  http://www.bartonreading.com/studentscreening.html

If both of those are ok, I'd proceed with direct explicit phonics instruction. I'm not entirely sure what I would use at that age, but possibly Dancing Bears. 

Until he  was reading well, though, I would stick with high interest audio books and read alouds. Pushing/encouraging him to read when it's so hard for him is going to counter-productive. It doesn't sound like he's able to be there yet.

But I wouldn't wait for those other things to happen before doing some simple phonics instruction with him, because although there could be issues that need professional-level help, it's every bit as probable that it's the common story of the public school doing a really poor job of teaching him to read because they do sight reading (or "whole language," which is just sight reading).

My kid coming out of PS at age 8 was exactly the same. He's on the spectrum, but he'd always been a good reader, and was totally disinterested. I could not convince him to pick up a book if my life depended on it. Enter, The Read Aloud Handbook. I read to him daily (from really interesting books well beyond his reading level), got him to look at books 20 minutes a day (his choice). At first, he'd look at pictures. Then, we started working on his language comprehension skills using the read-clouds. After a while, he got interested in non-fiction books, and would read those, and then after about 1 year, picked up a novel. Hurrah! He now really loves reading (though he's off right now due to an obsessive interest in music).

The basal readers nearly killed his love of reading. He was soooooooo bored by them, and could decode much farther, but couldn't answer the comprehension questions (his verbal skills weren't great yet) so he gave up. His little buddy, who has the same problems, is still stuck in the same rut.

But if language isn't an issue, phonics for sure may be. And boredom.  

Well, I just want to say that kids this age are still pretty young. If they need to be "rescued" at all, it's from the public school system and society telling them that they're "behind" or "non-readers" not from any real issues.

Agreed that phonics interventions would probably be most useful. If the mom is open to it, I'd suggest doing a serious phonics program. But I know that's a lot for a lot of non-homeschool families. Maybe the mom could do something that's phonics-light like Reading Eggs with him. I think your Henry and Mudge idea is good too. Fly Guy is another that's even easier. And The Flying Beaver Bros is a good easy comic that feels "long" - stuff like that will help him change how he thinks about himself, I hope.

I think Scrabble is probably too hard. I think most letter games are either lame for kids this age or two hard if they're at this stage. There are fun things you can do - some of the things like in Peggy Kaye's Games for Writing and Games for Reading - but it's not stuff that's boxed. It takes a parent with a I'm going to sit down and teach sort of mentality. But if the mom has it, I'd suggest that.

Oh, you guys are awesome - thank you so much for these ideas! I taught my own kids, but we just . . . opened the books and . . . read.

I have never heard of basal readers, but that sounds like the books he showed me from school; his teacher told Mom that phonics were the issue. He used to have an IEP for reading in K and 1st, but Mom believes that only put him farther behind (pulled out during phonics / reading) rather than helping, so she got him off of it. She's in the process of checking for dyslexia; Dad says that this kid is him, all the way, and it was always hard for him, too.

I don't want to "rescue" him by making him LOVE reading, but I'd like him to feel more confident about being ABLE to do it.

Thank you so much, all of you! Keep these ideas coming! I'm making a list.

(Does anyone have any computer games / apps / board games that helped with reading fluency?)

I agree with Farrar that he is still quite young to be declared "behind." Some children do not seem to take off in reading until age 9 or 10 or beyond, and if his father also struggled, there may be some genetic foundation for late reading and/or dyslexia. However, since this boy perceives himself as being behind, and is expected in public school to be farther along than he is, it is important to do some intervention with his reading as soon as possible.

I agree with Ellie that he probably has not had explicit, systematic, and consistent phonics instruction. The easiest-to-implement phonics that I know of is The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (OPG) from Peace Hill Press. If they purchase the print edition (not the download), it's absolutely open-and-go. His mother would only have to spend about 15 minutes a day with him, and I bet they would see progress over time. There are no "bells and whistles" with this program, just a simple text that doesn't need any planning (a bookmark is enough for keeping track). I would also get the flashcards that accompany the text, but that should be all they need to get started. So for about $40, they could address the need for phonics instruction.

I also agree with other posters that suggested pursuing a thorough vision evaluation, but (again) I agree with Ellie that all that sort of thing takes time. I wouldn't wait to start working on systematic phonics, especially since his public school teacher told mom that this is the problem.

One way to test whether or not he is using phonics or simply sight reading is to test him with nonsense words. Here's a link to a test.

Here's a link to a page that lists signs that he may be deficient in phonics.

Also, his parents may want to read this page: http://thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/aliterate.html

These phonics lessons are online and completely free:

http://thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/phonicslsnslinks.html

In addition to everything that has already been mentioned, I would suggest letting him play video games that require reading. The is really the only time my reluctant reader wants to read. Web based games like Minecraft and Wizard101/pirate101 let kids "chat" with other players. To get the most out of the games, you have to read what other players type.

For offline games, Pokemon and Animal Crossing require the player to read to know what to do in the game. I am sure there are other games now, but those are a few I remember from when my DS was younger.

There are also strategy guide books that go with many games. My DS will read sections of the strategy guides when he wants to figure out how to do something in his games.

Once any LDs or other issues are ruled out: 

Is he allowed to play video games? If so, introduce him to the original Legend of Zelda! It is age appropriate and gave my son motivation to read because the directions have to be read off of the screen. 

Two other unconventional things I used to help my youngest solidify her reading skills: printing out lyrics to her favorite songs so she can sing along with them karaoke style (she LOVES pop music) and enabling closed captioning on any movies/cartoons/DVDs she watches. There was an almost immediate and very obvious growth in her reading fluency after a just a couple of movies with the closed captions (we still had the sound turned on too, but she seemed to just absorb the words on the screen even though she wasn't actually trying to read along.)

And finally, yes, audiobooks! The more exposure to good literature the better IMO, and audiobooks are an excellent way to get that exposure. My two really enjoy working on jigsaw puzzles or building with LEGOs while listening to a book, and of course they're also a great way to pass time in the car. 

It may be unreasonable to label a 9 year old behind but if he is not able to read what his classmates are then he will get further and further behind. Surely if there is an actual problem it is better to find out now? And if he is like his father has the mother talked to her mother in law - it is possible that she has some useful background information .

Get him books that are below his personal reading level.  You could start out with the Fly Guy books and them move up.  Always find fun entertaining books and work your way back up to his personal reading level by the time he starts to be challenged again he will enjoy reading and want to read.  Make sure he never feels judged by you or your children that is what is happening to him at school.

Have fun

If learning issues have been ruled out, I wouldn't worry too much.  I used to agonize over the fact that some of my children didn't like to read, but then I learned not everyone is going to love to read.  If it is a confidence issue, I agree that phonics may help.  Once the struggle is less, he may begin enjoying it...or not.  As long as he can do it, I think that is the main point.  That thought took me a long time to accept because reading is like breathing to me, and I want it to be everyone's favorite thing. 

Testing vision & having him assessed for dyslexia are good ideas, but honestly, I'd start with a simple test to see where his phonics skills are.  There are lots for free online.  If he has gaps, start there.  Getting in for assessment can take time, and while you wait, I'd be working on phonics.   Lots of libraries will have the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, Phonics Pathways, Reading Rescue, etc.  Are his parents on board?  Are they wanting to put time in, or wanting to hand it all over to you?  

It sounds like to start with he just really needs to be reminded that he isn't, in fact, behind, that reading is hard work and everyone masters it on their own time.  Tell him that you know of a program that is going to take some work, but will really help his reading skills and then get started.   

Sounds like just the kind of student Logic of English Essentials was made for. It is a one year crash course in intensive phonics, filling in gaps and providing the guidance to make sense out of English reading and spelling. It would be appropriate whether he is dyslexic or not.

Giving him the tools of phonics now might save him from a lifetime of, not only hating reading, but low self esteem and low achievement.

I have never seen OPG. Some day I will have to buy it and check it out. The phonics instruction I have had the best results with is Alpha-Phonics REVISED. All of Samuel Blumenfeld's editions and books work well enough, but the REVISED edition of Alpha-Phonics is the best in my opinion, for super simple that is very likely to work with "behind" students.

I tutor mentally ill and homeless women. It's never too late to try to introduce someone to the love of reading. I have a 50+ year old student that only had finished ONE book before meeting me. Elsie Dinsmore was her second. That is NOT the book I would have chosen, but...it's her cherished possession and accomplishment, now. She calls me at least once a week to check in about what she is learning, and what else I have up my sleeve for suggestions.

I've learned in tutoring, the most important thing is my relationship with students and the EXAMPLE I set. I am lot more relaxed during tutoring sessions, now. I inspire more than teach. I do more content, and less skills than I used to. I do more fiction than non-fiction than I used to. I have changed quite a bit over the past few years. I'm much less intense.