Menu

Is a Homeschool High School Physics thread still needed?

Thanks, Mark!  I'll probably take you up on that.  The physics thread will always be open to suggestions, additions, and criticism :) - just like the pinned chem and bio threads.

I do have a few questions for the physics folk, though.  In terms of math level required for each of the levels of physics, this is what I have so far:

Conceptual Physics - Alg 1 required

Regular Algebra-based Physics - Alg 2 required

Honours Algebra-based Physics - Alg 2 required

College level Physics - Calculus 1 required   (Is that what it's called in the States?  Or is it called Intro Calculus?)

AP Physics 1 & 2 (used to be AP Physics B) - Alg 2 required

AP Physics C - Calculus 1 required 

Am I on the right track?  Physics isn't my area of specialization and, although I took a number of physics courses at uni, it's been a long time and I don't honestly remember what math skills were needed. :)  I'm also Canadian and since we've always had integrated math here in high school, I'm never sure of what exactly is typically covered in each of the maths in the States.

I also recognize that, even within a category, there will be programs that require slightly more or slightly less math.  Just like in the chem thread, I'm only trying to give people a general idea of what level of math their student would need to complete a physics course at any particular level.

Thanks!

I bolded one line above.  When I was in high school, the Honours Physics class required that the students be taking calculus simultaneously with physics.  Maybe this no longer holds because what was called "honours" in the 1970s (major U.S. city) today would be called "A.P." -- ? 

Having noted that, I am curious about what is meant, these days, by "honours" classes.  The students I hear about where I live refer solely to regular classes or to A.P.  No "middle track" seems to exist. 

• Like 1

I bolded one line above.  When I was in high school, the Honours Physics class required that the students be taking calculus simultaneously with physics.  Maybe this no longer holds because what was called "honours" in the 1970s (major U.S. city) today would be called "A.P." -- ? 

Having noted that, I am curious about what is meant, these days, by "honours" classes.  The students I hear about where I live refer solely to regular classes or to A.P.  No "middle track" seems to exist. 

Excellent point. :)  I think regentrude had suggested that a division of algebra-based/calc-based was more meaningful in physics than reg/honours.  I was trying to keep the same format/splits as the other two threads but I can certainly change things around.

Is a Reg Physics/Honours Physics split useful for people?  How is this for a list of post headings?

Conceptual Physics

Alg-based physics

Calc-based physics

AP Physics (put all the courses in the same post but specify which ones are geared towards AP Physics 1 & 2 and which ones are geared towards AP Physics C)

Dicentra, I like your lasr-mentioned arrangement.

Shifting to utter trivia now, anybody else reading this thread who worked their high school physics using a slide rule? I joke with my daughter that she will have to use one when her time comes, because slide rule was the only tool available to me back then!

• Like 3

REGULAR/ HONORS ALGEBRA COURSES and TEXTS, SAT SUBJECT TEST PREP, AP PHYSICS B PREP etc

Derek Owens (DS used this and Giancoli text for algebra-based honors physics)

My understanding is that DO's Physics (Honors or Regular) only needs to have Algebra 1 completed - and not Algebra II.

Students should have completed a course in Algebra 1 before enrolling in Physics.
  • Like 2

dd#4 is currently doing a grade 9 intro to physics one semester  course thru AIM Academy on line. 

we are only two and a half weeks in, and it is already wonderful.  

they use this textbook.

Prentice Hall Physical Science: Concepts in Action

but i am looking for a "next" physics class option.   :bigear:

i think the thread is a great idea!

ann

• Like 2

Thanks, Mark!  I'll probably take you up on that.  The physics thread will always be open to suggestions, additions, and criticism :) - just like the pinned chem and bio threads.

I do have a few questions for the physics folk, though.  In terms of math level required for each of the levels of physics, this is what I have so far:

Conceptual Physics - Alg 1 required

Regular Algebra-based Physics - Alg 2 required

Honours Algebra-based Physics - Alg 2 required

College level Physics - Calculus 1 required   (Is that what it's called in the States?  Or is it called Intro Calculus?)

AP Physics 1 & 2 (used to be AP Physics B) - Alg 2 required

AP Physics C - Calculus 1 required 

Am I on the right track?  Physics isn't my area of specialization and, although I took a number of physics courses at uni, it's been a long time and I don't honestly remember what math skills were needed. :)  I'm also Canadian and since we've always had integrated math here in high school, I'm never sure of what exactly is typically covered in each of the maths in the States.

I also recognize that, even within a category, there will be programs that require slightly more or slightly less math.  Just like in the chem thread, I'm only trying to give people a general idea of what level of math their student would need to complete a physics course at any particular level.

Thanks!

Conceptual Physics - Pre-Algebra some Algebra 1 

Regular Algebra-based HS Physics - Algebra 1, only basic Trig usually needed 

AP Physics 1 & 2 should be grouped with College Level Physics for non-majors

AP Physics C should be grouped with College Level Physics for Scientists and Engineers (sometimes called University Physics)

• Like 1

My understanding is that DO's Physics (Honors or Regular) only needs to have Algebra 1 completed - and not Algebra II.

Yes, only algebra 1 (I didn't indicate otherwise? Apologies if I did!). There was a little bit of trig but nothing that an interested student would have trouble picking up.

• Like 2

Yes, only algebra 1 (I didn't indicate otherwise? Apologies if I did!). There was a little bit of trig but nothing that an interested student would have trouble picking up.

Quark, we're considering DO next Fall.  Just curious if your son tried the honors version?  If so how challenging or difficult did he find it?

Thanks,

• Like 3

Just wanted to mention that for AP Physics C level physics (physics for scientists and engineers), I've seen recommendations for taking it concurrently with calculus 2 (which I understand to be equivalent to AP Calc BC). Please correct me if this is wrong (I'm following the community college course descriptions I've encountered).

Physics C has two parts. Mechanics can be done with calc 1, but the electricity&magnetism part benefits form more familiarity with integration, and should be accompanied or preceeded (which is our prerequ) by calc 2.

Ideally, it would actually be most beneficial for students of e&m to have completed multivariable calculus so they really understand what they are doing, alas, that is usually not to be.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Is anyone familiar with Principles of Physics by Perfection Learning?  I can't seem to find reviews. Personally, I've never heard of it before but that is what Kolbe Academy uses and Kolbe is my son's HS.

Thanks,

B.

You might find more information by searching on Kinetic Books Physics or doing a separate post with that title. There have been a few sporadic postings about this program but I couldn't find any good threads with reviews. One of the reasons it's not very popular here is that the publisher will not sell a Solutions Manual to homeschoolers. This should not be problem if you're taking the course through Kolbe.  I believe 8FillstheHeart's son used this program and was pleased with it.

Here's one review that might be helpful.

You might find more information by searching on Kinetic Books Physics or doing a separate post with that title. There have been a few sporadic postings about this program but I couldn't find any good threads with reviews. One of the reasons it's not very popular here is that the publisher will not sell a Solutions Manual to homeschoolers. This should not be problem if you're taking the course through Kolbe.  I believe 8FillstheHeart's son used this program and was pleased with it.

Here's one review that might be helpful.

That was very helpful, thanks! My son is wrapping up 9th grade (yes, we are still at it even at this late date!) and is taking Chem. Initially I was thinking of holding off of Physics intil 12th, perhaps at a community college (thinking out loud here) so he could get Calculs I under his belt and co-consume Calculus II as he is taking a Calculus based Physics course. The review you posted has me rethinking that approach.

Honesty, sometimes planning highschool courses feels more like planning military offensives! 

Nothing to add, but looking forward to the rest of the thread.

Thanks, everyone!

Btw, does anyone know if the Home Scientist (R B Thompson) is doing an illustrated guide to home physics experiments, like his chem and bio books? I would like to see that.

Not sure if you've already seen it :) but I did end up putting together a "Homeschool High School Physics" thread.  It's pinned on the High School board - here's the link:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540313-homeschool-high-school-physics/

I don't know if The Home Scientist has any plans for a physics guide but you might get more responses if you started an individual thread about it.  More people might see your question that way. :)

Not sure if you've already seen it :) but I did end up putting together a "Homeschool High School Physics" thread. It's pinned on the High School board - here's the link:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540313-homeschool-high-school-physics/

I don't know if The Home Scientist has any plans for a physics guide but you might get more responses if you started an individual thread about it. More people might see your question that way. :)

Oh, thank you. I will read it when I get off my phone. Obviously, I miss things when I use the tiny screen.

I'll just email the Home Scientist guy at some point.