Menu

Freezing cooking beef... please help!

MrsRobinson

FIL gifted us some beef from a high quality butcher that's over an hour away. Today is the sell by date but it still looks great. So I am thinking tomorrow, I need to cook some and freeze the rest. I am not great with knowing what to do with anything other than ground beef since I shop pretty frugally. That rules out a lot of beef. Anyway, I need suggestions on how to package it for freezing or would it be better to cook it all in the slow cooker and then freeze it? Or a combo? I'm clueless!

Here's what I've got:

-a 5.5 lb package of stew meat (I can use 1 lb to make beef stew for dinner tomorrow night)

-an 8.5 lb package of roast. It's sectioned into 3 seperate roasts.

TIA!

It will be better to freeze it uncooked. We just put ours in freezer bags, put a date on it and stick it in the freezer. (If I have freezer paper at the time, I wrap it in that first and then put it in a bag) I would stick all 3 roasts in their own separate bags. The stew beef I would put in 1 pound packages and then freeze.

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! So if I freeze the roasts, how long will they last in the freezer? I have freezer paper and freezer bags, so I guess that might buy me some time. Also, when I'm ready to cook a roast, would I just stick it in the fridge the day before I want to cook it? Would that be enough time for it to thaw? Each roast is approx. just shy of 3 lbs.

If well packaged your beef roasts will last months. I would say a year. However, since they are high quality beef I would plan on cooking those roasts at least once per month in the next couple months. You can make stew our of the leftover roasts so am thinking I would make stroganoff with the stew meat.

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! So if I freeze the roasts, how long will they last in the freezer? I have freezer paper and freezer bags, so I guess that might buy me some time. Also, when I'm ready to cook a roast, would I just stick it in the fridge the day before I want to cook it? Would that be enough time for it to thaw? Each roast is approx. just shy of 3 lbs.

I usually give my roasts 1-2 days in the frig to thaw. I bought some fresh beef in June. Stored in a deep freezer, properly wrapped, it still tastes great 6 months later!

If well packaged your beef roasts will last months. I would say a year. However, since they are high quality beef I would plan on cooking those roasts at least once per month in the next couple months. You can make stew our of the leftover roasts so am thinking I would make stroganoff with the stew meat.

Ooh,stroganoff is a great idea! I was thinking I need to scour Pinterest for some recipes.