Menu

Vacation to Oregon/Washington question...

*lifeoftheparty*

We live west of Portland. I'm an hour inland through the mountains from Cannon Beach (which is lovely) for perspective.

Last summer here was hot! And, it really did not rain at all except for the day of our church picnic in July. :P

I vote with those who say after labor day. Mid to late September is my favorite time of year here!

I haven't heard of Powell Books- I'll look it up! The falls and Columbia River Gorge are on my list :) And I have seen Voodoo Donuts on Food Network- I'll definitely put that down!

Yeah, I guess we'll pass on Vancouver... I have two boys who will be 12 and 4 when we go on this trip- Older DS and DH have requested more "adventurous" vacations, and fewer museums and "educational" vacations :-/ 

So, that's what I am focusing on.

Besides, I know that eventually we'll take an Alaskan cruise, and I've looked at those before, several of them have you flying into Vancouver- so we'll get to see it someday :)

Powell's! My favorite destination! And, I like Blue Star donuts much better than Voodoo even though Voodoo are the famous ones. Blue Star is easy walking distance from Powell's. If you're in Portland and into ice-cream, Salt and Straw is amazing! :)

We went to Mt St Helens in September and it is amazing! I just stood there on Johnston Ridge saying over and over again, "The whole side of the mountain is gone. It just blew off." I haven't been to Mt Rainier yet but Mt St Helens is a worthy trip if you're going up I-5.

Late summer is good. We've stayed at the treehouse place in cave junction. Very fun! My dad went in early spring and hated it. No heat, dripping roof, etc.... Cave junction is a little creepy, but the Oregon caves are worth a visit. Don't forget the Shakespeare festival and river rafting in the Rogue valley.