Menu

Gratitude - Week 1

Joanne

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very grateful for my best friend and husband, who feels like he is finally "waking up" after 4-1/2 years of living in a dense fog.  He is now back to wanting to give all of our savings away to the poor, so I know he is himself again.

I'm also deeply grateful for my five adult children who love each other and laugh constantly when they're all together.

I'm thankful to have had wonderful holiday visits with both sides of our family (different visits) and two of my three boys at home.  The games, the laughter, the food, the company - priceless.

(These times are going to be exceedingly rare in the future, so I'm really thankful for them now.)

I'm so grateful that my prayers were answered and I didn't get sick until all the children were well again. We spent the last several days of our trip to PA trying to quarantine all of the children, and DH, to keep them away from FIL (fevers, vomiting, body aches - we had just got over being sick BEFORE we left for PA, too!) - we couldn't leave or stay at a hotel away from FIL because he still needed me to help around the house at that point. I'm sick as crap now, but at least the kids and DH are well, and FIL appears to have not caught it.

I'm grateful for my fabulous teenager, who offered to go out to the car in the freezing rain, middle of last night, to get me the ibuprofen left in the car so I could bring my fever down. Oh, and she made jello :D

I'm always grateful for DH, who cuddled me in bed last night even though I went back obscenely early, and spent the night sweating because I was freezing and needed the fireplace on. 

Eternally grateful for DH's job. 

Jan 4: My new kitchen floors, I did them all by myself. Ds helped pick up wood and move appliances, but I did all the work. It was very cathartic, as ex is a contractor and he would have balked at the floors because they are not perfect, but they are done. It fits my style, my budget, and my house. Not once did I have someone tell me I was doing it wrong (let that statement settle a bit - it's a huge thing to me). I even discovered a working furnace vent under the floor the previous owner put down. It makes the kitchen 15 degrees warmer on days like today (near 0 degrees here). 

Jan 4: My new kitchen floors, I did them all by myself. Ds helped pick up wood and move appliances, but I did all the work. It was very cathartic, as ex is a contractor and he would have balked at the floors because they are not perfect, but they are done. It fits my style, my budget, and my house. Not once did I have someone tell me I was doing it wrong (let that statement settle a bit - it's a huge thing to me). I even discovered a working furnace vent under the floor the previous owner put down. It makes the kitchen 15 degrees warmer on days like today (near 0 degrees here).

😎

Grateful to have all my girlies at home today.  Grateful to a dh that loves working in 41 degrees Celcius heat (he feels fully alive while I feel half dead in such heat!), and to one of the dd's who is helping him construct a shed today!!  Grateful to have middle dd home, and that she will clean my house for me (I've still got zero energy after this really awful flu). Grateful for my eldest daughter's boyfriend who completely gets her, and is so good for her. :-)

I am grateful to be here, to be home, and sick in my own bed. I am grateful, enormously grateful, for my awesome DH who held down the fort, cleaned up after vomiting kids, did nebulizer treatments every 4 hours for one kid, managed meds (amidst the protests of a three year old), and stayed supportive for me after sending me off by ambulance. He couldn't be with me at the hospital, but he managed everything and is somehow still healthy and smiling. I love him for many reasons, but knowing I can depend on him is something I never want to take for granted.

For a productive day and feeling prepared for the week ahead. Was able to make and/or prep everything for breakfast and lunch for this week along with all of the weekly baking. Also got all of my work clothes washed and ironed.

For some time to relax and give myself a facial and a manicure.

For good health.

I am grateful to be here, to be home, and sick in my own bed. I am grateful, enormously grateful, for my awesome DH who held down the fort, cleaned up after vomiting kids, did nebulizer treatments every 4 hours for one kid, managed meds (amidst the protests of a three year old), and stayed supportive for me after sending me off by ambulance. He couldn't be with me at the hospital, but he managed everything and is somehow still healthy and smiling. I love him for many reasons, but knowing I can depend on him is something I never want to take for granted.

:grouphug: Sorry you are so sick! :(

Jan 3.

DD16 has a new friend who seems like a pretty nice kid.  DD has a crush on another boy who I think is going to be a problem.  I am hoping that this new friend will be there to help her navigate what it surely going to be a bad relationship. 

DS20 headed out the door to go swing dancing with a friend tonight.  I love the fact that he likes to try new things.  I'm am too uncoordinated and self conscious to do something like that.  I adore the fact that my kids aren't like me.  

DD8 is excited to go back to school tomorrow.  I am hoping for at least one good day before she goes back to her normal bad attitude. 

I'm grateful that my youngest son can go to a school that makes him happy.  I love homeschooling but I just can't do high school and first grade at the same time.  We had a lovely Christmas break and I'll miss him but I know he's in a good place today.  (As a side note, I'm also grateful for kind neighbors who gave him a ride to school when his regular ride didn't work out and dh had already left for work.)

Thankful for my daughter who was able to do my 5hr nanny/housekeeper job today while I'm still getting over the 'flu.

Thankful I'm very nearly over the flu, and feeling better than I've felt for a week.

Thankful that there is a cooler change expected tomorrow after 2 days over 40degreesC

For reliable city transit. Took a long time to get home today, but would have taken even longer to drive with all the snow we had overnight and way more stressful.

That I managed to get a good chunk of my work project done today.

That my husband's job allows him some flexibility to be able to drop off and pick up our son from school.

Thankful for: 1. DH who took all three kids with him to the oldest one's practice 2. My car, it is a nice luxury to have a second vehicle and I am glad it is still running  3. The calendars I got today for the kids - they will be thrilled when I give them to them tomorrow. 

I'm grateful for the 'tired' thread that has me rolling around the bed laughing uproariously!  So many of them are like me, and it's therapeutic to read and relate!

I'm grateful again for my neighbouring teens coming to clean and garden.  It's so nice to see the the house looking better than it's looked in the week I've been sick.

I'm grateful to have talked to my dear Aunty this morning.  Her husband's funeral is tomorrow, and I called to tell her my thoughts have been with her.  I ended up being so uplifted and amazed with her grace, her love for him, her happiness at his being called home when he was suffering, her acceptance, her positive spin on the last three years of caring for him night and day.  It was amazing….I'm crying writing this.  

This week - Physical Therapy. I am eternally grateful for the field and the professionals that work in it as I watch ds's limp slowly disappear.

My parents - they are just the best people, so compassionate, helpful, kind, and loving. They are 72 and should be worried about themselves, but mostly they worry about us instead. I don't know what I would do without them.

Heat - it's 1 degree outside and the wind chill is -5 so I am very aware of how lucky we are that we can afford to keep our house toasty warm.

Oooo I really like this thread :hurray:

Today I am thankful for our family time. We have been living with my mom for a few years now and she is housesitting until April for her brother. So we are getting to experience living alone for the winter and my heart could just burst I'm so happy. (Hopefully that doesn't sound mean, lol.)

I'm also thankful that everyone is feeling better. We have all been very sick since Christmas.

I'm thankful for a new day, and another chance to get this parenting/homeschooling thing right :laugh:

I'm thankful that I don't have to go to the dentist again for many months.  I'm glad I could go and take care of my teeth and blah blah blah, but visiting the dentist isn't the most delightful thing a person can do.  Except for that one dentist we had in Seattle.  It was fun to go there.

For January 5 & 6: Monday we had a very nice school day. We laughed and school just felt good. 

Tuesday: It was a rough day - how about getting all the errands done with my mom while it was not extremely cold and snowing - that's about all I got. 

I'll edit later for today, but at this point I got nothing because being woken up to the sound of the cat popping (he has bowel issues) on the floor was NOT a grateful item. 

January 7: Grateful for my dog - who is very much like a toddler with separation anxiety. It's so totally nice to be idolized by someone who will keep you warm in bed. Tomorrow she goes to the vet for her yearly shots. I may have to drive her around a bit afterward as she loves car rides and the vet's office is literally just down the street. She'll also be mad at me. 

Tonight I am thankful that:

1. My kids enjoy watching original Little House on the Prairie episodes as much as The Avengers.

2. I have a Dh who worries about the chickens in the cold and is willing to go out in the dark and put a tarp around the coop.

3. I have clean, safe water to drink in every season and kind of weather.

Jan 8 - I feel all responsible. My dog has now had her shots, heartworm check, and is once again licensed with the city. Last year I could only afford the rabies shot and license. I'll pick up her heartworm pills in a few weeks. 

For years ex would tell me to schedule these things and he could come up with the money. He would never budget for these type of expenses and more often than not, they wouldn't get done because money ran out. I feel a great sense of relief to be able to make the financial choice of responsibility even when I have a really small budget. 

My dog was also very good at the vets. She's a baby, but hates being picked at or having blood drawn. She got treats, didn't even growl when getting her blood drawn, and got more treats.